What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Razorback hog in my area

Dog Star

Veteran
Hogs can be dangerous if you miss them as they run on hunter then,you can look at
You Toube pig hunts,they are hell on a Earth if they catch you with those
clawed teeths,tusks...

also hurd that fishmeal attracts them a lot,you could drug him with some pills
laced fishmeal and then you catch him whithouth fired bullet,dont know if they
are great pets for having at home... ;D LOL

Some talked that he put fishmeal in holes with plants,next day founded pigs eated
a 30 centimeters layer of soil around a plants,together with plants...

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Can you use a cross bow to make bacon out of him? Can you even eat a razor back? I know they are real pests as I have seen documentaries where they tear up everything.

soil margin

Veteran
I think killing the pig silently is probably the "best" option as others have stated. But if you don't feel like sitting outside waiting for the hog to show up, the "easier" and more long term method from my perspective would be to install both hog wire above ground around the plants, as well as some kind of underground barrier. Remember hogs love to dig and they only need to dig as deep as their circumference in order to get underneath a fence that is sitting on ground level. Something like a ring of big rocks, barb wire, etc. buried underground a good 6-8 inches would probably be enough of a deterrent.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
the "easier" and more long term method from my perspective would be to install both hog wire above ground around the plants, as well as some kind of underground barrier. .
Hogs are both very intelligent and amazingly powerful. This is definitely not the 'easiest,' way to deal with them. I assure you, quietly waiting with a silenced, semi-auto rifle with night-vision is significantly easier. Rather less expensive as well, depending on how many plants you're trying to protect.

Stone is not easy and works very well against hogs. A hog will rip a fence post out of the ground quite easily, especially if it wants what's on the other side. Hog wire will rust in the ground and need to be replaced.

Big Nasty

Human hair or dog hair and piss should do the trick,this is how we deal with boars that feast on cherry trees,better be friend with a barber :) ,the duration is a couple week,obviously shorter if it rains heavily.There are also product that keep them away beacause of the smell .Fences,unless half-buried in concrete or electrified,just don't work with boars.

I lolled pretty good at the guy saying that pepper spray for humans is the potent stuff. Please don't listen to that hokum.
I live in a remote, bear INFESTED area. In the summer they sit around here at night talking to each other, right across my little town. Its better when your are tending to plants and you hear one close by. Then a bigger one answers back from the other side of you, 3 times closer!...i take a bear banger and a 300g can of bear spray and leave the guns at home. Go look at the Alaska fish and game studies on bear attacks and the rate of injuries comparing utilizing a gun a defense as opposed to bear spray. Ask any Alaska guide, and they deal with 4 types of bears in places(Grizzly/Kodiak/brown/polar) what they choose for primary defense.

Not sure if this has been dealt with yet Militia(the hog)...

If you kill him, no matter with a crossbow or what not it will be loud. I've plugged a few pigs in my day with a rifle and they are tough as nails. They can't be knocked out like most mammals as far as i have seen, they are either full bore or dying...They use a .22 at the butcher then cut it's throat right away. But they are LOUD man, don't ruin your spot for that.

If you need to kill it, use some bait and chose where and when. Set up a tree stand as far as possible from your patch, lead it downhill and ambush the thing. If it's an older boar you may not want to eat it - plan on it quite possibly tasting like piss.

But this is neither here nor there. Get yourself a 'solar fencing energizer'.
You will either need to get 2 smaller AGM or lithium lawn tractor batteries or a small solar panel and one battery.
A standard energizer can do 10's of miles of fencing at 10k volts on average. You can get netting with 2" squares, tons of styles of fencing. There are little jumpers that you can set up as a gate, you unclip it, move the fencing to get inside and then reclip it to keep the safety factor up. Takes 5 seconds to unclip and reclip back up. You can reuse it and move it.
One charger would enable you to setup a multi level perimeter. 2 or 3 containment zones...

The only thing that makes it an imperfect solution is the need to ground such a system. The strength of the whole thing depends completely on a solid ground, my last one was 6x8' ⅝" rod.

If you could use a cordless drill with a masonry bit and stick a cpl of pins in the rock maybe 2' long you'd be set, depending on the rocks mineral composition of course. But your energizer and the ground system can be 2 miles from the fencing. You'd need the batts/solar panel +1batt, the fencing, some posts or insulators for trees and some galvanized wire for the grounding system. Getting the fencing there would be by far the hardest part, it's not the lightest stuff...

Any questions about the fencing Militia, pm me if I don't see it here.

Many blessings to all:tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
got a zoo close by? i've read that scattering lion or tiger shit around will run off things like deer, hogs etc. animals can tell by the scent of droppings what was eaten- meat versus plant matter.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Haven't read up on it yet, but heard the natives around here (four corners area) used to hunt using datura. The stuff grows wild around here.

They would harvest the plants, boil them down to a syrup, and then dip their little skinny arrowheads in it. They'd shoot the animal in the rump, it runs off a few yards and then stands there "in the spirit world," wobbling a little. They walk up and slit it's throat.

No adrenaline in the meat, no real noise, no fuss, no bother. Clean and quiet. heh

Now I'm wondering how well this would work on hogs. ;)

OlOneLung

In my part of the country we have a lot of hogs. They tend to move around quite a bit mostly due to the availability of water. Sometimes you are overrun and others times you couldn't find one if your life depended on it. He may just find some place he likes better. We do a lot of trapping. If you can find someone with a hog trap they are very effective. Don't set it but keep the door open and bait it until you know it is being visited then set it. It sounds like it is a big boar. If it is don't even try to eat him. There is nothing you can do to make him taste good.

Green Squall

Since hunting is not an option, how about buying a humane trap and relocating him? If he's one of the big guys, this could be an issue cost wise.