What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pic questions

Ok,,,,I don't have pics yet, but would like to take some nice flowering pictures without my HPS interfering.

If this isn't in the right section, feel free to tell me where to put it ;).

Here's my question: for some nice flower pics....do you all take them before your lights come on, or right after they go off? If so, does the ambient (non grow) lights pose a "light leak" threat, or does the flash for that matter pose a threat. Or does everyone just turn the grow light off for pictures then turn back on when your done?

I just want to get the best possible pics without the risk of hermies and am not quite sure how to do about it. My present grow is blowing me away, so I'd like to share with folks here.

TIA!

mk6

I take mine after lights go off... I turn on a cfl in the room before the lights go out, then take some group shots, w/the flash - the hps mess-m up n I dont have an exspencive cam with filters lol... I also take a plant out of the room an shot some pics in natural sun light in the back yard too... I use a pos camara with a magnifing glass or a loop to take these.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

check the photo forum too....

Dorje113

You can usually set your white balance to compensate for the color of the hps lighting. Both my $150 4 year old p&s and my nicer camera can do this. Look for custom white balance, select that then take a test shot to calibrate the wb, now you have a custom HPS setting...

For maximum quality obviously you'd need to remove them from the grow room and give them optimal lighting for the shot you want to take but the custom wb setting works really well.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greentrich great to see you here..and it loos like you're getting some good advice already. As for white balance Dorje has set you on the right course, we have a sticky in this forum about that very issue that might help you some https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=24296
MK6 has a good technique, one I use as well. One has to consider and be cautious of the herm issue when playing with lighting in the grow room. If you match the light cycle you should be OK. I have a set of 200 watt daylight bulbs that I take into my room and turn off the MH/HPS while shooting with them. I don't like post processing to change the lighting so I prefer to get that right when shooting. I also move my plants to a room with indirect sun light. Direct sunlight produces to harsh effect for me, then back to the grow room. Good luck..we hope to see more pix from you soon..DD

...I don't like post processing to change the lighting so I prefer to get that right when shooting.

Bingo!

Unfortunately this is what I have resorted to in the past.

Yours is the same philosophy I try to use when recording music....get the recording (music, pics) right, eliminating post junk implementation. Just adds garbage.

Thanks for the info everyone! Most valuable. I will do my homework on that link...it's exactly what I was looking for. I was just looking in the wrong place.

Latest posts

Latest posts