What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bad shop or bad seeds ? Same maybe?

jrelax

Hi

Seeds, do they have best before ?

I also read some breeders say we got 6-8 pc
20 old year seeds them all grow up and we made this and that.

Is this true?

Me self have try One specific breeder and strain many times now.

Shop 1
only one of 5 germinate

Shop 2 the same

Shop 3
3 of five pop out.

3 DIFFERENT SHOPS yes.
always same breeder and strain

always UGRO COCO plugs

I did second and third runs.
The result is same.

Two shops sends bad seeds ?
New shop sends good stuff always.

Old stores vs new
what is happening?

New store is good. Seeds always work .

The best old ones send poor seeds .

There is big difference.

The old seedshops really send bad stuff always.
The new is always nice seeds, same brands

Germ ratio
old shops 3 of 10
New 9 of 10

What does the old shops doing wrong ?
Is there best before?

They dont handle the seedbags good ?

djimb

Veteran
There are a lot of reasons seeds don't germinate. Age can be a big factor, but even more important is storage method. I've seen plenty of people successfully germ 10+ year old seeds at a good ratio, but only if they've been kept cold, dry, and in the dark.

Some seed vendors don't seem to have the best storage practices, and have no problem selling old seed. In this case, it's not the breeder's fault. This is why it's important to order your seed from a reputable vendor, if not the breeder directly.

Alternatively, some fly by night "breeders" try to sell seed that's barely mature, at best. Poor germination in this case would be consistent regardless of the vendor, and the seed would most likely be white/green.

From the sound of it, you had vendor trouble, but found a good one in the end.

That being said, it's entirely possible that if you ordered seed from a popular breeder that gets restocked more often, the first two vendors would be fine, as the seed would be more likely to be fresh

jrelax

djimb nice info, thanx

I also wonder:

If you was a seed store owner in Scandinavia. We got 4seasons
Spring about 10celsius +
Summer about 25celcius +
Autumn same as spring
Winter cold about 10-20celcius MINUS ( coold)

Buy in lots of seeds the best time is Autumn and Spring maybe? To Scandinavian seedshops?
I think if they are in trucks, boats, planes , the tempratures can be important thinking of if you only want sell tip top seeds ?

You maybe dont should by seeds when its Minus20 celcius out, and they are in cold truckload maybe 10-20h transportation .
Maybe hot days should also be avoid? Maybe dont Buy in lots then.

If starting new seed shop example,
then make the big fresh instock buy here in time of spring or autumn right?

GoatCheese

Veteran
I don't think cannabis seeds are that sensitive that time of year for ordering seeds should be a worry. But store them in fridge/cold once you got them to keep them alive the longest. Fresh seeds will survive even in room temperature for quite some time, but cold storage is much better way.
The seeds in some seed shops could be fairly old 5+ years and if they were not stored in cold the germination % could start dropping quite abit.

Also..
- Stress during flowering of the seed plant, when seeds are maturing, affects seed germination %.

- The seeds' maturing time on the mother-plant apparently also affects shelf life of the seeds = if you harvest them soon as they look mature (5 weeks for many indoor plants) your seeds might not have as long of a shelf life as if you'd keep them on the mother plant for 7 weeks or longer.
--
---
Thou harvest time for seeds is the "western" autumn, responsible seed banks dry/cure their seeds for some months and also test germinate/grow their seeds before shipping these to people, so it may take several months till seeds harvested this autumn will make it to the seed shops.

jrelax

GoatCheese thanx alot for this info.

What is the ideal temprature storage these medical seeds ?

VP1R-Openx1000.jpg

GoatCheese

Veteran
Fresh seeds that were grown well will stay in fairly good shape for 10+ years in your fridge at home, and maybe keeping them in air tight container/ little jar.

W

Water-

if in the fridge or freezer than make sure they are not exposed to moisture,

like GoatCheese said, keep them air tight in a dry container and they will last a long time

Latest posts

Latest posts