What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(DON'T) Flush & let plant yellow before harvest?

Redrum92

I've read some articles saying that the only thing that can harshen the taste of bud is chlorophyll. However the whole notion of flushing to get rid of "minerals" or "nutrients" is said by some to be b.s. Starving the plant only slows its ability to produce the goodies. Yes it'll kill some chlorophyll, but a good slow cure will do that anyway. Doing this also will also diminish the flavor/aroma.

So basically... Is excessive flushing and starving plant really necessary? It seems redundant if you have time to do a proper slow cure. And even harmful.

I dont have enough experience to argue either side. However the science seems to support what I've stated here. I realize this goes against what is commonly believed by most growers, so I'm ready for some people to be pissed off ...

Discuss

Yeah you wanna suck those sugars out plus terpenoids love that terminal stress I go for 7 days without even pHing some go 2-3 weeks

Feed a plant molasses and don't flush. It will taste like burned sugar when smoked. Cannabutter won't clump together. Shelf life diminishes. Learned this the hard way as you can see.

I'm going with my first run of no flush! I am also no longer using organic ferts. I may taper a bit the last week but no flush.
I'm also going to give a water cure to a small amount to see what that's all about. It's nice not to follow the crowd every now and then:) I'm def interested on other peoples thoughts and comments. Cool topic, this was on my mind.

Redrum92

And not to be a dick but the words "white ash" in regards to this argument will lose you some credence in my book

Redrum92

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I use molasses as everyone I respect says its invaluable. But as far as sugars in bud? I guess I will try and see for myself. Sometimes other things may cause an effect you may erroneously attribute to something else. You never know.

Water cure is for people in the UK who get glass beads on their nugs. It has no benefit other than for contams it will leach water soluble terpenoids killing flavor and smell. You want to cure it fast use a freezer.

I do know actually. Its called experience, son.

Look up what brix content is in food crops for more scientific information on this very topic. Lots of good info here on the forum about it.

Redrum92

I'm not disregarding your experience or saying you're wrong. Lots of people agree with you. I'm just saying its very hard to tell what exactly caused something. Even if you do repeated experiments with many control clones, and experiment clones side by side, with very tight, dialed in conditions, it can still be hard to pinpoint exactly what caused what. Just something to consider.

That may be true but definitely not for this. You sound like a skeptic just like myself. I uses to believe it didn't matter. Because of that I now know that it does! See for yourself do a side by side and get observational data on just how much of a difference it makes.

White ASHES! I have not flushed due to mould issues before and I did not like the smoke. Dark grey ash and some slight sparking. GH organic and blackstrap.

To each their own, but I will continue to flush.

Organic nutes will benefit from a flush more then a GH 2 part. I use Kiss feeding method along with some of the better growers on here, many which either taper or use no flush at all so don't bombard us and say it doesn't work, because I can assure you it can be done with great results. I also have experience son

People want to feed their plants 30 bottles of over hyped garbage premixed in a bottles! I guess if that's the case, yeah flush the shit out of them.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I flush my toilet..... yeehaw.. I grow organic hard to flush away unlike chems .. I make a proper soil mix and supplement .. I taper off and let nature do its thing...if you need to flush you fed too much lol ..waste

Sovereign

I flush my toilet..... yeehaw.. I grow organic hard to flush away unlike chems .. I make a proper soil mix and supplement .. I taper off and let nature do its thing...if you need to flush you fed too much lol ..waste

Boom words not in my mouth....
I was wondering...I just water. ..sometimes I use bsmol..2 or 3 or maybe 4 times during a run...maybe none if I am out..never ph anything...I water ...how would I flush? I want to keep all my goodies in the soil...I just tell the plants "don't eat if you ain't hungry.." then eventually they die and I light them on fire...incidentallyif you inhale their smoke you get high as fuck..:tiphat:
Soil is lc mix recycled going on 5 years...used to rock pbp and shit when I started now I also prefer this way...easy...simple..no flushing for me i guess..:)

Redrum92

That may be true but definitely not for this. You sound like a skeptic just like myself. I uses to believe it didn't matter. Because of that I now know that it does! See for yourself do a side by side and get observational data on just how much of a difference it makes.

I definitely will and thanks for your input

Everyone else too. I will still do (a very minimal) flush.. But not nearly as much as some recommend as I use much less nutes than some do, as I grow in soil, and the plants have yet to show deficiencies- I think that makes a difference. Also over a plants entire lifetime it sees only 3 different nutrient products. KISS ftw.

Dready_jake

id like to point out that the people who believe strains dont finnish overdose their plants on the N towards the end of flower. regardless of wether we taper or flush or both or neither. we need to focus on making sure we dont over or under do certain things.

sativas dont like N after a certain point in flower in my experience and can coast on whats in their leaves for like a month. leading to N overdose and prolonged flower with airy buds. We all need to stop and take a look at how much N they have in their nutes and recognize the signs of N overdose. I see it constantly in the show off your buds threads lol

My 2cents

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
no N was what got me to use ej ferts way back.. the flower has zero n and with meta k you can tweek it a bit...yeehaw...still using ej after all these years.. but more as a supplement than main fert source...

Dready_jake

no N was what got me to use ej ferts way back.. the flower has zero n and with meta k you can tweek it a bit...yeehaw...still using ej after all these years.. but more as a supplement than main fert source...

Exactly why I chose the line I did. Complete comtrol over N.
What is ej, earthjuice?

Y

yted

i lower the ph in the last 2 weeks then flush with water for 3 days before chop