What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New 8KW stealth Coco chip grow!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Lazyman you don't seem lazy at all, great set up and details.
Keeps the pics coming! Good vibes!

Thanks much FeltonMuggs, much appreciated! I am a lazy guy, but only because I would rather sit on my ass than work hard. If I touch something, I make sure it's the last time whenever possible. Anything I have to mess with regularly probably needs to be replaced.

Just did a total dunk of ALL the plants last night, still was seeing too many gnats. I mixed up 5 gallon buckets of:

75* ph'd well water
mosquito dunks
neem oil
SM-90
Inoculaid
Potassium silicate (Barricade)
Safer fungicide

Whew, had to mix up about 5 buckets of the stuff, but I think it worked well. No gnats flying around today, also put up some yellow sticky traps and caught a bunch on those.

Took some fresh pics, staked up a dozen that were starting to lean over, and checked the reservoirs. Still nice and clean, water is almost clear despite the soup is 5 weeks old now. Topping off with plain well water now daily on the float valves, pH is still rising and nute uptake is good. Moved some plants around to group them better by height and ordered up clones for the next round.

I'll be doing purple AK and old Trainwreck, half and half (75 each.)

I think when I do revisions later this year I'll do two 6KW flip flop rooms and a bigger electrical line, and add a dual zone ductless AC to cool both. Probably pull around 60 amps during the day, less at night if I can just use fans. Gonna run around 10K for the upgrades I bet, but I can make that up with the first crop out of the second room. I think I'll pick up two of those water cooled Co2 generators and a couple fuzzy logic controllers too, one per room.

Securityfirst

Water cooled co2 generators

Water cooled co2 generators

Thanks much FeltonMuggs, much appreciated! I am a lazy guy, but only because I would rather sit on my ass than work hard. If I touch something, I make sure it's the last time whenever possible. Anything I have to mess with regularly probably needs to be replaced.

Just did a total dunk of ALL the plants last night, still was seeing too many gnats. I mixed up 5 gallon buckets of:

75* ph'd well water
mosquito dunks
neem oil
SM-90
Inoculaid
Potassium silicate (Barricade)
Safer fungicide

Whew, had to mix up about 5 buckets of the stuff, but I think it worked well. No gnats flying around today, also put up some yellow sticky traps and caught a bunch on those.

Took some fresh pics, staked up a dozen that were starting to lean over, and checked the reservoirs. Still nice and clean, water is almost clear despite the soup is 5 weeks old now. Topping off with plain well water now daily on the float valves, pH is still rising and nute uptake is good. Moved some plants around to group them better by height and ordered up clones for the next round.

I'll be doing purple AK and old Trainwreck, half and half (75 each.)

I think when I do revisions later this year I'll do two 6KW flip flop rooms and a bigger electrical line, and add a dual zone ductless AC to cool both. Probably pull around 60 amps during the day, less at night if I can just use fans. Gonna run around 10K for the upgrades I bet, but I can make that up with the first crop out of the second room. I think I'll pick up two of those water cooled Co2 generators and a couple fuzzy logic controllers too, one per room.

Whats up Lazyman?

My favorite grow store tells me that they stopped making the water cooled
co2 generators because they are not safe. With a split a/c you should be able to do a natural gas or propane co2 burner. :2cents:

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
dude buy mosquito dunks and just throw one in each rez.... youll never have gnats

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I'm up to 4 in each res now, but my dunk seems to have been the only thing that worked!

D

dongle69

You may be keeping your medium too wet if you still have gnats when using mosquito dunks.
Maybe the coco chips just provide the perfect environment for them.
As for your death recipe dunk, did you dunk the roots and all?
If you dunked just the foliage, the gnat larvae is still in your medium.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
You may be keeping your medium too wet if you still have gnats when using mosquito dunks.
Maybe the coco chips just provide the perfect environment for them.
As for your death recipe dunk, did you dunk the roots and all?
If you dunked just the foliage, the gnat larvae is still in your medium.

Yep, I check several pots for weight daily, the bigger plants are watered once a day (and are mostly dry, very light by watering time. The smaller once are watered 3X a week, with similar results. I'm afraid to let them get bone dry, but could give it a shot if you suggest it.

Yep dunked the whole pot, up to the stem so they got totally submerged (lol at death recipe.) Only ran the dunks for a week so I don't know if they had time to work, but since the floods don't submerge the pots entirely I think that's how they survived.

Ok gonna start uploading some pics now...

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
you might just want to put one in each rez man.... ive heard rez talk about salt buildups because of them.... just a warning i have ran them with coco yet but rez does....

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hmm, I was told that you can't overdose on the dunks because it's just a bacteria in them that eats fungus gnat larvae or something, are you sure?

Ok new pics, room is at 35 days flowering now, these are from last night so I guess 34!

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
dont know from first hand experience but i remember reading rez saying it cause salt buildup and fucked up on e of his crops....

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Whats up Lazyman?

My favorite grow store tells me that they stopped making the water cooled
co2 generators because they are not safe. With a split a/c you should be able to do a natural gas or propane co2 burner. :2cents:

Aw crap, they did put out lots more CO2 than most of the regular propane units I found (45Cu feet/min vs 20-24 for most regular ones.) Maybe I can still grab a couple, do they catch on fire or something?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
yo lazyman, be sure those are fungus gnats, not Phylloxera http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70503
the males fly and look alot like fungus gnats its easy to misidentify.

hope its not the aphids and you got your pest properly id'd.

stay safe

Thanks for lookin out man,I'm familiar with Phylloxera (living in wine country) but fortunately they're just regular ol' fungus gnats (thank god!) I'd rather have a million gnats than 100 spider mites!

Securityfirst

Water Cooled C02

Water Cooled C02

Aw crap, they did put out lots more CO2 than most of the regular propane units I found (45Cu feet/min vs 20-24 for most regular ones.) Maybe I can still grab a couple, do they catch on fire or something?

There was some kind of heat issue yeah. I tryed researching them on this site and google and found out you can still order them. Ask your growstore ,see what they say. I would still like to get one because they are cheap like 350 online or so and in their video on youtube they seem to work just fine. When Im balling next Ill maybe give a call to the maker of them. See what they say.....

Your plants are looking good!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
There was some kind of heat issue yeah. I tryed researching them on this site and google and found out you can still order them. Ask your growstore ,see what they say. I would still like to get one because they are cheap like 350 online or so and in their video on youtube they seem to work just fine. When Im balling next Ill maybe give a call to the maker of them. See what they say.....

Your plants are looking good!

Thanks man! Just got some better closeup shots tonight, takes forever to upload em so they'll pop up tomorrow.

Yeah I'll ask my local shop, I'll also be at the SF gardening expo later this month, first thing I'm lookin for is the Hydrologic booth to ask about these! :joint: Take it easy man

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ok, some better pics, these were ltaken last night (I think that's day 37, mostly Chem Dawg D and Ice, a couple Jack Herers and Sage n sour and one Sattori too!

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I use homemade drying racks made of 1"X1/2" wood in 36" square frames, and added 4" legs so I can stack them. Covered them with plastic 1/2" landscape netting and they hold about a half elbow each, and stack so they take up very little floor space.

I just started reading your thread from the beginning and I've already found something to 'borrow'. I like the bit about the legs. I was pretty much planning to do this with the framed screens, but the legs are something I didn't consider. Now I don't have to try to make pegs to hold my racks... I can just stack them on top of each other. Awesome bro. +rep

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I just started reading your thread from the beginning and I've already found something to 'borrow'. I like the bit about the legs. I was pretty much planning to do this with the framed screens, but the legs are something I didn't consider. Now I don't have to try to make pegs to hold my racks... I can just stack them on top of each other. Awesome bro. +rep

Thanks man, they were pretty simple to build, I would recommend 1/4" or 1/2" plastic netting, get the 36" wide stuff and build your racks that size, it's the most common size netting so it's easy to find. I wanted big so I used 40" and ran out halfway through, and of course all the local stores were out or didn't carry 40"! lol Serves me right for trying to get fancy.

Latest posts

Latest posts