What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growers "amnesty" for selling out.

Brother Nature

I came across this article in our local paper (well the online version) and after reading through it, then finding more about this amnesty program, I was rather annoyed but also somewhat amused at the naivety they think we in the cannabis community have. I couldn't imagine any grower let alone breeder, whose worked years underground, illegally skirting every effort the government makes to lock them up, give up the rights to their years of hard-work for a cash payout and the 'possibility' of ongoing royalties all some some rich lister can slap a "Made in NZ" tag on it and hike the price up 40%.

I do wonder what others in our community think though? I was also wondering if this is something that has been practiced in any other emerging legal markets (I'm mainly looking at Canada) as I haven't actually heard anything like this. From a business perspective 'crowd sourcing' your genetics seems kinda of genius really, let someone else do all the hard work, sit back then reap the benefits. But, i just can't see many real breeders actually buying this crap. Aside from that I can only really think of a couple NZ bread strains that are still in existence that aren't simply re-names of Dutch, US, or Aussie genetics.

Calling all growers: Cannabis firm Helius Therapeutics looking to sign deals with Kiwis growing marijuana

30 Nov, 2018 6:28am

By: Damien Venuto Business Reporter, NZ Herald
damien.venuto@nzherald.co.nz

Medicinal cannabis firm Helius Therapeutics is calling on New Zealanders secretly growing unique strains of marijuana to come out of the shadows.

The company, one of only three licensed cannabis producers in New Zealand, aims to enter into commercial deals that will see Kiwi strains of medicinal marijuana taken to the international market.
Yesterday, the Misuse of Drugs (Medicinal Cannabis) Amendment Bill passed its second reading and the Government announced that licensed producers will be allowed to onboard illicit cannabis strains already being grown in the country.

Helius Therapeutics executive director Paul Manning said this amnesty programme provides access to "a potential treasure trove of therapeutic compounds", which rivals the best in the world.

"With unique New Zealand strains, we will now have the opportunity to further differentiate ourselves from imported products," Manning says.

"What's more, the export market for medicinal cannabis is worth billions to the economy and we know that authentic New Zealand products will be in high demand."

Manning says Helius has developed a commercial programme that will see breeders recognised and their unique strains protected.
"Owners will receive an upfront genetics fee and the opportunity of ongoing royalties for strains that are adopted. We'll cover the costs of characterising local strains, which will be done in our analytical laboratory," says Manning.

Helius Therapeutics has set up a section of its website specifically dedicated to growers who are eager to bring forward their strains of the plant.

Yesterday's announcement from the Government comes only a week after Helius Therapeutics acquired Buy NZ Made certification, which gives the business permission to put the "NZ Made" or "NZ Grown" badge on any cannabis products derived from plants grown in New Zealand.

Here's a snippet from Helius own website regarding the amnesty project. (https://www.helius.co.nz/genetics)

AMNESTY FOR LOCAL CANNABIS STRAINS

We're want to hear from local cannabis breeders who are interested in supplying genetics for the country's medicinal cannabis scheme.

New Zealand Government has signalled that as a licensed producer, Helius will be allowed to onboard unique New Zealand cannabis strains, already in the country.

Access to local strains will happen through an amnesty which may last only a few weeks. The dates of this amnesty have not yet been published, but we want to hear from breeders now so we're well prepared.

We’ve developed a commercial program to ensure breeders are recognised and their strains are protected. Breeders will receive an upfront Genetics Fee and the opportunity of ongoing royalties for strains that are adopted by for use in our medicinal cannabis cultivation. Helius will cover the costs of characterising these local strains, which will be done in our analytical laboratory

New Zealand’s breeders can contact us in confidence through the secure web form on this page. Alternatively, you can email enquiries@helius.co.nz

Tahoe22

Never heard of that happening anywhere else yet but I agree that from a business perspective it is an ingenious proposition. Classic power move (let others do all the work and you take the credit).

Feelings will always be mixed about something like this. In one corner you might have a breeder not so worried about the financial aspect due to their ecstaticity about the opportunity to have their strain(s) distributed on a commercial scale because they just want vast amounts of people (many who they will never meet or interact with) to utilize and enjoy their creation.

On the other hand there are many growers/breeders that hold their genetics extremely close to the chest and not only wouldn't want a vast array of people unbeknownst to them consuming their product but also would not be ok with the idea of their strains not being "theirs" anymore.At that point despite the upfront fee and the supposed royalties/ownership credit there is nothing to stop the people in control of the actual op producing the product from either A) further distributing the genetics without knowledge or consent from the original source or B) taking the cuts from them, bringing them elsewhere and running/distributing the finished product under a completely different name (therefore stripping you of your royalties and diverting the profits solely to them).

Interesting read.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
It would be a difficult choice to make and trust but if they were greedy enough to offer my family the freedom to grow unrestricted for the rest of our years they could have any strain of mine they wanted. To me it seems a well funded modern operation especially with access to lab testing would quickly catch up with any breeder that has had to hide in the shadows for decades.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes but how many actual serious breeders are there in New Zealand?

In my 20+ years of being a seed distributor I have only ever had one NZ breeder/seed company in my stock and that was Kiwi seeds - and his stock was always a very slow seller.

There are possibly a few home-hybrid makers - but I have never heard of any serious breeding work going on in NZ - but would be interested if there was.

We live in a corporate world - and although many of us are not so happy about that - as we see mum and dad small businesses suffer and die because of it - maybe this offer might be good for a few growers/breeders out in NZ - so long as they are adequately rewarded for whatever they do - maybe not? - I guess that time will tell.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Never heard of that happening anywhere else yet but I agree that from a business perspective it is an ingenious proposition. Classic power move (let others do all the work and you take the credit).

In Canada, new licencees (Standard, Nursery and Micro) will be able to bring in, as a one time event, genetics that are not from the legal market. Simply put, there isn't enough genetic diversity in the legal domain. This fixes it.

So it'll be a one shot deal, with no royalties, for seed hoarders. I believe is that the powers that be are hoping and assuming that black market growers are going to go legit and licence themselves. A legit Licensed Producer could also source their seeds from the black market and "make a deal" with the holder for their seeds.

It would be pretty easy for a NZ company to tell you "Junk. We don't want it." and keep your shit.

Personally, if I was a Canadian LP, I'd offer a golden package to someone like Hemp Depot or another broker, close it down and voila. Instant massive library.

Edit: On second thought, an enterprising person could capitalize on this and just keep growing. lol

Raho

Veteran
Amnesty for what? Growing a plant? Making our own medicine? Making seeds?

They can shove their forgiveness up their ass.

The smokers, growers and breeders have done nothing wrong.
THEY (the govt, big pharma, big tobacco, big alcohol, big prison, etc.) are the ones that should be asking for amnesty.

Let them buy their seeds on the open market and steal the work of others that way.
I can hear it now:
"Our unique NZ OG is unlike any other OG in the world, because . . . it's NZ OG."

S

Sertaiz

the way of the future,the way of the future, the way of the future, ........(goes steadily insane.)

in the glassblowing world some pipe makers have chinese buyers looking to buy whole cases of the best work, sample style. they bring it to the factory and imitate the every curve and color. And they are getting better. some guys sell chinese next to their stuff just to keep up.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
the way of the future,the way of the future, the way of the future, ........(goes steadily insane.)

in the glassblowing world some pipe makers have chinese buyers looking to buy whole cases of the best work, sample style. they bring it to the factory and imitate the every curve and color. And they are getting better. some guys sell chinese next to their stuff just to keep up.

All of Asia is like that.

troutman

Seed Whore
It would be nice if they allowed breeders to make seeds without interference. I personally never would
get into the weed business. I prefer making seeds and would be happy to do it legally if I could without
spending a ton of cash on lawyers and paperwork.

:tiphat:

EvergreenState

picture.php

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With NZ becoming a mecca for the SUPER RICH to build fallout shelters, I wonder what the scam really consists of?

WHO is actually making the offer and WHAT are their business models?
WHO, ultimately, will have control of that which may be donated?

It's a scam folks... I offer no proof... just my gut feeling.

clearheaded

yea there is zero chance they would be payed royaltys no biz would do that.

canadian LPs did same thing. majority never made it past the cutting room floor (pardon the pun).

At least there they get its about export. here in canada dont think average joe gets how much of LPs actually export to germany and get euros for there garbage lol. these are the days of milk and honey but things are gunna get a little ruffer in the next 5 years as more countries come on board.

therevverend

Veteran
It's all in the deal if you get it on paper you get royalties you'll get your royalties. Buy a lawyer to cover your ass and become part of the corporate bullshit workforce. The way they word it, amnesty, stinks. I have a feeling there's not much foundation for trust the way the NZ government has behaved.

I'd be curious, I am curious, what's in it for the growers. If you can sell them seeds for royalties why not take it? Even if it's 1% of future crops you come out great. It's not like you have to stop growing or breeding your own shit. I'd always take a % over cash up front.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So let me get this straight... there is no amnesty yet, but they want you to identify yourself to them anyway. :loco:

OldCoolSativa

Amnesty for what? Growing a plant? Making our own medicine? Making seeds?

They can shove their forgiveness up their ass.

The smokers, growers and breeders have done nothing wrong.
THEY (the govt, big pharma, big tobacco, big alcohol, big prison, etc.) are the ones that should be asking for amnesty.

Right on brother. I couldn't have said it better.

Latest posts

Latest posts