What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Time Magazine Cover

Hey,

Didnt see this on here yet:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2030768,00.html

A very patronizing piece about how medical marijuana is a fraud, how big pharma has made it completely irrelevant very soon, and just generally disparaging of stoners in general.

Thank you to the writers of this article, for correctly judging us, as well as making informed opinions about marijuana from "stoner movies."

They talk about legalization, but this piece is so blatantly anti-weed in every respect, that i find it insulting. Fuck Time (magazine, not the pink floyd song)

Just lovely.

I fully expect to see Jenelise Robinson raided in the next month. Fucking bullshit article.

It's about time Time do some of their homework on Cannabis.

ddrew

Veteran
It's time for "Time", to pull their head out of their ass, and do some actual research.

T

TrichyTrichy

most probably publisher requested. they owe unclesam favour$. they've circumvented paying insurances and had independant contractors on staff for years. The gov't filed a lawsuit against the co. in the mid 90's.
they've done 'gift' pieces/articles before. just think of all the whack one covers and stories they've blended in over the years.

jd4083

Veteran
Didn't read the article but medical marijuana as we know it on the west coast IS a fraud, so what's the problem?

edit-thanks for the negative rep. By the way, I don't "grow in fear," and I'm terribly sorry if you do. ;)

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
I dont know. It could have been worst. They did use alot of old terms that cast marijuana negatively (grass, dope, pot) but it didnt seem that bad. The article itself didnt really seem to have much direction or purpose. For being a cover story, it didn't seem they covered that much.

I can attest to Nancy B's. Good people. Great product. I hope nothing bad comes of it due to the article...

PS> That joint on the cover looks pathetic. I could roll a better one with my buttcheeks.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More Prop 19 not passing fallout. Epic fail Time magazine. :moon:

igrowone

Veteran
i skimmed the article, didn't find it overwhelmingly pro or anti, though there was a condescending tone
but what i took away is how ridiculous federal MJ law currently is, and this is the consequence
i see it as a positive, more discussion of MJ law, and what should change
pressure is building for federal change of some sort, which i see as very positive

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the problem....

"dope is forbidden for everyone but totally O.K. for anyone who is willing to claim a chronic muscle spasm. Does anyone take such farcical distinctions seriously? And can a backlash be far behind?"

It's very commonplace, this site included, for people to be "bragging" that all one needs to do is go to a doctor and claim to have an illness. How long did people think it would be before someone caught onto that and started exploiting it........

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
For a main stream media news mag, the wording and attitude of the article are typical. They're still stuck in the peace love hippie daze and still can't realize Cannabis is and has been used as medicine world wide. The author didn't go far for their research, even with the ease of the internet. In my opinion for what its worth the press won't give Cannabis good press as the government doesn't really want them to. :smoweed::joint: And given the direction the government took recently I wouldn't expect the gov. to loosen up anytime soon.

crazybear

Do some people exploit medical marijuana laws just to get high yes. But the tone of this time magazine bullshit article is with out justification , myself & a lot of other people are helped by medical marijuana and the people at time magazine should get their heads out of there asses & investigate weather there are medical uses for medical mj. Instead of just coming off the wall saying that everybody is just fooling the system.
There are probably just as many people if not more getting pain meds or other scripts because they just want to get fucked up.
People that write articles like this & don't know what it's like to be in real pain all the time just piss me the fuck off. Don't judge people until you walk in their moccasins .:wtf::plant grow:

jd4083

Veteran
Do some people exploit medical marijuana laws just to get high yes. But the tone of this time magazine bullshit article is with out justification , myself & a lot of other people are helped by medical marijuana and the people at time magazine should get their heads out of there asses & investigate weather there are medical uses for medical mj. Instead of just coming off the wall saying that everybody is just fooling the system.
There are probably just as many people if not more getting pain meds or other scripts because they just want to get fucked up.
People that write articles like this & don't know what it's like to be in real pain all the time just piss me the fuck off. Don't judge people until you walk in their moccasins .:wtf::plant grow:

Some people? You mean the VAST majority of people? Let's get real and take off the rose-colored glasses people, west coast "medical marijuana" is decriminalized drug dealing and nothing more.

crazybear

Some people? You mean the VAST majority of people? Let's get real and take off the rose-colored glasses people, west coast "medical marijuana" is decriminalized drug dealing and nothing more.

You know your information as fact? I don't have rose colored glasses! What color are your glasses. And if they are just doing to get high, good for them, nothing wrong with pot. Your probably not smoking to ease pain . That is if you smoke! Don't judge me! or anybody else! You didn't have anything to say about people going to doctors to get high talk about legal bullshit drugs!:plant grow:

jd4083

Veteran
You know your information as fact? I don't have rose colored glasses! What color are your glasses. And if they are just doing to get high, good for them, nothing wrong with pot. Your probably not smoking to ease pain . That is if you smoke! Don't judge me! or anybody else! You didn't have anything to say about people going to doctors to get high talk about legal bullshit drugs!:plant grow:

I don't live anywhere near a MMJ state, I smoke for relaxation and vape oil/eat edibles for my back pain. Then again, in all these years I've yet to find a strain that does what a healthy lifestyle and regular exercise can accomplish. Does that mean I'm qualified to comment on the obvious bullshit that is west coast MMJ?

If you want to get high to get high, DO IT. The majority of people smoke MJ just for that reason, and there's nothing wrong with that. But when people start pretending that all the dope they're slinging is for "the patients" while prices remain at $4000+ per lb, my BS meter starts ticking and I have to step in and say something. :tiphat: If you really want to sit here and try to boldface lie to me and say that MMJ as it stands is "for the people" in any way, by all means, but that's just plain silly.

I've been a loyal customer of TIME (newspapers included), but their recent articles are just piss-poor journalism. This isn't just limited to mmj articles, of course, but I won't detract from our discussion of mmj in printed media.

I detest how they scoff at medical benefits of mj, and I'm even more ticked off about the way they portray growers and tokers. Take this for example:
attachment.php

Really, TIME? Really? The media has been trying to tie all sorts of negative images and connotations to mmj in the months leading up to Nov.2. Most laughable one of all is growers' destruction of the environment.

Their newspaper articles about mmj are also poorly researched, filled with faulty and haughty writing. Sad thing is, folks who aren't in-the-know would totally believe what TIME prints--even if the writers don't know jack squat about the subject at hand.

I've been busy clipping all the BS articles they've published, so if anyone wants to have a looky-loo, just holler and I'll upload some for us to laugh at.

Lastly, a big "LOL" for the featured bud in this week's issue of TIME Magazine. The "famed Pineapple Express variety", eh? Lazy journalism.

Attachments

• TIMEfail.jpg
    TIMEfail.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 7

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Unfortunately most of us don't give them much reason to depict us as anything other than what they do.

In the same way you can go to a tea party rally and just hit "record" and get all the xenophobic racist talk you want, you can go to a legalization rally and hit record and get Bill and Teds excellent adventure.

But I admit I do get tired of "the establishment" or whatever you want to call it constantly relating it to the 60s or 70s. I guess they do that because thats when their readers came to their conclusions about pot, but its so silly to keep using those same stereotypes forty years later.

-edit. I just read the article and the author is plugging his book about getting his kid into college. Exactly the demographic I was talking about who still see pot as what it was when they were 17 forty years ago.

jd4083

Veteran
Unfortunately we don't give them much reason to depict us as anything than what they do.

But I admit I do get tired of "the establishment" or whatever you want to call it constantly relating it to the 60s or 70s. I guess they do that because thats when their readers came to their conclusions about pot, but its so silly to keep using those same stereotypes forty years later.

Bingo.

Latest posts

Latest posts