What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TDS for nutrients used in soil grows

Magnificat

1. serious risk of mold during flowering
2. reduced levels of resistance against pests
3. male flowers on females/hermies
4. high percentage of males in regular seeds
5. leaf loss
6. lower yields
7. premature ending of flowering
8. unsavory taste or aroma in buds
9. health risk from radioactive traces in the cannabis (from phosphate residues)

So number 7 for sure.
My last run I did in fact push them a little too much the last 2 weeks of flower (700 ppms) and I ended up seeing some issues. The stems were hollow at cut on some and they were not oily and rich, seemed like they were drying out on the stems so to speak.

I would say number 8 is a result of #7, and one that most people don't even consider or realize. I have grown enough to know and also run low EC levels.
As others have said, I run a little lower than the lowest levels indicated in your chart and if you cook them, even at the end it can have a negative impact on the final product.

Last edited:

browntrout

Veteran
It can depend on the microlife in the soil and if you are using inoculations, also humic and fulvic acids increase absorption/availability rates. I use very little with Recharge/Enzymes and Humic/Fluvics.

Some of the Hydro stuff has humics/fulvics within.

Just as a background, I had been trying to grow with all organic nutes and have been having problems with my last several batches. My girls weren't growing well and I wasn't getting any quality bud. The only thing that I could think of that I was messing up was the cooking of the soil so the nutes weren't available for my girls.

Either way I gave all the suffering girls a good dose (5 oz Pure Blend Pro Bloom Soil + 5 gallons H2O) and they immediately sprung back to life.

I used to use chem nutes but it had been years and, from what I remember, everyone used to preach 'less is more'. I noticed these PPM feeding charts recently and since I returned to Pure Blend I thought I would try it out. I used to use about 2-3 oz PBP + 5 gallons of H2O but now I am using 7-8 oz + 5 gal H2O and my PPMs are about 750-800.

My girls absolutely love it! The buds are larger than I have ever seen and the smell is unbelievable. If you are out there on the fence thinking about this, try it with a small number of girls where if you lose them it won't matter all that much. I think you will like the results!