What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

jade vine (Strongylodon Macrobotrys)

cutant

Hi Persephone,

I am not sure whether you are still willing to send a few cuttings of the jade vine next year? Yep that's right I am still looking. Would appreciate if you let me know.

tnx

dill786

Hi Dill786,
Most probably the climate was too hot then. So the cuttings did not have enough time to take root and start taking up moisture. My advice is that if you ever have the opportunity to have cuttings again think early spring or early autumn. Check my previous post above. You planted the cuttings in mid-June then you a heatwave with temperatures in he 30's. That is what killed off any chance of the cuttings to take root. March/April or Mid Sept/Mid October are the best seasons. Obviously the type of cuttings would be different according to the season. Using seeds is even trickier as you pointed out. That is why I am looking for cuttings.

i doubt it was the heatwave as i live in uk..

shame though woulnt mind trying again, but plant and seeds are hard to source in uk....

supzero

Have been looking for this plant for years as well. Are you really sure it's possible to root them without any leaves at all?? Seems very counterintuitive because the cutting has no way to get any additional energy apart from the energy stored in the cells of the cutting to grow roots and new leaves. The last time I got a cutting to root I left a leaf on it and kept it in a baggy and under CFL light. Temperature was probably around 25°C throughout. Haven't been able to do it again since this first lucky strike though.

Neither seeds nor cuttings anywhere to be found on the net, it's a pain.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Strange how Amazon is selling them. No so rave reviews from customers. Would refrain from that supplier.

supzero

Hey aridbud

It's pretty safe to say that all seeds you can find on amazon or aliexpress (and the like) or on ebay by any chinese merchant are fake. They either send you whatever garbage they have lying around or they send you some Mucuna bennettii (or other Mucuna species) seeds because they look similar as seedlings but the flowers are red. Mucuna seeds are not rare either and they are pretty easy to store, so a fitting "substitute"

Furthermore, real jade vine seeds are so rare and store so badly that it's absolutely impossible that they have a large enough stock to sell them a) all year round and b) for a couple of dollars.

Personally, I have encountered real seeds only a couple of times on ebay(!) but with pictures of the seed pod and the actual seeds for sale so it was clear that they were the real deal. But then they also went for 30+ dollars per seed and I was sniped to boot lol

dill786

you gotta germinate the seeds straight away though,,, mine didnt germinate coz they were in transit for too long.....

dill786

Have been looking for this plant for years as well. Are you really sure it's possible to root them without any leaves at all?? Seems very counterintuitive because the cutting has no way to get any additional energy apart from the energy stored in the cells of the cutting to grow roots and new leaves. The last time I got a cutting to root I left a leaf on it and kept it in a baggy and under CFL light. Temperature was probably around 25°C throughout. Haven't been able to do it again since this first lucky strike though.

Neither seeds nor cuttings anywhere to be found on the net, it's a pain.

the person who sent me the jade vine rooted his cuttings without the leaves and he said he had good success...

supzero

you gotta germinate the seeds straight away though,,, mine didnt germinate coz they were in transit for too long.....

No problem, I'll just pay for express delivery or whatever :biggrin:

the person who sent me the jade vine rooted his cuttings without the leaves and he said he had good success...

Hey, it's possible, I just find it unusual since a common procedure for these kinds of cuttings is to only cut the leaves in half or so to reduced transpiration but you don't remove them completely. Speaking very broadly of course, maybe jade vine is that different and it roots better if all leaves are removed beforehand, I have no experience in that regard though.

Of course there are other methods where you bury hardwood cuttings completely and hence remove all leaves because there's no light underground.

Unfortunately persephone deleted all their posts/pics so I can't follow that part of the discussion anymore.

supzero

Just checked davesgarden and there are 2 nurseries in the US selling potted plants. Other than that there are only 6 - 9 years old entries on the trade list. I'm not sure these are still relevant...

Baneicorn

Heya, I know I'm necroing a thread like crazy, but I stumbled across this post and found a ton of great information, so I wanted to try to give back.

I have three small jade vine plants that I'm currently growing. They're still quite young, but VERY healthy, especially now that they're in a humidity and temperature-controlled greenhouse I built on my porch. I can't do cuttings quite yet, and I won't get seeds anytime soon, but as soon as it's big enough I'll be sure to post here to let anyone interested in getting their hands on one know.

dill786

Heya, I know I'm necroing a thread like crazy, but I stumbled across this post and found a ton of great information, so I wanted to try to give back.

I have three small jade vine plants that I'm currently growing. They're still quite young, but VERY healthy, especially now that they're in a humidity and temperature-controlled greenhouse I built on my porch. I can't do cuttings quite yet, and I won't get seeds anytime soon, but as soon as it's big enough I'll be sure to post here to let anyone interested in getting their hands on one know.

3 years later.. lol

you only have one post,, but did you get them to grow or anyone else??