What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Artisanal weed vs Big Weed

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
If big weed start to tell me i cant run certain things then i say fuck them. Untill then its cream rises to the top still. :tiphat:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Buzz-kill Alert

Buzz-kill Alert

"The staggering number of marijuana strains being developed is creating a connoisseur culture that favors small-scale, artisanal farms that can nimbly adapt to shifts in market demand."

The author drank the koolaid, most of these strains have the same 'Kind' high, I expect more from my artisanal weed of the future.

Sad to say but I believe Big Weed will be delivering the high I'm looking for through GMO techniques long before Ma and Pa farms are able to recover the combination of genes through standard breeding practices. :tiphat:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
"The staggering number of marijuana strains being developed is creating a connoisseur culture that favors small-scale, artisanal farms that can nimbly adapt to shifts in market demand."

The author drank the koolaid, most of these strains have the same 'Kind' high, I expect more from my artisanal weed of the future.

Sad to say but I believe Big Weed will be delivering the high I'm looking for through GMO techniques long before Ma and Pa farms are able to recover the combination of genes through standard breeding practices. :tiphat:

youcan smoke the gmo weed of the future if you want, but i won't be.
we have so many awesome genetics available, why would we need GMO weed?

i think they will be adding terps to weed before they start selling gmo weed.

Smokey Pockets

Yeah they are doing this already with some cbd buds . I bought some from a headshop a couple months ago and it had terps among other things added. It was terrible, I felt sick after smoking it . Headache and general not feeling great .
And I agree 100% , most of us who grow, will not be smoking GMO weed.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Yeah they are doing this already with some cbd buds . I bought some from a headshop a couple months ago and it had terps among other things added. It was terrible, I felt sick after smoking it . Headache and general not feeling great .
And I agree 100% , most of us who grow, will not be smoking GMO weed.

Apparently there's a lot more to achieving the quality of the high available 1960-1999 than terps, does anyone even know what causes a high to be long-lasting?

Howz about euphoria, real euphoria, not just 'up'.

Psychedelic qualities, spiritual?

I'd do GMO weed if it had these qualities 'cause they sure aren't available from anything I've smoked (seed grown, street, dispensary) in the past 18 yrs.:comfort:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

GMO weed....blecht!! Good to preserve the strains, whereby hybrids can be made, a flavor change.

Maple_Flail

Apparently there's a lot more to achieving the quality of the high available 1960-1999 than terps, does anyone even know what causes a high to be long-lasting?

Howz about euphoria, real euphoria, not just 'up'.

Psychedelic qualities, spiritual?

I'd do GMO weed if it had these qualities 'cause they sure aren't available from anything I've smoked (seed grown, street, dispensary) in the past 18 yrs.:comfort:

all that still exists.. it's just not the trend now, the masses want the kushy stone (atleast around here) so ya it gets quite samey. OG broke around here 19-20 years ago so ya people been chasing that one here for awhile.

all ranges of effect are available, the good stuff from back then has been worked into breeding pools It may go by a different name and have a different look now but the effects can be found. Maybe you are just not running the numbers needed to find these examples.
its well know that in that era plant counts were massive (or atleast the beginning of that era)

as with everything, there are pros and cons, I'm going likely always prefer the old school breeding form of genetic modifications opposed to the gene tweak GMO. there is more to the finished product than its DNA... if it is grown poorly it's going to be a poor product regardless of the DNA.

there will always be Human error, but my bet goes to the guy that know his strains barely has to touch them and they turn out perfect because he is controlling the environment and letting the plants do their thing. Won't find that in big weed my friend.

CaptainDankness

Maybe, but at the same time you have Sam the Skunkman claiming CRISPR is not GMO and many here have agreed.

Now sure I agree it's not as bad as making Round Up ready GMO weed, but it's going to be genetically modified. I imagine with CRISPR it won't make cannabis more dangerous or anything, as what I got from Sam was it's just cannabis genes they're working with.

Can they take over? Yeah, possibly if it tastes amazing and dank I'm going to like it. They may also make strains high in certain cannabinoids which might be a lot better for medicine.

Of course I'm sure heirloom varieties will always be available and have a small market share, but overall Americans are happy with Budweiser and I do like it more than a lot of expensive beers. Honestly I hate most of the micro brewery beers.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
After mass marketing campaigns, Bud Light has convinced consumers that no flavor low potency beer is the top of the heap.

I can't wait to see the cattle consumers get herded towards flavorless weak weed.

Don't worry America... it's cheap.

CaptainDankness

After mass marketing campaigns, Bud Light has convinced consumers that no flavor low potency beer is the top of the heap.

I can't wait to see the cattle consumers get herded towards flavorless weak weed.

Don't worry America... it's cheap.

Them flavorful beers taste like shit to me. Corona is about my favorite but Heineken, Red Stripe, etc. are pretty good too. Bud light sucks Budweiser ain't too bad from a bottle the cans taste like shit. Personally I prefer a good bourbon have yet to try a good Scotch I almost think it's a myth. Lol

But yeah 15% THC with a nice flavor is still pretty good weed. I do like better weed but it's not necessary, for the price (if I'm not growing it myself) yeah, I'll save my money and just buy the pretty good weed.

Of course with legalization I'll be growing Neville's Haze in the New England sun. :biggrin:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
50% of the population have only average taste buds. 25% have less than average and 25% have more than average. This means 75% of the population has up to an average ability to differentiate and detect flavors.

This is why poor flavored products dominate the markets. ;)

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Lol the agripharma corps wont use GMO techniques to improve medicinal content or high of weed they will use it to control them below a certain level to try and kill off what we know weed to be.

Also for yield.. this is the only thing GM has been used for in other crops and the agripharma corps dont actually like marijuana being a good none specific anti inflammatory/antispasmodic/anti depressant/pain modulator/stomachic etc so those terps, sesquiterps and cannabinoids are gonna go if they can get away with it.

This has always been fucking coming lol we were talking about this eventual result, of watered down weed, coming out of "legalisation", or capitalisation of MJ decades ago..

I think what you just saw is/was the gold rush, everyone under the sun buying pickaxes and pans to try and get rich, and now the crown corporation pirates knows where all that gold is its taking over the mines, they take resources and sell them back to you for a living. And it has everyone getting licenses and permits and paying them for the right for you to grow lmao..

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Why would it be any different from chocolate ?

(Besides one being a flower that grows on large bushes, and the other is from a bean, but anyway)

You can go to Costco and buy 100 pounds of Nestle Crunch.

Or you can go to a Fudge Store in some high end touristy district, and buy premium fudge, maybe even THC fudge, and pay a lot more.

I think the hops market is a market, it's logical for the Cannabis market to resemble it.

My guess is there's Big Hops and there's local hops.

As long as there's no Monsanto-Bayer hops !

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

I think the hops market is a market, it's logical for the Cannabis market to resemble it.

The hops market is huge. My son grows his own, makes his own beer and it's all personal. His friends are also in it.

Some people collect seeds along rail lines where it grows from spill overs.

Hops is pretty big. Weed will be even bigger. Lol

DTOM420

Why would it be any different from chocolate ?

(Besides one being a flower that grows on large bushes, and the other is from a bean, but anyway)

You can go to Costco and buy 100 pounds of Nestle Crunch.

Or you can go to a Fudge Store in some high end touristy district, and buy premium fudge, maybe even THC fudge, and pay a lot more.

I agree 100%

Different strokes for different folks. Let’s face it, different people like different things. There are some people who like Keystone light, some who like Guinness and some who like real German beer (me) and I’m not talking about Heineken. Only beer snobs care about what others are drinking. But canna forums are populated by cannabis snobs. Your average ‘toker’ isn’t going to grow (ever!) and really doesn’t care much about flavor - they just want a quick buzz and they want it as cheaply as possible. There just isn’t a lot of thought that goes into it for them. THEY will be the market that the big producers chase because they will comprise the biggest market segment, by far. The big producers won’t give a hoot about any of us on here - why should they? We’re picky and fickle and hard to please. We’re willing to ‘buck the system’ and grow our own. Courting us would be like a dog chasing its tail and most of US don’t WANT them courting us anyway.

I don’t understand all the animus towards the ‘big dogs.’ The beer companies and marketing didn’t “convince” us of anything - they identify a market trend/general preference and they serve it. That doesn’t mean they serve all consumers. They serve the biggest segments. Most beer drinkers can’t stand artisan beers. Never have, never will. Doesn’t make them wrong OR the big beer companies wrong for identifying and serving them. Their job is making money (beer is simply the means theybuse), not educating folks about beer or changing their palates.

Inevitably we’ll have “Big Canna” (assuming total legalization in the US) and they will serve the broader need. There will always be an artisan market that will provide SOME revenue for smaller growing operations that are very good and are lucky enough to pick strains that are fairly popular or are skilled enough to continually develop strains that appeal to that “snob” market segment. Then, there’ll be a market for the hobby grower. I look at the tomato as a better analogous product. We have big ag tomatoes for most people, organically local-grown for those who’re more selective and able to afford them and then we have the home gardener. IMO, this will be the way of cannabis.....exactly. None are “wrong.” They just serve different market segments with different needs and requirements. No need to be judgemental about what others choose.

JMO

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The "artisanal" market will be the black market. The money holders will never stop. Ever. It's too much money at stake.
The ground we stand on today is temporary. It reflects the time required for the powerful to shift the focus of the war on cannabis growers. The war is coming back.