What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes for edibles

I think essential oils for vaping is a bad idea and would only try it if I had personally distilled the oil myself; however, even then I just don't think it'd be great for the lungs.

As for edibles, as long as it is the right quality for internal ingestion I don't see why not. There is reason to be careful with clove and other oils containing eugenol, but if you're using lower doses it shouldn't be an issue. If you have compromised liver function though you should probably tread lightly if at all.

Those seem like a good mix of sleep inducing herbs, but look into adding hops to really make the valerian POP! There has been a fair amount of medical research on the hops/valerian combo. Valerian/hops in the right doses is EXTREMELY sedating.

irishf0x

McMenamins has a few beers with Cannabis terpenes added in.

Coalition did/does a CBD beer, Level Beer does a few CBD beers now and then but they don't advertise it heavily.

Easy7

Veteran
Just sounds too synthetic to add terps. Terps are an indication of a few things. Seems deceptive to add terps. Some terps ate already so bold. Honestly I enjoy some mellow terps if the effects of the cannabinoids are powerful.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am going to try this again tomorrow. I bought a new set of rosin plates and I want to try them out so I have to eat a bunch of rosin so I can run out. :)

I am looking at the terpene profiles on the site WFF posted and I have a question.....

When they show the amount of terp (let's say Myrcene) in terms of mg/g, do they mean mg of terp per gram of pot (flowers) that they tested?

Because the results for concentrate and the results for flowers show about the same. In a flower profile there is 21mg of Myrcene per gram of flower. Then in another profile (this time for concentrate) they show Myrcene as 23mg per gram of rosin.

The other terps are in similar quantities. As are the cannabinoids.

I can't believe there's the same amount (in mg) of THC in a gram of flowers as there is in a gram of rosin.

I'm not understanding something, I'm sure.

Anyway, tomorrow's recipe will have 500ul of terps added to a gram of rosin. This will be my highest terp concentration so far.

Since I;m using a 1:1 THC CBD strain to press, I am going with a profile of a 1:1. I noticed the higher THC lower CBD profiles have more Limonene and less myrcene while the Higher CBD profiles have more Myrcene and less Limonene.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I think essential oils for vaping is a bad idea and would only try it if I had personally distilled the oil myself; however, even then I just don't think it'd be great for the lungs.

As for edibles, as long as it is the right quality for internal ingestion I don't see why not. There is reason to be careful with clove and other oils containing eugenol, but if you're using lower doses it shouldn't be an issue. If you have compromised liver function though you should probably tread lightly if at all.

Those seem like a good mix of sleep inducing herbs, but look into adding hops to really make the valerian POP! There has been a fair amount of medical research on the hops/valerian combo. Valerian/hops in the right doses is EXTREMELY sedating.

Good stuff. I really only want to vape isolates of known purity, but I might explore some edibles that are more sedating. What is the best way to get pure hops? Something like this?

glacierhopsranch.com/hopzoil/

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Just sounds too synthetic to add terps. Terps are an indication of a few things. Seems deceptive to add terps. Some terps ate already so bold. Honestly I enjoy some mellow terps if the effects of the cannabinoids are powerful.

Why is it deceptive? Have you ever vapped or dabbed only cannabinoids (ie distillate)? If you have, then you would know that the effect is significantly lacking. You have to apply heat to decarb for edibles, and this process strips most of the terpenes. So, just like distillate, if you want your edibles to have effect profile (other than making you drool or pass out from massive THC dose), then you need to add back terpenes.

As to being synthetic, this is just semantic word games. A chemical compound is the exact same anywhere in nature. This includes inside the trichomes as well as lab glassware. These compounds can be extracted naturally from plants (and further isolated) or sometimes made from precursor terpenes in lab, and thus be classified as synthetic, but the compound is the exact same either way.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I am going to try this again tomorrow. I bought a new set of rosin plates and I want to try them out so I have to eat a bunch of rosin so I can run out. :)

I am looking at the terpene profiles on the site WFF posted and I have a question.....

When they show the amount of terp (let's say Myrcene) in terms of mg/g, do they mean mg of terp per gram of pot (flowers) that they tested?

Because the results for concentrate and the results for flowers show about the same. In a flower profile there is 21mg of Myrcene per gram of flower. Then in another profile (this time for concentrate) they show Myrcene as 23mg per gram of rosin.

The other terps are in similar quantities. As are the cannabinoids.

I can't believe there's the same amount (in mg) of THC in a gram of flowers as there is in a gram of rosin.

I'm not understanding something, I'm sure.

Anyway, tomorrow's recipe will have 500ul of terps added to a gram of rosin. This will be my highest terp concentration so far.

Since I;m using a 1:1 THC CBD strain to press, I am going with a profile of a 1:1. I noticed the higher THC lower CBD profiles have more Limonene and less myrcene while the Higher CBD profiles have more Myrcene and less Limonene.

Bro, do you always smoke high cbd weed and rosin? Cbd is an antoganist to thc that reduces the ability to feel high. I am curious as to how terps interact with high ratios of cbd.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Actually, this latest crop is the first time I ever grew high CBD. I just wanted to see what all the craze was about. Now, I have a bunch of it I need to get rid of. LOL

I'll be pressing several different strains today. Cindy99 (Sativa) LemonOG Kush (Indica) and the Med Tree Continuum.

Since I smoke mostly for taste, I like the LemonOG or Cindy for smoking. I also have some wonderful Landrace Afghan for night time. :) This CBD stuff tastes like shit.

I am going to try 500mg of terps in this 1 gram of rosin and then I am going to try 1ml of terps in 1 gram of rosin.

If I ain't gettin' high by then, I'm going to the bar and drink shots like the good old days. LOL

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Actually, this latest crop is the first time I ever grew high CBD. I just wanted to see what all the craze was about. Now, I have a bunch of it I need to get rid of. LOL

I'll be pressing several different strains today. Cindy99 (Sativa) LemonOG Kush (Indica) and the Med Tree Continuum.

Since I smoke mostly for taste, I like the LemonOG or Cindy for smoking. I also have some wonderful Landrace Afghan for night time. :) This CBD stuff tastes like shit.

I am going to try 500mg of terps in this 1 gram of rosin and then I am going to try 1ml of terps in 1 gram of rosin.

If I ain't gettin' high by then, I'm going to the bar and drink shots like the good old days. LOL

Just be careful. That is a shit load. Another experiment would be try a drop or two directly under your tongue, and see if it absorbs differently.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
You really think 500mg is a lot? I think I did 300mg on the last batch for a little over a gram.

What will happen if I OD on terps? LOL Hospital? Just discomfort? Death?

I still don't understand those profiles on that site. How can rosin have the same mg/g of stuff as flowers? Shit don't make no sense. LOL

I like to make candies with shatter, and I ordered 8-9 different Lorann essential oil flavorings. I love to mix and match the flavors, and I did not realize that I was using the Lemon in every one. I made a batch (Raspberry & Pear I think), but it seemed to not have the intensity. I figured it was missing Limonene.

We make hard candies as well. We started with loranne and switched to Watkins or McCormick brands. They are both available locally. Watkins makes the best rootbeer flavor, and McCormick's lemon is bomb. When c99 bho I'd used with lemon, the candies come out tasting like fruit loops. We make the candies in 1/4" × 1/4" squares in a silicon mold. Candies work out to roughly 10mg of concentrate per candy. Loranne was not as good tasting as the other brands for some reason and it took way more loranne flavor to get to taste good. Just our experience.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran

Here is an apple to apple example:

Banana Pudding (Flower)
https://client.sclabs.com/sample/295690/

Banana Pudding (Rosin)
https://client.sclabs.com/sample/296762/

The flower has 1.21% terpenes or 12.1mg/gram. The rosin has 6.87% terpenes or 68.7mg/gram. Flowers should vary between 1-3%, with closer to 1% being longer cured with some amber trichomes (ie properly grown). Rosin will vary as well, but if looking for recipes, flowers are probably the best source to replicate the total package.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
We make hard candies as well. We started with loranne and switched to Watkins or McCormick brands. They are both available locally. Watkins makes the best rootbeer flavor, and McCormick's lemon is bomb. When c99 bho I'd used with lemon, the candies come out tasting like fruit loops. We make the candies in 1/4" × 1/4" squares in a silicon mold. Candies work out to roughly 10mg of concentrate per candy. Loranne was not as good tasting as the other brands for some reason and it took way more loranne flavor to get to taste good. Just our experience.

Nice feedback! I will have to check out those brands. I do like to add 2-4 different ones to make some custom flavors, like lemon, raspberry, apple & pear.

So far the rootbeer flavor is the most true to flavor thing we have tried. With concentrates added it tastes like an a&w rootbeer candy with some spiciness from the concentrate as an after taste. Fucking delicious!

Edit: both kiwi strawberry and cherry loranne were the least liked out of all the ones we tried.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Here is an apple to apple example:

Banana Pudding (Flower)
https://client.sclabs.com/sample/295690/

Banana Pudding (Rosin)
https://client.sclabs.com/sample/296762/

The flower has 1.21% terpenes or 12.1mg/gram. The rosin has 6.87% terpenes or 68.7mg/gram. Flowers should vary between 1-3%, with closer to 1% being longer cured with some amber trichomes (ie properly grown). Rosin will vary as well, but if looking for recipes, flowers are probably the best source to replicate the total package.

Thanks bud. That makes more sense.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was a beautiful day today and I was out riging all day. Probably not great to test edibles dosage while on a motorcycle so I will try the rosin tomorrow.

OK, here is what I am going to try.

Since the rosin is 1:1 and I going to split the Myrcene and Limonene 50/50. The Limonene seems to be dominant in the high THC strains and the Myrcene is dom in the CBD strains. At least that's a trend I saw. I didn't review too many.

100ul Limonene
100ul Myrcene
50ul Beta Caryophyllene
25ul Alpha Pinene
25ul Linalool

300ul total

If that doesn't do it, I'll double that and if that doesn't do it, I am pouring my terps down the toilet and going to the bar. Only thing you need with beer is pretzels. LOL

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, bottoms up. Or, I guess down the hatch would be more appropriate.

If a bag of grapefruit jumps out of my ass from too much Limonene, I'll post a pic.

:)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Shit, I didn't even get a decent night's sleep. Woke up with neck pain 4 or 5 times. Bummer. You would think it would at least do something for my pain. I can understand the tolerance to getting high but.... damn.

I did find one constant with edibles. I get cottonmouth every time and wake up with a desert in my mouth.

So, in case I ever have the need for cotton mouth, I can always ingest a gram of rosin. LOL

Ringodoggie

Premium user
OK, it's 2 for 1 night at the Ringo bar.

I made a 2 gram batch with 4x the recipe above. So, tonight's poison is 2 grams of rosin and 1.2ml of terps.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]400ul Limonene
400ul Myrcene
200ul Beta Caryophyllene
100ul Alpha Pinene
100ul Linalool
[/FONT]

I better shit a fucking grapefruit tonight. I'm getting tired of this shit.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
OK, well, that does it for me. Anyone who has to eat 2 grams of damn near pure THC and drinks a fucking juice glass full of terps simply does not have CB receptors. Period. End of story. You guys have them. I don't.

I don't have an endocannabinoid system in my body and my heartbeat is where my liver should be. My Mom just informed me that she's not my birth Mother and they actually found me next to a crashed space ship with some green glowing rocks all around it. Probably kryptonite or some other anti-cannabis element. Probably the reason why Superman didn't get high.

Fuck this, I'm going out and get drunk. See you guys in a few days.