What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problems with germination peat pellets

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Soak seeds for 18 hours. Soak peat pellets for 2 hours in DEEP water Do not wring out. Just take the soaked peat pellets, place them in a saucer, put on a horticultural heating mat for seedlings. Take soaked seeds and wet a paper towel folded. Place seeds inside the wet paper towel, cover with the paper towel folded over on itself. Make sure that the top of the paper towel sandwich is down on the seeds. This should be done in an appropriate plate. Cover with a sister plate. Place on the heating mat and check the moisture of the paper towel every 12 hours. Once you have roots about 1/2 inch or longer, gently place the seedling in to the hole in the Jiffy wafer. Make sure the top of the seed is not buried but sticking out of the wafer. It works very well.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
So I have just realized that the RR are peat based ...

I could try coco but I have always burned them :( holding out for now watching the 4 I have . I will definitely plant as soon as the root comes out next time. I find at that stage the baby plant is very fragile and tended to wait a bit before touching it

Don't shy away from peat based products, with the possible exception of pellets - I have no experience with them but it seems others are saying to avoid, so I would trust, especially arid.

I have experience with Rapid Rooters only for cuttings, never for seeds. I have nothing but great things to say about them for cuts.

Notice the nice tutorial with pics that TM shared? Those are peat pots. They rock! So don't avoid all peat based products. If you follow the hyperlink I shared to my thread, you'll see how I use peat pots and how I go about starting seeds in soil through the seedling stage.

From what's been shared here you should be able to build a framework for success that works for you! :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I forgot to mention that you can put the Peat Pot directly in the ground or a larger pot at transplant time.

These plants were in 2.5 inch peat pots and went directly in the ground.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Absolutely love that 2nd pic! :yes:

That's also what I love about peat pots, directly into a larger container (or ground) without issue.
Thanks.

Makes transporting them to the field super easy. I stack 40 in a tray 2 deep and haul them out.

I use this to dig the holes, top dress, drop it in the hole, next girl.
picture.php

For me, Peat Pots are a necessity. :monkeyeat

Latest posts

Latest posts