What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Man, Im lovin coco!!

TicalionStalion

wellp...been growin for about 6-7 yrs now. started in soil, for a long while...then to hydro about a yr ago. Im really diggin hydro. anyway, Iv kept my moms in soil and theyve been kind of sketchy...seem kinda weathered and kinda lost their vigor. a few weeks ago I decided to switch to coco, and Im sure glad I did. Iv since started new moms from cuts off the old moms...they look like they did 5 years ago, beautiful vegetation, smells heavy in veg. just awesome again.

coco and smartpots are my new thing. Iv havnt seen root action and such perfect beautiful growth like this in a looong while. the roots just BLOW right thru the coco like its nothin..so easy to work with.

next round is 4x4 flood table, 1000w HPS w vertizontal hood, 16x 2gal. smartpots filled w coco...all different strains...blowfish, KKSC, ECSD, PK, OGK, Killawatt, and a few others.

just wanted to express my love, some pics soon to come, and Ill probly use this thread as my coco grow diary.

thanks guys! take care. :)

Nicoli

Veteran
Glad everyone switching to coco is loving it, cuz im about to dive in myself.

Thanks for more motivation :D

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice and smart decision TicalionStalion , welcome to the coco-coir club :)
here comes a little story,
A few years ago, i was growing (organic) in soil and had some really good results..a grow dude (domacin) who was growing in coco at this time,
used to say to me, hasi you have to try cocos out, its simply amazing...the whole thing was to strange for me, EC, pH, run off, measures..
who needs the whole stress :biggrin:
almost 5 years later, i can tell ya, i'm really happy that i've changed to cocos :dance013:

all the best for you n your next coco projects..keep us up to date..

:ying:

Been in coco from the get go. Just started with smart pots this time around. What a difference those made!

Now you just need to move over to blumat drippers ;).

Strangely

I was mulling over starting a 'I'm loving Coco' thread, and here you are well and truly beating me to it!

I've just started and I can't believe how easy it is (so far!). Some high posters were saying they germinate in coco, so I followed their lead and I'm off and running! Currently up to scrog screen in a tiny personal setup. Veg and flower in the same cab just swap bulbs over. So far so good, any suggestions for a good ph tester I can buy online with Paypal would be gratefully received though!

Ive been thinking a long time on trying coco out, but think im gonna try hydro first.

A lot of people is saying coco is the way to go, but im feeling kinda good with my soil.

Is there a lot of extra work with coco?

Peace.

Some high posters were saying they germinate in coco, so I followed their lead and I'm off and running! ...So far so good, any suggestions for a good ph tester I can buy online with Paypal would be gratefully received though!

I used to germ w/the paper towel method. Another member here strongly recommended just germing straight in coco. Tried it, loved it. Now I'm a germ'd convert...never messing with a bare taproot makes me sleep better at night ;). I mean, I never touched or damaged one before going from the towel to the coco, but the law of averages says it will happen.

I use Hanna's combo tester. Retails anywhere btwn 90-100 bucks, and is great. Only time I've had a problem with it was when I didn't take care of it very well. Cleaned it out though and it's been solid ever since. Using it for over 2years now.

OPT

Freedom,

There is less work in my opinion for the most part. I mean ya you have to water them more, but it soaks into the coco so much more smoothly then soil it takes no time at all. I can also attest to the rooting in coco coir. It's off the fucking charts, once they get a head of steam on them, them roots grow faster then Arnold on roids.

OPT

Ember1

Check eBay for things like testers. Just stick with a name brand like Hanna, for controllers- Pinpoint (American Marine), or Milwaukee. Only three I can recommend.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Hydro is more work than coco...no doubt. You may get slightly better results and quicker turn arounds with hydro...but the ease of use and safety issue of not having tons of water around make coco a superior alternative to hydro.

man..even my organic soil rawks with coco instead of peat or promix.
i use a hot soil with coco, perlite, compost, alfalfa, bone meal, a little blood meal and kelp ,meal.The coco really makes the mix light and fluffy

i get a slightly quicker growth in veg..which is important for a perpetual harvest.

Cheers dude! Yeah the simplicity of coco is so appealing, transplanted from little pot to big wicking pot and it's loving it! Obviously it won't all go smoothly but so far so good!

NP Strange!

Odd you should mention it, but don't be surprised if it really does all go smoothly. Mine have since my first grow. Sure I have questions, and small issues here and there. But they're mainly noob mistakes/concerns. I've been at this for two years now, I still consider myself a noob. But this current project has been flawless. Kinda boring actually since I've implemented an auto drip system. Hands off, and that's the way my plants like it.

BTW...nice quote. Haven't seen that in a while. Now I'm feeling all nostalgic lol.

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
Glad everyone switching to coco is loving it, cuz im about to dive in myself.

Thanks for more motivation :D

Ur not in coco? Fuck man, thought u were...what medium u in now Nicoli? J.C. went from soil to coco and can't get over the ease of use. Lots less guess work involved and less testing of run off bla bla bla bla bla BLA!
:laughing:
Sorry for invading ur thread Stalion....won't happen again.
:off2:

:tiphat:
I use a Hanna grow check that picked up from DH.com for 150$, love it...can't believe I grew so long without it. U won't be disappointed.

This one right here is easy as hell to calibrate and stays that way for at least a month....other high end ones are almost too much of a pain in the ass for us stoners.
:laughing:

Last edited:

TicalionStalion

Here's why i love coco

2010-11-14_19-01-57_429.jpg

2010-11-14_19-02-26_758.jpg

2010-11-14_19-02-26_758.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts