What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does it sound like Ingham knows anything about cannabis?

wetdog

She always has been. I watched most of the vid till the getting into the sales pitch at the end. Nothing about container mixes, it was all "dirt into soil" and containers were just mentioned in passing.

From hearing her talk it's like she's going for a newish market, but it's not quite what she's familiar with. Very similar, but not quite the same as Ag crops, just like container mixes are similar but different than native soils and what works well in one might not work so well in the other.

Still, the whole soil food web thing is solid, just need to adapt it to your particular medium. It's not a one to one translation.

Wet

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
She always has been. I watched most of the vid till the getting into the sales pitch at the end. Nothing about container mixes, it was all "dirt into soil" and containers were just mentioned in passing.

From hearing her talk it's like she's going for a newish market, but it's not quite what she's familiar with. Very similar, but not quite the same as Ag crops, just like container mixes are similar but different than native soils and what works well in one might not work so well in the other.

Still, the whole soil food web thing is solid, just need to adapt it to your particular medium. It's not a one to one translation.

Wet

She seemed to concentrate on regional issues of growing, considering the weather, etc. and overlooking that most commercial cultivation of cannabis is in climate controlled environments; greenhouses, warehouses.

When asked a question from Colorado, it was the climate/soil conditions in Colorado which was addressed which I think only makes sense for typical (outdoor) horticulture.

Overlooking that building soil mixes is primary, dismisses the potential value of paying thousands of dollars for a 12 week study/course.

I was concerned about some of the statements, coming across as fact rather than hypothesis;
* CBD and THC content can be increased by microbial ratios (e.g. fungal:bacterial)
* Once you get your biology correctly established you never need to worry about your 'crop/growing/soil' {paraphrased} again. [I can agree with this to a degree in a large volume soil, inclusive of sufficient minerals, etc. but for most cannabis set ups this just is not sensible]
* Weeds are controlled by microbial manipulation

There were more but that is what comes to mind

The brief mention of case studies (as presented) seem meaningless without concrete data.

As you well know I do ascribe to the 'soil food web' philosophy of living soil growing but I describe it more as the 'nutrient loop' as described by the originators (scientists) of the hypothesis and some related theories (Vigdis Torsvik et al). I am a believer in using all resources available to the grower so I incorporate the microbial and mineral amendment philosophies.

I also see some value in microbial life which are not obligate aerobes, such as phototrophic organisms. The only one mentioned was cyanobacteria, however there are many others, which have horticultural value and are not sunlight obligates.

I think this endeavor could have great value to students and presenters (assuming open mindedness) but perhaps over a period of 6 to 12 months to properly analyze observations and results.

h.h.

Veteran
I prefer hearing about Ingham to hearing Ingham.
I think she likes to jump to conclusions that are not quite there.

KIS

She seemed to concentrate on regional issues of growing, considering the weather, etc. and overlooking that most commercial cultivation of cannabis is in climate controlled environments; greenhouses, warehouses.

When asked a question from Colorado, it was the climate/soil conditions in Colorado which was addressed which I think only makes sense for typical (outdoor) horticulture.

Overlooking that building soil mixes is primary, dismisses the potential value of paying thousands of dollars for a 12 week study/course.

I was concerned about some of the statements, coming across as fact rather than hypothesis;
* CBD and THC content can be increased by microbial ratios (e.g. fungal:bacterial)
* Once you get your biology correctly established you never need to worry about your 'crop/growing/soil' {paraphrased} again. [I can agree with this to a degree in a large volume soil, inclusive of sufficient minerals, etc. but for most cannabis set ups this just is not sensible]
* Weeds are controlled by microbial manipulation

There were more but that is what comes to mind

The brief mention of case studies (as presented) seem meaningless without concrete data.

As you well know I do ascribe to the 'soil food web' philosophy of living soil growing but I describe it more as the 'nutrient loop' as described by the originators (scientists) of the hypothesis and some related theories (Vigdis Torsvik et al). I am a believer in using all resources available to the grower so I incorporate the microbial and mineral amendment philosophies.

I also see some value in microbial life which are not obligate aerobes, such as phototrophic organisms. The only one mentioned was cyanobacteria, however there are many others, which have horticultural value and are not sunlight obligates.

I think this endeavor could have great value to students and presenters (assuming open mindedness) but perhaps over a period of 6 to 12 months to properly analyze observations and results.

I think you hit on the big claims that are not currently supported by any actual research or data.

"I was concerned about some of the statements, coming across as fact rather than hypothesis;
* Weeds are controlled by microbial manipulation"

Is the idea that weed seeds wouldn't germinate because the soil is microbially balanced for only your crop (cannabis in this case)? That sort of claim is just nuts. My initial thought was that maybe she was overplanting so there would be no bare ground for weed seeds, but cannabis requires good air flow and spacing to avoid botrytis and other mold issues. Show me a farm using soil with no weeds and I'll show you someone using glyphosate. There's just no other way this is possible. Well, unless you're in the middle of no where and there's no seed exposure except from your crop, but I don't think that exists in Nature.

mexweed

Veteran
I mean you don't gets phds without concrete data, she didn't get to where she is at with a thesis on growing weed, that said what I have heard from her seems extremely basic like she is preaching to a somewhat lay audience

in colorado there are plenty of middle of nowhere spots where cannabis is the only crop

positivity

Veteran
I got a little turned off by her having a hard time saying the word compost without paying tuition first.
Sounds like the now obvious ecologically correct way to grow and sell to Whole Foods conscious customers though.
I’d buy a book on compost, bacteria, fungi and weed control. I could see it possible I suppose..my garden beds have a touch less weeds than my lawn. :)
Speaking of which, chore time