What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

P

pine boy

I took some bubble to an old friend that just had a knee replacement .He call me 4 times to thank me .He said he was halucinating and his ole lady thought he o.d.'d on his meds.
I had a good laugh this morning when I returned his calls.
Verts good because its e.z.Drop a bulb down and surround with plants,feed em right.No B.S.
Simplify...

halitzor

Great thread HGO!

I have been looking at doubled's MPB bucket setups as my future system, they use vert lighting. I want to do a setup using 8 400w CMH bulbs laid out like
picture.php
where the X are plants and the 0 are pairs of stacked bulbs. It is going to take me quite a while to get all the pieces together but for now it is my dream system that I am planning for.

Its not worth it. The 400w CMH's dont penetrate enough. Im using them right now. They will be amazing once they make it to 1000w size though.

Avid Fan

would it be worth it to put up some diamond mylar if doing a vertical circular grow?
would white walls be enough?

Che

Veteran
I love my CMH bulbs, they grow VERY resious bud, but you have to defoliate the plants to improve yield. If I was going to use them in a vert XO pattern I would use 50% CMH and 50% HPS. 1000W CMH's would be KILLER

G.J. Stoner

Hey All,

I was interested in trying a grow tent when it occured to me that a round one would be better. I'll have to build my own. I have one designed and can build it on the cheap for $50.00. For another hundred I can build it with Orca grow film.

So...in my fruiless search for Round grow tents I kept running into links for icmag.com and here I am.

I wasn't familiar with Vertical grows but my idea was identical so it took a while, and some reading up, before it dawned on me to search vertical. Duh!

Nice to be here, looking forward to the experience.

Thanks,
Rick

D

dramamine

cool thread...I like those lighting charts, especially. That is the most pertinent information, really.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Its not worth it. The 400w CMH's dont penetrate enough. Im using them right now. They will be amazing once they make it to 1000w size though.

The horizontal ones I have been using seem to penetrate just fine but what do I know, just a newb. Either way I am going to try it next round. I will be doing three 400w CMH in a straight line down the middle for my first vert run, wish me luck.

0 0 0 0
x x x
0 0 0 0

halitzor

You'd be much better off putting those 3 lights on a spinner and getting them close to a larger cylinder canopy. As you stated above you can only have a max width of your cylinder of about 20 inches, any further than 10 inches from bulb and the 400 won't do shit. I have 400w cmh's. They're great for veg and single plant grows but not enough penetration for seriousness.

uptosumpn

Veteran
great thread and read.......I have successfully tried the vert style, (bare bulb/600hps with blue 2' HO T5 in ea corner) in a 4' x 4' x 6'.5"tent and I had good results...BUT can alwayz do betta!!
I would like some input and/or advice to better my set-up/style.....FYI...I grow AUTOS in 3gal bags,(14"tall) and yeilded on avg 1oz per, dry...[now I know you reg. strains plant guys frown on autos, but that is not the topic, cool?] i am looking to UP my yeild to @ least 2 per....now i have read on the horizontal vs verticle stuff and would like to know what style would be best for autos??? [avg. 16 plants] stadium, colliesum, vscrog, ect.?? how far away should lights be away from top & sides of plants?? to use or not to use cooltube?? any tips, ideas, sugg would be greatly appreciated......

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
:bump:

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone and HGO in particular for the inspiration to go vert. I am about two and half weeks into veg on my 400W vert CMH RDWC grow so we will see how these little bulbs do. Linkypoo

northstate

ICMag Donor
Hey to all the folks doing vert and changing it up. way to go! Just finished remodeling my 12x13 4k and halfway through my grow I found SelfHemployed's thread(WOW!), and now I cannot wait to rip out all the ducting, hoods and actually use the top half of the room! This method makes so much sense to me 360deg. of light and getting uber close for max light penetration. The charts alone that HGO put up are enough to convince me, but the talk and numbers from you guys doesnt hurt either. ICmag is making so much info available and I will be sharing my new found knowledge with our crew and patients. Definately going to make my first grow journal a vertical one (after 5 years in the game...) Thanks to all who put up info and share the knowledge, I will return the favor in about three weeks! NS

kjz71521

very interesting. im starting a grow with a vert 150w hps in my flower room. Im really anticipating to see how this second grow comes out.

Illlustrates the concept well, but it doesn't take into account light penetration. This alters the formula from surface area, to volume. With larger plants and 1000w lights, canopy penetration is quite significant.

Naturally, the canopy method is well suited to SCROG/SOGs. And it fosters some nice grow room designs!

This thread is looooooooooong overdue, please allow me to tag along. And if I may I would like to request the kind insight of the community. Pardon me, but I am just a practical guy hoping to gain some practical understanding... Full of questions and hoping for some answers

The above quote is clearly something we all need to understand. The vertical grow area, shaped like a tube, can be calculated as follows:

2 x pi x r x h = vertical grow area.
Use 3.14 for pi, r = radius, and h = height.

Let's say, for game's sake, that I would like to build a 360 degree vert grow with multiple levels of plants. Grow style is SOG (many plants), aim being to deliver heavy yield in least time (ie. maximize yield per day).

1a. What is optimal distance between plant sites, horizontally / vertically / plants per sqf?

1b. How long to veg from rooted clone before 12/12?

2. Optimal distance from plant tops to lights at start / end of cycle? Respectively 600w / 1000w?

3. How much light penetration / bud growth is there below the lighted surface?

4. Any ideas on for an easy DIY vert setup for 1-2 x 1000w? (You never know might as well ask..)

Prefer to ask too many than too few, hope you don't mind. No really, thanks in advance for sharing your experiences, insights, and keeping this thread constructive.

This is IT folks! Well, at least I'm pretttttty stoked let's see where this goes, smile, pufffffff.

Earl

Bud-Boy

Veteran
Vert vets,

What kind of diameter does one want around a 1k bare bulb?

Im building 2 600w setups for my next run, think aill add a 1k too

J

Joe Budden

Vert vets,

What kind of diameter does one want around a 1k bare bulb?

Im building 2 600w setups for my next run, think aill add a 1k too

You can get your canopy very close with vertical, try 10-14 inches from bulb > canopy. Have a good extraction and a floor fan pushing the hot air towards the extraction.

whodare

Veteran
18-24, too close and the plant cant use the extra energy. your better off spreading it and putting more plants.

dustin27

Veteran
Hell yes. I need to lose the reflector. I know I saw somewhere on here, someone taking a batwing and choppin to make a bare bulb. Gonna try that!