What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Friends eyes are screwed...I wonder....

KymmySue003

Hi, me my husband (of 20 years) and his childhood friend since age 10 are 41. I met hubby at 20 years old....the friends been smoking since his teens as have I off and on if around it. This friend started coming over a lot in 2012 and we smoked every time we were around each other which was a lot. Needless to say I smoke a half o a week now. Now my friends eye have been burning and itching for over a month..he's been to numerous doctors that couldnt find anything then the last one did some test by putting papers in his eyes looking for tears..none for the whole 5 minutes...so he has chronic dry eye and dr. put something in his eyes. Friend did a lot of trimming weed for years until about a couple months ago. Could trimming have anything to do with that, and would trimming again hurt it worse?
Thanks for any ideas.
Kim

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome to ICMag!! :D

First I've heard of this. I wouldn't rule out the connection to trimming, did he ever complain of eye issues while trimming? Did he trim a harvest contaminated with something?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I do not think trimming the chronic is the cause of chronic dry eye. Google it and it says

Dry eyes can develop for many reasons, including:

Age. Dry eyes are a part of the natural aging process. The majority of people over age 65 experience some symptoms of dry eyes.

Gender. Women are more likely to develop dry eyes due to hormonal changes caused by pregnancy, the use of oral contraceptives and menopause.

Medications. Certain medicines, including antihistamines, decongestants, blood pressure medications and antidepressants, can reduce tear production.

Medical conditions. People with rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes and thyroid problems are more likely to have symptoms of dry eyes. Also, problems with inflammation of the eyelids (blepharitis), inflammation of the surfaces of the eye, or the inward or outward turning of eyelids can cause dry eyes to develop.

Environmental conditions. Exposure to smoke, wind and dry climates can increase tear evaporation resulting in dry eye symptoms. Failure to blink regularly, such as when staring at a computer screen for long periods of time, can also contribute to drying of the eyes.

Other factors. Long-term use of contact lenses can be a factor in the development of dry eyes. Refractive eye surgeries, such as LASIK, can decrease tear production and contribute to dry eyes.

St. Phatty

Other factors. Long-term use of contact lenses can be a factor in the development of dry eyes. Refractive eye surgeries, such as LASIK, can decrease tear production and contribute to dry eyes.

Laser Eye Surgery is by far the most common cause of Significant Dry Eye, in the US.

therevverend

Veteran
I don't know how trimming could cause dry eye. The best the doctor can do is give him special eye drops that may or may not work.

My friend's been trimming for 40 years his eyes are shot. Has to wear this crazy head set with magnifying lenses and a super bright light. He's not looking forward to trimming this year.

My hands are getting bad, cramping up having trouble holding the scissors. We need to get a hold of the union I want workers comp!

St. Phatty

The last time I saw an ophthalmologist, she told me that hot baths can cause eye pain.

That was in 2006.

Haven't seen an ophthalmologist since.

Latest posts

Latest posts