What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crazy strong cannabutter recipe

insomniac_AU

Hi everyone! I thought I'd share this recipe with you all. I'm aware there are a number of other recipes on here but they all seem to be missing the key ingredient, lecithin.
The recipe below is probably overly strong but I like that. My missus had one piece of brownie I made on the weekend at about 7pm and greened out. She sat there spinning out with a bucket next to her till 1am. Not for beginners.

Ingredients:
-Butter 500gms (I use unsalted butter)
-Cannabis - this is entirely up to you, I used 28gms of popcorn buds.
-Slow cooker
-Cheese cloth, milk bag or bubble hash bag.
-Lecithin - liquid is best
-Bowl or container

Explanation on the importance of lecithin:

THC is lipophilic, meaning it attracts fats and lipids due to its non-polar molecular structure. Similarly, water is polar and therefore only attracts hydrophilic substances. Lecithin is a fatty substance derived from plant and animal tissue that is amphiphilic, meaning it attracts both water AND fats / lipids.
The reason this is so important is because in order for a drug, in this case THC, to enter our blood stream, it needs to become water soluble. This is because our blood contains water, not fats. Because the THC must transfer from a fat to enter your blood, taking THC in the form of edibles has traditionally had an overall lower bioavailability and slower rate of absorption. If you’ve ever waited multiple hours to start feeling an edible, you know this fact well.
By using lecithin to increase the bioavailability of the THC, not only do you increase the medicinal and recreational value of the THC, you also massively increase the speed at which the THC is absorbed by the body.

Step 1. Decarboxylate your cannabis

Preheat oven to ~225 F. Spread your cannabis over an oven-safe dish, ideally no deeper than 0.5″ or 1.2 cm in any spot. Cover the dish with foil or put it inside an oven bag. Put the sealed dish in the oven for 30 minutes. If your cannabis is fresh and not totally dry, you may want to consider leaving it in the oven for an extra 10-20 minutes. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes while still covered.

Step 2. Cooking

Set up your crock pot and turn on. Start by adding about an inch and a half of water. The amount you use doesn't really matter as it will be discarded at the end anyway. Just make sure there is enough so it doesn't boil dry and not so much that you need a huge container to hold the end product. There are a number of advantages to using water when cooking your butter. First of all it ensures the temperature of the butter never exceeds 212f or 100c. Secondly it will clean any water soluble plant material from the butter.

Add butter and decarboxylated cannabis. Add 1/2 cup of powdered lecithin / lecithin granules per 8 oz of butter. You can also use liquid lecithin, which you wont need quite as much of. If using liquid lecithin, you’ll want about 2oz per 8oz of butter. I highly recommend using liquid lecithin. Granules will work but they don't fully dissolve and it is very difficult to squeeze all the butter out of what's left.

picture.php

Once this mix comes to the boil turn to low heat and let simmer. Stir 2-3 times in the first hour and after that stir every 2-3 hours. Cook for 8 hours at least, I cooked mine for 12 hours. You could even let it go 24hrs just make sure the water doesn't boil dry and add more if necessary.

Step 3. Final steps

Strain cannabutter through cheese cloth, milk bag, bubble bag etc. Don't use paper coffee filter bags as they will tear easily when you are trying to squeeze the butter out of the waste.
Make sure to squeeze as much as you can.
Place container covered in fridge overnight preferably. In the morning the the cannabutter will be set hard at the top of the container with the waste water underneath. Gently remove the cannabutter and rinse with clean water and dry with paper towel. I find using a plastic container makes it easier to get the cannabutter out because you can stretch the sides to loosen it.

That’s it, now you’ve got your cannabutter! It’s time to decide what you want to make with it, and the sky is the limit. Cannabutter will remain usable for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator and 2-3 months in the freezer.

insomniac_AU

I find the lecithin does work wonders.
Yeah I think it's key.

"...According to BadKat of BadKatsCannaPharm.com, the absorption rate with lecithin added is close to intravenous administration. The end result is more THC absorbed and less wasted. Lecithin’s incredible ability to increase the bioavailability and absorption rate of drugs doesn’t stop with THC. It is now being used to aid in the absorption of Vitamin C, Omega 3s, as well as other pharmaceuticals..."

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
*SNIP The recipe below is probably overly strong but I like that. My missus had one piece of brownie I made on the weekend at about 7pm and greened out. She sat there spinning out with a bucket next to her till 1am. Not for beginners.
Next time the missus catches a greeny, tell her to take 15-30mg (straight) CBD. It brings you down nicely :)

Nice thing about the recipe, you can use less cannabis :)

insomniac_AU

Next time the missus catches a greeny, tell her to take 15-30mg (straight) CBD. It brings you down nicely :)

Nice thing about the recipe, you can use less cannabis :)
I'll keep that in mind. :tiphat:

Yeah you could use a lot less, probably 7 grams would be sufficient. You have to be careful with dosing.

Mengsk

www dudegrows com make-potent-cannabis-oil-aka-canna-butter

I've tried this recipe and it works great too. 7 grams makes enough to last what seems to be at least a month. The edibles are really strong, this way I think is by far the most bang for your buck, economical, although it's not 100% the same as vaping etc. It can easily be too strong which will pretty much put you to sleep. I'm thinking about trying a different recipe (different heat, no lecithin ..) just because the yield/strength seems more than fine.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recently made my first batch of cannabutter.

I did not like the look or smell of the cannabutter after one washing. I boiled it with clean water 3 more times to remove extra contaminants. The water until the third boil came out gray and nasty looking. The last boil the water was very clean at the end.

It still tastes like crap. But it is very clean and doesn't smell hardly at all. And it works really, really well.

insomniac_AU

Importance of lecithin

Importance of lecithin

I did a test last night with a friend who's an experienced smoker. I wanted to see how quick the onset was. He was wasn't stoned when he arrived so I got him to have one of my edibles before he smoked. He told me he could feel the effects in 5 minutes. He also only smoked one joint for about the next 4 hours.

Felicity1

Does it really work? I often found recipes on the Internet for cooking cannabis, and even I tried to cook it myself, but I failed

Martinzo

Does it really work? I often found recipes on the Internet for cooking cannabis, and even I tried to cook it myself, but I failed. Every time I cooked, it turned out to be shit. Then I decided to buy cannabis. I needed to take the best possible painkiller strain, as I have health problems. My doctor initially prescribed painkillers, but they gave a temporary effect. Then my friend said that in my case, only cannabis would help me. He explained to me what properties it has and told me how to take it.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i use a pretty similar recipe but i don't de-carb, and i slow cook for 6-7-8hrs - as i don't see any increase in potency over 8hrs - also i usually do 4cleanups with fresh water-

RicFlair

I’ve always wanted to make some canna butter as it seems simple enough. But once it’s done I don’t know what I’ll do with it. What does everyone make with their butter? All I can ever think of is Rice Krispy treats 😂. That reminds me, I also wondered about problems when re-baking the canna butter ie in the form of cookies etc. Wouldn’t that degrade the thc?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I’ve always wanted to make some canna butter as it seems simple enough. But once it’s done I don’t know what I’ll do with it. What does everyone make with their butter? All I can ever think of is Rice Krispy treats 😂. That reminds me, I also wondered about problems when re-baking the canna butter ie in the form of cookies etc. Wouldn’t that degrade the thc?

we make brownies.... we mix the butter with the brownie mix well, then into a 325f oven for 15/20mins- the temp does not degrade the butter/thc- we found u want to use something that does not have nuts/chips/rice krispy's /etc in it - after baking, we measure our the pieces... depending on the batch, it could be 5 or 6 or 10grams of brownie - if u use rice krispy's/or choc chips u will not get a constant amount- one 5gram choc chip cookie mite have more chips in it then the next 5gm cookie- i would guess its the same for treats...