What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

propane heater in a vented non sealed 24'x24' garage?

p0opstlnksal0t

anyone running an indoor type 30k btu + propane heater in their vented/non sealed grow? night time temps get into the 40's-50's and with the cost of Electricity in new england a propane heater may be the way to go.

will there be any added benefit of co2 generated via the combustion?

what other VOC's should i worry about building up (carbon monoxide, etc.) from a clean burning indoor type propane heater?

at night time the room doesnt get vented since temps are so low. once lights flip on and room heats up the propane heater would sit idle with only the pilot light going.

coldcanna

Veteran
Are you talking about one of the ventless wall units? Those are fine, just cover your ass and put a reliable carbon monoxide detector so you know before you go in to work. generally those are very reliable in non-inhabited spaces.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thing is, you’re increasing CO2 levels at lights out, when the plants not only have no use for it, but are also exhausting an excess of it themselves… which is why some “sealed” operations vent at night.

Did some experimenting with a 20,000 btu ventless natural gas space heater in an unheated basement (roughly 1100 sqft). Used it to heat a finished portion of the basement while running a non-sealed room with negative pressure to introduce CO2 into the grow room, and found PPM readings to be rather high. Even when only running the pilot light I found readings in the room at lights on in excess of 1000 PPM. And much higher at lights out.

Maybe a propane fired RV type furnace might be an option? They do make small propane furnaces - no idea how reasonably priced though.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your plants will continue growth until you get down to about 50 degrees. Plants however will easily survive down to about 28 degrees.

Lower temps aren't necessarily a bad thing until it causes the plants to stop growing.

p0opstlnksal0t

Are you talking about one of the ventless wall units? Those are fine, just cover your ass and put a reliable carbon monoxide detector so you know before you go in to work. generally those are very reliable in non-inhabited spaces.

yes the ventless wall type units
https://www.amazon.com/Avenger-FDT2IR-Infrared-Thermostat-included/dp/B017WT5N7G?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_7

Thing is, you’re increasing CO2 levels at lights out, when the plants not only have no use for it, but are also exhausting an excess of it themselves… which is why some “sealed” operations vent at night.

Did some experimenting with a 20,000 btu ventless natural gas space heater in an unheated basement (roughly 1100 sqft). Used it to heat a finished portion of the basement while running a non-sealed room with negative pressure to introduce CO2 into the grow room, and found PPM readings to be rather high. Even when only running the pilot light I found readings in the room at lights on in excess of 1000 PPM. And much higher at lights out.

Maybe a propane fired RV type furnace might be an option? They do make small propane furnaces - no idea how reasonably priced though.

sounds like the pilot light during lights on worked out well then. my room exhausts 1700cfm roughly every 10 mins for about 3 minutes with lights on in winter.

this would only be used in the coldest of maine winter months during lights out not something that i plan to run all year.

Your plants will continue growth until you get down to about 50 degrees. Plants however will easily survive down to about 28 degrees.

Lower temps aren't necessarily a bad thing until it causes the plants to stop growing.

ya im hoping to dial in a better lights out temp during the coldest parts of winter. the room has seen 30's even on some days but usually in the 40s at lights out during the coldest months.

troutman

Seed Whore
In the long run it would cheaper to insulate the garage and just had an inlet and outlet vent. :tiphat:

If there's plenty of oxygen because of proper ventilation the carbon monoxide produced
by combustion will be nil. Carbon monoxide is only present when oxygen is lacking. With
oxygen it's converted into carbon dioxide which your plants will like.

I’ve actually been thinking along these same lines. I have 2 smaller free standing vent free propane units that are killer little units (bought one for $100 and one for $50 used) and started wondering about the co2 production aspect. Haven’t had a need for it yet, typically stays warm enough around here but I’m always thinking about the what-ifs.

To add to the last post, you could definitely find a small propane/gas furnace that would allow you to keep the exhaust gases sealed and out of your room, but you gotta have a legit place to intake and exhaust. I also thought about the hanging type that you’d see in a typical garage or shop as well, but I think you’d be safer with a true furnace.. Something along the lines of a unit you’d see in a RV or Mobile Home. Bet you could find one for pretty cheap if you look around.

Any other experience out there? Good luck! Excited to see some pics if and when ;)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A ceiling fan... To move the warm air up high down to the ground?

They make them so that they hug the ceiling fairly tightly if space would be a concern.
Just throwing ideas out there.

coldcanna

Veteran
A problem with allowing the room to cool down drastically at night is that you are creating a perfect climate for powdery mildew. PM is especially prevalent in areas with warm/dry days and cool/damp nights. There's an inverse relationship between temp and humidity, warmer air can hold more water so it raises the dew-point, whereas when the temperature drops your relative humidity spikes and you have a very good chance of fungal issues. I grew in Maine for years and know that the spring/fall can be a nightmare with cool temps and tons of rain.