What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vaccines for Cats - Health Risk ?

St. Phatty

In preparing for myself doing some medical tourism (have to drive a bit for a minor surgery etc.) I'm preparing my animals for when I'm not there to feed them.

I'm thinking about putting the 2 cats at a kennel, which requires these vaccines - "Rabies, RCP, and Leukemia".

From the kennel people's description, the sore throat my cat had might have been RCP, so he & she have those anti-bodies.

However, we didn't have a blood test, so we don't know for sure.

I'm 100% anti-vaccine for people, not because I'm anti-vaccine - because American "doctors" are so incredibly un-trustworthy and because I've witnessed so many falsified clinical trials, where Adverse Events (injured and/or crippled patients) had their records removed from the clinical record.

I'm therefore very cautious about having my cats given a vaccine.

But, I need to take care of my own health and drive a bit.

Please, would like to hear from other ICMag pet owners about their experiences with these vaccines - "Rabies, RCP, and Leukemia".

Thanks for any info !

armedoldhippy

Veteran
feline leukemia is a very contagious disease that, if not treated can cause worse problems down the road like cancer. rabies is one that refusing to vaccinate for is irresponsible on its face. an animal exposed to rabies (but not vaccinated) WILL be put down by local health officials. the other one you mentioned i am not familiar with. gotta look it up...

Betterhaff

Veteran
A lot of times the RCP and feline leukemia vaccine are combined into one. I vaccinate my cat but have never boarded her (she would definitely not approve of that). Too bad you can’t have someone check on them every few days.

When young, my cat had an immune-deficiency condition…almost died, got so dehydrated she had an infusion of fluids. Have to be careful with her with vaccinations. Each one is given separately 6 months apart as opposed to an all in one booster or getting them all at the same time.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
While I haven't witnessed it first hand I have reason to believe the principle of vaccination is sound. I agree that modern vets and hospitals push vaccinations as an invoice item. If the kennel requires it the risk of harm to your cat from the shot may be less than the risk of catching something at the kennel. It can be a real can of worms because on one hand there is for example the near eradication of polio disease; assuming the vaccine worked as described it saved lives. On the other hand how many vaccinations are there and what is the risk or likelihood of exposure to that pathogen, how many who are exposed get sick? etc. It would be worth reading into the modes of transmission for the diseases in question. For what it's worth I wouldn't want my pets boarded or given extra shots either, might not have much of a choice.

St. Phatty

On the other hand how many vaccinations are there and what is the risk or likelihood of exposure to that pathogen, how many who are exposed get sick? etc. It would be worth reading into the modes of transmission for the diseases in question. For what it's worth I wouldn't want my pets boarded or given extra shots either, might not have much of a choice.

I have 2 neighbors who have been involved in a feud that involved the shooting dead of each other's dogs, about 12 years ago.

One of the neighbors died, but the other neighbor sort of continues the feud. He called up on September 5 and threatened to shoot my cat. He was upset because bird and mammal infant mortality this year was near 100% in some species. He was sort of blaming my cat for the death of local baby quails etc.

When there's no water in a 100 square miles, the baby animals sort of become the closest many wild animals can get, to a drink of water.

I am pretty much waiting for the one neighbor to have a moment when he is in a sound & reasonable state of mind and we can talk about the effect cats have on indigenous animal populations. Maybe even invite someone from the Audubon society to tour our beautiful valley.

Until then I have to keep the cat close to home. The male cat tends to wander most in the summer.

The male & female are related, with the same mother & grandmother, and the male may be her father. She is less of a pet. I was thinking of taking her to the vet first and see what reaction she has to the vaccination.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
feral cats & pet cats allowed to roam kill millions of songbirds every year. this is why every cat i have owned is a house cat. my one exception never brought a bird home, but she piled up dead moles for several weeks after we started feeding her & letting her stay here. she transitioned into a house cat pretty dang quick...

Sign

The problem with vaccines is they are pushed into us too fast when a more delayed timetable could show less adverse affects.

The reason I hate vaccines is because of the shekel grabbing companies behind them lobbying federal, state and private companies into mandating them as a money making business all while being immune from lawsuits, criticism and any wrongdoing from mistakes or side affects resulting from them. How they pulled that off I can only guess but it's sleazy as hell and just shines a light on top down corruption.

I don't actually have a problem with them when they actually work though, although they've been doing a shit job of picking the magic 3 for the flu the last however many years.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
straying somewhat from cats here. has anyone else read about the health emergency in Oregon where they have a serious measles outbreak from folks not getting their children vaccinated?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Its bad logic.. pasteur confirmed his own germ theory to be incorrect and that it is the terrain that matters.. Nobody ever mentions this im assuming because this poison we now call medicine is worth trillions.. Pasteur came to his senses and realised it is not the infective nature of the microorganism that matters most but the hosts susceptability to it.

Our approach to fighting microorganisms in the modern era is totally backwards..

Also once you have met enough people and animals given autism or epilepsy from bad reactions to vaccines you tend to think fuck that.. ive lost count and these are tragic cases..

Its very bad science trying to get in this kind of arms race.. especially when the preservatives in these things are also toxic metals..

Death by lazyness, that's what's going on today.

All that said your cats will more than likely be fine and even despite what i said above id probably get them done if i needed to kennel them because you have no choice.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Eventually everyone will get vaccinated because the anti vac people will die out. We should be forced to get them like we force a schizophrenic to get shots once a month. We should also force the flat earthers and tin foil mad hatters too.

dddaver

Veteran
Name calling is the reaction of the losing side of any discussion. Ask the President. He's one of the best I've ever seen that does that....or worst that does that. :woohoo:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Eventually everyone will get vaccinated because the anti vac people will die out. We should be forced to get them like we force a schizophrenic to get shots once a month. We should also force the flat earthers and tin foil mad hatters too.

i dunno. i work with a "flat-earther"/tin foil mad hatter & he is SO enjoyable to watch.:) he can twist himself into the tightest knots you have ever seen trying to be believable. do they really FORCE schizos to get shots? or is it just those that have been adjudicated as a danger to themselves and/or others?

St. Phatty

Since the late 90's - if not before - the American medical profession has STOPPED tracking Adverse Event results from American medical "care".

There's no reason to believe that vets for animals are any more conscientious.

Also it's difficult for the animal to communicate when there is a problem.

I've taken my cat to a vet, ONCE, for an infection that was treated with Penicillin.

He made a comment about using the Flea Poison that you rub on the back of the cat's neck.

I asked him if he would rub that poison on the back of his own neck. or on the back of the neck of a pregnant woman, or a young child.

I also asked him to explain the poison, and to explain what effect it has on the cat's endocrine system.

He was unable to answer a single question about the poison he was recommending, other than admitting it should not be rubbed on human skin.