What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I got roots in 6 days.

slowandeasy

Veteran
So I just wanted to share my success with Cloning lately. I have been doing experiments on moisture levels and cloning times. Too wet takes longer, not wet enough...wilt quickly or wont root. Of course temps should be in mid 70's for faster results, and just a couple of CFLs a few feet away is perfect.

Anyhow, I use Canna Coco pre-soaked in 1/2 strength nutes. Cut your clones and soak in Roots Excell and RO water for 20 min. Clear 9 oz with holes in bottom and another 9 oz cup lightproofed as a cover for the clear cup. This way you can see the roots grow. Take your pre soaked coco and squeeze it till it is just damp...not soaked. Tamp that down in your cup good and make a hole for stem. Dip your clones into Rooting Gel lightly, I think too much can make clones wilt. Put clone in and tamp Coco so stem is tight. BTW, these clones are big and the stem should go as deep as you can get in cup. I do not trim leaves and they never wilt.

Now this is the part that I believe helps speed up the rooting process. I figured it out on accident. On average I would say I get roots in 10 days in Coco. Last round of clones I kept a clone wetter than the rest...it looked perfect 2 weeks later...but no roots. So I took the coco plug out of the cup to see how moist the coco was and to see if I could see any signs of roots. Put the Clone back in cup. 6 hours later...I had roots on the sides of the cup. I believe taking the plug out of the cup gives it a nice dose of Oxygen and when you put the plug back in, it is a little looser. Now if there are tiny roots started, they search for the water and air.

So, this round of clones on the morning of Day 6 I took one clone out of the cup to see if it would work again. Sure enough, later that evening roots on the side of that Clone only. Next round I will do it on Day 5 and see if it works even quicker. Hope this helps someone out, if you have any questions...just ask. I dont even bother with my Aero Cloner anymore, the clones in Coco look nicer and root faster.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
so you cut your clone, put it in a cup full of coco, slide the coco out of the cup one time, sandcastle style, put it back in, then you have roots the next morning?

Dr. D

Veteran
Dude you just need to keep it simple i root in Canna coco and have roots poking out the bottom in 6-7 days, dome comes off around the same time. If you wet the coco too much they will take longer. Its just down to the moisture level cocos so easy to root in. No need to use nutes or anything specially when they root that fast. Peace

slowandeasy

Veteran
so you cut your clone, put it in a cup full of coco, slide the coco out of the cup one time, sandcastle style, put it back in, then you have roots the next morning?

Yes, I take it out sandcastle style. A few hours later, the roots are showing...by morning they are at the bottom of cup. I think that by taking it out, it give it a breath of fresh air. Seems to work well, because they just explode so quickly after. I did it on Morning of Day 6, a few hours later roots are showing. Next time I will try some on Day 4 and 5, to see it it works even faster. The roots explode shortly after, extremely fast.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Dude you just need to keep it simple i root in Canna coco and have roots poking out the bottom in 6-7 days, dome comes off around the same time. If you wet the coco too much they will take longer. Its just down to the moisture level cocos so easy to root in. No need to use nutes or anything specially when they root that fast. Peace

I do not use a dome at all, and I do not spray my clones. I agree 100% that moisture level is the most important part of cloning in Coco, but everyones environment is different. I am just trying to help some people out if they are having trouble cloning in Coco. IMHO, getting the correct moisture level down takes practice and is the main factor in rooting speed. Giving them extra oxygen, will only help. You are right, you dont have to use nutes to pre soak...but I like to have food for them right away.

Sounds like your way works well also...just sharing my way. BTW, when do you like to give nutes and what do you feed your plants? Take care.

slowandeasy

Veteran
i also use coco with no dome roots in 5-10 days strain dependent.

Cool, Poopy! Do you use a rooting gel/powder? The ones that take 10 days, try to pop them out of your tray and put them back in day 5 or 6. I bet they have roots sooner than usual. Since I use clear cups, I can see exactly what happens to the roots anytime I want by removing the lightproof cup. I like it because I can see how moist the Coco is everywhere in the cup.

asher1er

Veteran
How I got roots in 6 days.

To the ones using no dome.. What's the RH in your environment? I've tried the no dome trick and my cuts always seem to wilt till the dome is placed on it...

It's happened taking cuts right from the mom straight into coco.. I've put the cuts in cups of water for a while then into the coco and same result..

I'll stick with the dome for the mean time :joint:

slowandeasy

Veteran
To the ones using no dome.. What's the RH in your environment? I've tried the no dome trick and my cuts always seem to wilt till the dome is placed on it...

It's happened taking cuts right from the mom straight into coco.. I've put the cuts in cups of water for a while then into the coco and same result..

I'll stick with the dome for the mean time :joint:

A few of mine wilted the first few times, now they dont. Mine humidity is about 50 percent give or take. I always pre-soak mine for 20 min. I also make the coco into a plug in the cup packed good, moist but not soaked. Too much gel makes them wilt also IMO.

Now I take huge cuts and they root fast and look perfect the whole way. I tamp the Coco down firmly against the stem, and moisten top and bottom lightly with water after a few days. If they do not wilt in the 1st day, they should take without a dome. Too low of temps they will wilt also. Mid 70s is perfect. Good luck.

flyer

interesting. i never clone in coco before after seeing your post i want to give it a try.
any possible chance you can provide some photo training?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Roots day 6 Again!!

Roots day 6 Again!!

interesting. i never clone in coco before after seeing your post i want to give it a try.
any possible chance you can provide some photo training?

Just for you I took some pics this time, again it took 6 days exactly! As you will see I use clear cups, with a cover cup. At day 3 or 4 I lightly bottom feed with RO water. Last night...8 hours ago I took this clone out of the cup to give it Air just for a second. While out I do a visual to see any roots...Nothing. Today, morning of Day 6 I see roots! So in 8 hours they went from no roots poking out the bottom! I am going to take daily pics so everyone can see the progress. With all the cloning threads around here, I think this Tech works pretty damn well! Here you go.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now for the fun part! I will take pics tomorrow, I bet there will be a ton of roots 24 hours from now. I will only bottom hydrate if needed, this promotes roots to grow to bottom of cup. If you water top down...the Coco gets too wet!

As you can see this is a rather large clone. No trimming of leaves, no discoloration, no misting, no domes. Hands down the best way to clone IMO! This clone will be ready for full strength nutes in a week and flipped shortly after. With Aero or Bubble cloners, it always takes longer for roots and the clones are smaller...thus taking more time.

dunkydunk

That'a a big ass clone. I'm ahead of the game these days so I have some time to experiment. I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

RipVanWeed

Thanks Slow,

I struggle with cloning... I'll be giving your style a whirl.

How much light do you give them?

Respect,

slowandeasy

Veteran
Thanks Slow,

I struggle with cloning... I'll be giving your style a whirl.

How much light do you give them?

Respect,

Just a 23 watt CFL a couple feet above. Temps around 80 and humidity 50ish in my clone cab. The biggest tip I can give is to not overwater. I water my cup of Coco with 300ppm of nutes, and squeeze most of the moisture out of it. Canna Coco holds alot of moisture, and just pack it down good in cup...make a hole for the clone insert and tamp down.

I truely believe that by taking the clone out of the cup briefly gives it a breath of fresh air. Everytime I do that around day 5...the next day I see roots. After that...they explode if you only bottom feed. Honestly it is not hard, but you will learn the right moisture level quickly with clear cups. good luck!!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Imma give this method a shot. Didn't have good results last time I tried going straight to coco.

Moisture level is the key IMO, I fill cup with Coco and tamp down, then water the coco and squeeze alot of the moisture out. Damp, not wet. Temps around 80 works best for me. Will post a few pics of roots today in a little while. Crazy how fast they grow once they start if you do not overwater!

flyer

thanks slow,
this sounds so easy to clone, fast and easy should i say. maybe you should change your name.. ;)

i got to give this a try!

slowandeasy

Veteran
thanks slow,
this sounds so easy to clone, fast and easy should i say. maybe you should change your name.. ;)

i got to give this a try!

No problem! Here is a pic from today...day 7. As you will see the roots are all over the side of the cup already, just one day later! Yesterday there was 2 roots on the bottom. By day 10 the cup will be really full of roots. Bottom feeding will help promote this. Here you go.

picture.php

Heeey! Sounds similar to when I pop plugs out of the pockets in my dome's tray. My cloning success rate is still abysmal though...tried almost every popular method (even bubble cloner) with varied success rates. Zero consistency!

Will give this a shot and see what happens.

Also, are you feeding the mom normal veg nutes? I've heard success rates increase when plants have more P. Kinda noticed this as well when I switched nute composition.