What's new

Can I cure in cleaned food jars?

M

michael68

Can I just clean out those glass salsa/jam jars and use them for curing? Aren't those mostly airtight and basically mason jars?

Sleepy

Veteran
yep...get 'em nice and clean, then dry 'em really good.

the gallon sliced pepper jars from the sandwich shoppes/pizzerias work real nice.

K

kannubis

They work great for small amounts. Sleepy gets better than small amounts it appears. :)

M

michael68

Cheers guys, one more question, probably been discussed but I'll ask anyway before I search.

How long on average does it take to manicure an ounce of bud? By hand using scissors. A half hour?

Expecting a couple ounces from my first harvest. :dance013:

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
Clean them really good though, I've got an artichoke jar that would ruin an ounce in no time if it wasn't cleaned it out really good (3 or4 or 5 times)

I would be surprised if I could trim an ounce in half an hour with clean up and everything more like an hour or two.

Happy bud day : )

K

kannubis

Your first couple will take you longer to trim than a half pound will in the future. :)

A

ak-51

How long on average does it take to manicure an ounce of bud? By hand using scissors. A half hour?

Expecting a couple ounces from my first harvest. :dance013:
I think an hour a piece would be a good starting point for an estimate. Of course that depends on a lot of things. I usually start trimming off fan leaves little by little in the 2-3 days before flushing is complete, so that takes a little bit of time off of the total. The big thing that got me this time was popcorn bud. It took me probably 2 hours to trim up all of my fat buds, the ones that I estimate account for more than half of my total weight. The small shit takes forever, especially when you have to constantly make a call on whether to trim it up or to throw it in with all of the other sugar cut. I ended up throwing a lot of popcorn buds and airy ones into sugar cut; I figured it would all get smoked one way or another.

Don't sweat it, make sure to set aside more time then you think you'll need. Harvest day is a happy day! Shouldn't feel like a chore.

real ting

Well, if you can get it clean enough it would work great. I remember those gallon jars sleepy is talking about. They'd be a great size. Those pickling juices are tough to scrub out though, and the smell is terrible, so get em real clean, then clean em again.

However the big mouth mason jars are pretty cheap, I think a case of 12 is less than $20 at most grocery stores. And you know the seal will be great, since it's fresh and used for canning.

I think an hour a piece would be a good starting point for an estimate. Of course that depends on a lot of things. I usually start trimming off fan leaves little by little in the 2-3 days before flushing is complete, so that takes a little bit of time off of the total. The big thing that got me this time was popcorn bud. It took me probably 2 hours to trim up all of my fat buds, the ones that I estimate account for more than half of my total weight. The small shit takes forever, especially when you have to constantly make a call on whether to trim it up or to throw it in with all of the other sugar cut. I ended up throwing a lot of popcorn buds and airy ones into sugar cut; I figured it would all get smoked one way or another.

Don't sweat it, make sure to set aside more time then you think you'll need. Harvest day is a happy day! Shouldn't feel like a chore.

Yeah, don't worry about the time it will take if it's your first time. It totally varies depending on how leafy the bud is, how close you like to manicure, your speed, how much popcorn you got, etc.

Funny about the popcorn, the longer you spend trimming it, less and less of it makes it past the sugar trim bucket. Makes for great bubble hash though!

Latest posts

Latest posts