What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SWC (shallow water culture system)

A few of u may have seen my recent White Widow extm. grow pics...
My system is what I have named the shallow water culture system...
It functions on all the same principles as a DWC using only .5"-1.0" of water, thus a shallow water system...I have been growing hydro for 35 years and of all the the systems available on the market, this is ultimatly what it all came back too.
My current system is in a 4ft wide by 5.5ft deep closet...
It starts with a pc of foam board on the floor which the 2x4 frame sits on....the 2x4 frame is lined with panda plastic, creating your reservoir.....prior to putting down the plastic, a 4-5" by 1.5ft rectangle is cut in the base foam board at the working end....that being the end where u would add water....this creates a sump area where circulation pumps will be....when ur water gets below .5" and its time to add more, your pumps are still in over an inch of water and still circulating fine...

The lid on the res is also a pc of foiled foam board cut to size to sit on your 2x4 frame....a cutout is made for each of your containers based on the number of plants u like to run...as u see, mine has (12) #2 containers....a rectangular cutout is also on the lid, at the working end for watering and pump placement and access..

The wonderful thing about a SWC set up is that it can operate without airstones and chillers making it a great set up for beginners...the pumps are angled to create a 'roostertail' effect....this adds an enormous amount of D.O. (dissolved oxygen)...that in conjunction with very shallow water keeps the roots healthy and results in fast growing plants that produce excellent yeilds for ur strain...
I am growing White Widow extm and this is my 3rd crop from original seed stock...I want to see if indeed a chiller would make this strain grow larger yeilds so I have added one this time..same plants, space, nutes, EVERYTHING with the new addition of a chiller....this will be as good as a side by side comparison....I know a chiller is imperative with DWC systems but curious if it will even help the SWC system...this pic was taken the day I put them imto flower...they WILL completely fill this space...

I do use a fizz pot for C02 production...this sq footage is not quite big enuf to justify a tank, solenoid and timer...my fizz pot creates and enormous amount of C02...its just a 5gal bucket with sealed lid and two openings...there is 3" of marble stone in the bottom and filled 2/3 with water....the lid has 2 plugs, 1 with an air line which is wired to the back of my osc fan and the other plug is used for adding hydrochloric acid...the acid 'eats' the marble stone and one of the byproducts is C02...a half cup twice during a 'day cycle' creates all I need..
Since these plants are just 2 days into flower at this point, I am attaching some full garden pics and bud pics from the last crop.....I will also post more pics as this current garden evolves...regards, YT

Attachments

• 20160103_132451.jpg
    20160103_132451.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160103_133517_HDR.jpg
    20160103_133517_HDR.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20160104_232347.jpg
    20160104_232347.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160104_233229_HDR.jpg
    20160104_233229_HDR.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 26

gardener60

Very nice setup and simple whatever you are doing it must be right. As they say the proof is in the pudding. Question are you using straight Perlite?

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
the 2x4 frame is lined with panda plastic, creating your reservoir.....

You should look into pond liner for what you are doing, it's intended for "what" you are doing. Panda film isn't intended to be used as your res., it's meant to block light.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Moving Shallow water tends to have very high DO! Plant's roots love that. I would take gano's advice on the pond liner.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im not surprised, as I did one grow with a shallow bubble system

However, IMO, F & D- where the tray is flooded to the top of the roots- produces a stronger plant with more nodes/buds

See my last grow thread for pics

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I made hybrid system once ..it could be run nft,or aero,or swc...and almost all of it was free...yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
hydro used to fascinate me..i also had money and space to play....yeehaw..I have tried and modified almost every design at one time or another...

Been using the panda dark side up for a long time and dont really care about what it was designed for....I am interested only with the functionality....shit, my Beckett pumps were designed for outside fountains and I use them to grow weed...it is inexpensive and works great....I dont have the need for POND LINERS....It simply holds some shallow water and has never failed...if I put a fish pond out back, I will look into pond liners....

This is the key to this systems D.O. enrichment....2 beckett, 250gph pumps, 'roostertailing' the water/nute mix around....a pc of foam board covers this pump and watering location...

Attachments

• 20160107_225828.jpg
    20160107_225828.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 21
I use 3:1 perlite to vermiculite with coarse perlite or 4:1 with standard perlite....Straight perlite would be a little too dry for my liking....the coarse perlite is a little harder to find in my area and is 3x the cost....
Everything in this is designed to be disposable....$15 worth of containers, $2.00 worth of plastic, and about $10.00 worth of medium and lava rock...So I replant with all new sterile materials for under $30....
I am not cheap but after 35 years of growing, I do what has worked the best and this is it!!!
I am a retired engineer and I look for simplicity and functionality... Dont look at how something works, but WHY it works and u better understand the how to get it done without wasting time and $$$....there is WAY TO MUCH BS on the market designed to work OK, but designed moreso to lighten your wallet...kind of like spending a $100 on 'POND LINERS' just because they are made to hold water when $2.00 worth of panda works as well and is disposable...the nute market is the worse of them all....I use a single use nute (dyna grow and bloom)....I add a little silica suppliment to stiffen stalks and 'bullet proof' the plants....a cpl drops of superthive and I'm done...I have seen ppl's lists of products in their feeding program and I dont know how they can give their plant the proper amt of the 'base' nutrient (which already has what u need) without ultimately having a toxic mix....A single use product is all u really need....they are formulated just for this....anyways, yeah mix has vermiculite in it...LOL

cyat

Veteran
Just wondering a few things..where do the feed lines go? Regular pots just sitting on the bottom piece? Why three pumps and an air pump? What's lava used for if your mix is perlite and vermiculite? Do you feed constantly? Thanks for the knowledge

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
A few of u may have seen my recent White Widow extm. grow pics...
My system is what I have named the shallow water culture system...
It functions on all the same principles as a DWC using only .5"-1.0" of water, thus a shallow water system...I have been growing hydro for 35 years and of all the the systems available on the market, this is ultimatly what it all came back too.
My current system is in a 4ft wide by 5.5ft deep closet...
It starts with a pc of foam board on the floor which the 2x4 frame sits on....the 2x4 frame is lined with panda plastic, creating your reservoir.....prior to putting down the plastic, a 4-5" by 1.5ft rectangle is cut in the base foam board at the working end....that being the end where u would add water....this creates a sump area where circulation pumps will be....when ur water gets below .5" and its time to add more, your pumps are still in over an inch of water and still circulating fine...

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=345171&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

The lid on the res is also a pc of foiled foam board cut to size to sit on your 2x4 frame....a cutout is made for each of your containers based on the number of plants u like to run...as u see, mine has (12) #2 containers....a rectangular cutout is also on the lid, at the working end for watering and pump placement and access..

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=345172&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL] .

The wonderful thing about a SWC set up is that it can operate without airstones and chillers making it a great set up for beginners...the pumps are angled to create a 'roostertail' effect....this adds an enormous amount of D.O. (dissolved oxygen)...that in conjunction with very shallow water keeps the roots healthy and results in fast growing plants that produce excellent yeilds for ur strain...
I am growing White Widow extm and this is my 3rd crop from original seed stock...I want to see if indeed a chiller would make this strain grow larger yeilds so I have added one this time..same plants, space, nutes, EVERYTHING with the new addition of a chiller....this will be as good as a side by side comparison....I know a chiller is imperative with DWC systems but curious if it will even help the SWC system...this pic was taken the day I put them imto flower...they WILL completely fill this space...

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=345173&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

I do use a fizz pot for C02 production...this sq footage is not quite big enuf to justify a tank, solenoid and timer...my fizz pot creates and enormous amount of C02...its just a 5gal bucket with sealed lid and two openings...there is 3" of marble stone in the bottom and filled 2/3 with water....the lid has 2 plugs, 1 with an air line which is wired to the back of my osc fan and the other plug is used for adding hydrochloric acid...the acid 'eats' the marble stone and one of the byproducts is C02...a half cup twice during a 'day cycle' creates all I need..
Since these plants are just 2 days into flower at this point, I am attaching some full garden pics and bud pics from the last crop.....I will also post more pics as this current garden evolves...regards, YT

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=342252&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL] [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=343526&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

I did see your other thread but where?? could you post a link to it please.

There were more close up pics there. I'm happy to red more about SWC.

Actually those are not feed lines, they go to air stones....a friend gave up the air pump for free amd the stones only a $1.50 each.....I put 3 in of lava rock in the bottom of each container...I found the roots love that VERY airy space btwn the water and medium...u could certainly go with straight hydroton also (top to bottom) but of course cost a lot more than the perlite/vermiculite mix.....u can chose to use #1 containers and more plants...for that matter, net pots would also work but I never used them in this set up....
No plumbing or remote rez to deal with...inexpensive, sacrificial materials and from a technical standpoint, it has all a hydroponic system needs to thrive....trust me on that....after 35 years of tweaking different systems, this is by far my favorite!!!! Pricey and complex DOES NOT equal the best set up....when I consider EVERYTHING a plant needs to thrive, this has it covered....ppl see it, and think its too generic to be effective...could not be any further from the truth....there was an engineering principle developed by Disney engineers in the 80ies called THE KISS SYSTEM....it actually stood for Keep It Simple Stupid...to many things these days way over engineered moreso to make $$ for a company than help someone become a better grower....regards, YT