What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone having PH problems in Pro-Mix?

S

Syndicate

I was wondering if amongst the Pro-Mix users if they had noticed more PH related issues of late.I have used Pro-mix for years and found it to hold a pretty steady PH for the most part, but lately have had quite a few problems with multiple nute def, checked soil PH and sure enough it had fallen to 4.8, maybe they are adding less/lesser quality of lime these days :confused: or maybe it's just me who knows.I only mention this cause I have also noticed an increase of PH problems being posted about in the infirmary and quite often the poster says he is using Pro-Mix, just thought it was worth throwing out there.

I am in week 6 of 10 of flower, Dolomite would have been too slow acting IMO and I needed a quick fix so last night resorted to using 6ml of hydrated lime /gal water, the water was very high PH and maxed my meter out at 10.5 I can only hope it stabilized a bit in the soil.On the other hand the plants probably would only have gotten worse had I done nothing-Just hope I didn't do wrong and burn the hell outta them...lol.

B

Bubble Puppy

From talking to the dude who owns a garden center store yesterday.He saved me from buying uneeded lime ..

He said for soil when ph is low ..lime fixes it and brings it up

when ph is high ...aluminum sulfate brings it down .
I think thats right ,or maby the other way around ,,,either way those 2 products fix soil ph problems

Good info for dirt farmers......

S

Syndicate

Just checked the runoff tonight and it seems the solution did mellow out a bit in the soil, R.O. PH 6.0 going in-PH 6.0 coming out, it sure is a lot better than 4.8.

Anyone out there have any idea how long the hydrated lime might stay active for?

One things for sure I am going to add extra dolomite lime and maybe a little hydrated lime to the Pro-Mix from here on in, I don't want to end up in a situation like this again.

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
I've never heard of pH problems in straight Pro-Mix BX or HP. It would be news to me any pictures of these so called problems in the plant?

Lime reacts for 3 years.

Last edited:
S

Syndicate

Sirgrassalot, I wasn't able to get a pic of decent quality in time I will get one tonight.

I am aware of your no PH grow and do not wish to get into a pissing match about it, these "so called problems" do exist, I think we can both agree that a PH of 4.8 whether tested or not, is not beneficial to the plant.

Like I said I have been using Pro-mix for years and have not had any problems with it until now, maybe it's a bad batch or maybe the mix changed or perhaps the Pro-Mix in Ont. is different than the stuff out here in Lotus Land...I don't know, what I do know is my PH dropped like a rock.

The way I see it adding some extra lime in when I transplant is very cheap and easy to do and won't cause problems to do so, so for me it is cheap insurance against having this happen to my next go around.

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Well don't start one. I'd look elsewhere than the pro-mix for your problem. If you bought a bail that's been wet before sale that would effect its performance as would any expired product. Adding lime won't hurt you but as you know, to me it's totally unnecessary like even checking my pH in Pro-Mix. Every time I transplant using HP or BX two limes are being added automatically. Works for my girls every time. Are you not using BX or HP than all bets are off. Premier the manufacturer of PM brands has a wide selection of products & the perfect ones for our uses I've mentioned, I've not seen any pH issues in the infirmary on those two. I've been reading the forum for several years. Maybe identifying the product you're using would help.

Last edited:
S

Syndicate

Hi again sirgrassalot,

The soil is Pro-mix HP.No PH related issues in the infirm?funny I found a few in just the last few pages, only one of them was actually confirmed by testing runoff-but the others the consensus was PH.

Not sure if posting pics up of "the so called problems" would do much good in convincing you it was a PH related issue as mine don't look nearly as bad as some pics I have recently viewed.But then again I don't really need to convince anyone that it was a PH issue as I confirmed it was one-by testing the runoff.

If growing without testing your soil PH works for you then good, all the more power to you-I just think some people could benefit from the knowledge that they could be having PH problems...even in Pro-Mix.I know that watering with the hydrated lime has fixed my PH problem-for how long?....I don't know but at least in the 2 days since the treatment they have started growing again...just wish I had done it sooner instead of letting them stall out for 10 days.

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Syndicate said:
Hi again sirgrassalot,

The soil is Pro-mix HP.No PH related issues in the infirm?funny I found a few in just the last few pages, only one of them was actually confirmed by testing runoff-but the others the consensus was PH.

Not sure if posting pics up of "the so called problems" would do much good in convincing you it was a PH related issue as mine don't look nearly as bad as some pics I have recently viewed.But then again I don't really need to convince anyone that it was a PH issue as I confirmed it was one-by testing the runoff.

If growing without testing your soil PH works for you then good, all the more power to you-I just think some people could benefit from the knowledge that they could be having PH problems...even in Pro-Mix.I know that watering with the hydrated lime has fixed my PH problem-for how long?....I don't know but at least in the 2 days since the treatment they have started growing again...just wish I had done it sooner instead of letting them stall out for 10 days.
Send me the link, I'm into learning. No pHing works for many in PM I didn't invent the method of grow. Some people fight the pH in pro-mix, it drives them nuts. I thought you said you had no problems thus far & was complaining about a bad batch of PM or a company like Premier changing the recipe??hehehe

I can only give my experience & knowledge. Pictures will show a pH issue if you have one, you may have faulty equipment, who knows? You do seem on the defensive so I'll let you go as not to get you going as you mentioned you are afraid of a pissing match & since you don't know me I can only conclude you don't trust yourself starting one.

Do send me a link or two on anyone with a problem using straight PM BX or HP & having a pH issue. I let you know if I agree with the diagnose or if there's other issues that contributed, like tainted water etc.

boolmag

My ph has also dropped below 5, although the Pro-mix I have is not bx or hp, it's an orange bag "for potting & seeding", which is all you can get over here...I didn't even know there was all these different kinds of Pro-mix...Looking at the different products on their website it seems there's actually quite a difference with the "professional" line over the rest...good to know :nono:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
boolmag said:
My ph has also dropped below 5, although the Pro-mix I have is not bx or hp, it's an orange bag "for potting & seeding", which is all you can get over here...I didn't even know there was all these different kinds of Pro-mix...Looking at the different products on their website it seems there's actually quite a difference with the "professional" line over the rest...good to know :nono:

Can you get the Sunshine triple mixes #1 - 4 ~ they work the same as BX or HP.

S

Syndicate

*Edit I removed Sirassalots pics. 'cause quite honestly I find them embarassing to have in my gallery, anyone interested in looking at them should check out his thread.

sirgrassalot said:
Send me the link, I'm into learning.

I highly doubt that, given your attitude but here's one for starters, theres lots more...

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=100680

sirgrassalot said:
I've not seen any pH issues in the infirmary on those two. I've been reading the forum for several years.

Look harder.

sirgrassalot said:
I thought you said you had no problems thus far & was complaining about a bad batch of PM or a company like Premier changing the recipe??hehehe

I believe I did say that I had no problems with Pro-Mix until now, not quite sure from the text that you quoted as to what might make you think I had changed my position on this-perhaps comprehension is not your strong point? :confused: hehehe.

sirgrassalot said:
I'd look elsewhere than the pro-mix for your problem. If you bought a bail that's been wet before sale that would effect its performance as would any expired product. Adding lime won't hurt you but as you know, to me it's totally unnecessary like even checking my pH in Pro-Mix. Every time I transplant using HP or BX two limes are being added automatically. Works for my girls every time. Are you not using BX or HP than all bets are off. Premier the manufacturer of PM brands has a wide selection of products & the perfect ones for our uses I've mentioned

You sure you aren't a Pro-Mix rep? 'Cause you sure come off sounding like one.

sirgrassalot said:
You do seem on the defensive so I'll let you go as not to get you going as you mentioned you are afraid of a pissing match & since you don't know me I can only conclude you don't trust yourself starting one.

Defensive? not at all.

Let me go?Please.

Afraid of a pissing match? :confused: No I said that I did not wish to get into one, mainly because I was trying to be polite-but you seem determined to go down this road.

sirgrassalot said:
I can only give my experience & knowledge. Pictures will show a pH issue if you have one

Here are some pictures from your own No PH Grow Thread.For starters, there are lots more...

sirgrassalot said:
Works for my girls every time.

I seriously hope you don't mean these girls...

Thing I don't understand is all the people that come onto the thread congratulating you on how good the plants look, either they are just humouring you or they just "know" better than to get YOU going.

Seriously man check your runoff, I could easily see you doubling your yield by getting those plants to look a bit heathier.

Like I said earlier my plants don't look quite as bad as some pics I had recently viewed.

For reference purposes AK-47 week 5....

and week 7...

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
ohh you did want a pissing match hero LoL You're the one with the problem & whining you got a bad bail. Gawd knows what I've done here or there but has nothing to do with pHing pro-mix.hehehe

where are the links? that one you have at a glance is burnt to shit.

The second as well. NOT a pH issue concerning Pro-Mix.

Last edited:
S

Syndicate

sirgrassalot said:
ohh you did want a pissing match hero LoL

You are the one who kept pushing for it,I WAS trying to be polite.

sirgrassalot said:
Gawd knows what I've done here or there but has nothing to do with pHing pro-mix.hehehe

I think that IS obvious.

sirgrassalot said:
where are the links?

Look harder top of the reply...hero...

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
speak English what is it you're trying to show here? That link is not from a Pro-Mix pH issue. I have nothing to hide on my grow, I said it up front I'm a free pour guy. So you're not belittling me as you may think & I will take you up on the pro-mix challenge. Yes the same one you've had so much success with up till now that you think a conspiracy is in the making. That's very humorous I might add.

EDIT:Gawd knows what I've done here or there but has nothing to do with pHing pro-mix.hehehe Blind drunk at that moment couldn't track random pictures from my thread down.
Today nice & sober, those pics of mine are from a couple of great harvests. Look at the buds in the back, yummy. I remember having to take her one bud at a time. The buds looked & smoked fantastic too. I don't like the green harvest crowd, be careful with their advice. Dic, so you haven't posted any pH issues pictures from my grow? I have tons of photos to choose from. No run out of lime pics either. LoL

What really counts here is whats in my jar, not what's in yours Dic. I smoke all day & night, yes night too. I'll wake up, get high & crash again. All day everyday for the last 15 years, before that I was just a heavy toker. My garden has kept me in my own smoke for the last 6+ years without a complaint. My GF smokes with me, normally. The last 2+ years I've been growing the JF X NL X S & I've not become tired of it. I still get blasted from it. In the last year all I have growing is One plant, she was the easiest to clone from the rest, I suppose that's what kept her alive in my grow. Now that I'm sieving & doing ISO washes it's only gotten better. Yet you're the one whining about my pics. hehehe

My mentor ashamed, I doubt it. He's only mentored me on triple mixes (how you doing finding peeps with your pH issue?) I share that info with the members here, leeching no need to pH etc. I grew in soil for years before switching & mixing. Have I told you I don't measure anything ever & often lose track of start times. The perpetual has me pretty busy, plants going in & being harvested all the time. Never a failed harvest in either medium. I've never pH'd anything at anytime.

Dic, I'd look elsewhere than the PM for your issues. Looks like you have a challenge to show some pH issues in Pro-Mix BX or HP. Are you sure you're up for that? English I learn it from a book. I bet you copied & pasted comprehension from my thread, you being one of my more frequent visitors. Where's the pH issues dic?

Last edited:
S

Syndicate

sirgrassalot said:
speak English what is it you're trying to show here?

:confused: Comprehension is not really your strong point is it?

sirgrassalot said:
That link is not from a Pro-Mix pH issue.

Really?The problem with these online forums is guys that have plants that look like this....

...constantly try to give others advice on how to grow.Your mentor would be ashamed.

Whining about your shitty looking plants?No.But I don't think that people like you that can't grow should give advice on how to grow.It's guys like you with your shitty skills, shittier attitude and down right shitty looking plants that give Canadians a bad rap.Now I am ashamed.

As for the "green" harvest pics I provided, you might have noticed that the last pic was at week 7, before the 2 weeks of flush, and I can assure you the smoke was excellant with a paper white ash.But you have probably never taken a plant past 7 so I can sorta see how you might think that was a harvest pic.

Cut and paste comprehension?from your thread?lol -you probably had to g**gle what it meant.

Your constant referral to the English skills of others in this and many other threads, is telling.I'd wager you've had your own problems with the English language-perhaps you should look at an ESL course.

sirgrassalot said:
I will take you up on the pro-mix challenge.

What challenge is this?perhaps it's something your other personality came up with?

So let me get this straight you grow with fish emulsion and urine with some dog hair thrown in right?Man your room must smell awesome.Glad I got the secret recipe from you I can't wait to grow plants that look like this:

Furtermore for YOU to quote from Stitches guide to sick plants THAT is humorous especially given how much you respected her, and what she thought of you...

mynamestitch said:
so sirgrassalot has no fucking clue wtf he is talking about; dude needs to go learn how to grow in a cannabis college and be shown in person who to fix shit.

mynamestitch said:
but he goes around telling people stuff trying to make it look like he knows, but all he knows is shit.HE makes more than educated guesses, he makes ones that are always wrong.

I tend to agree with that part about shit, say... you don't use that in your grow too do you?

mynamestitch said:
I would not go by his advice, you can do some search and find out how many people dislike him do to him going around thinking he knows it all and giving people piss poor advice.

It really is just like you to come back in here and edit in a bunch of stuff when you think no one is looking to make yourself feel important, that is your modus operandis afterall as proven in your post history, nothing will change the fact you are an insignificant person, growing insignificant plants in a insignificant manner.

Look Sirassalot I'll make you a deal, hows about you stay out of my thread....and I'll stay outta yours...fair?

Last edited:

maryj315

Well putting all that aside i thought pro mix would fall out ph wise midway through flowering that is why you add extra lime at least that is what i read.

moonymonkey

was wandering if it was a all organic grow?...soil chemistry 101...it depends on wat u feed it,an how its done,type of water an its starting ph,size of pots,how much drainage u use and how its arranged...can def. afect ph...no question..u can run a higher ph in a larger volume of soil....same with hydro...good point on the orange bag,a heads up...ph can b done many ways,wat u want though is stable ph..can alsodepend on thesoil mix wat u can do with it. peace moon/xxxxx

moonymonkey

one more comment on ph,i seen exsperiments were ph was3.8-4.5,plants were growin ,because of they only need to have a few certain elements...an im stilll lookin for that dam article from sins., tips...8-10 yrs,old...ibelieve its here,wen i find ull post,no holes barred.....mmmoon/raven on a yatch,on the high sea.s///

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Syndicate said:
Look Sirassalot I'll make you a deal, hows about you stay out of my thread....and I'll stay outta yours...fair?

Hmm nope, sorry dic I'm not afraid & with you posting my pictures I see you don't know what a pH issue is, now you're back tracking & don't want to continue the pissing match you've started. hmmm bravo.

You're to have us believe the link you gave us is a "run out of lime in PM pH issue" where in all the harvests in my grow do you see anything like the plants in your link? You would think there would be similar looking issues like the over/underfed heat stressed buds shown in the link but you don't see anything like that, do you? I also have reused PM grows pictured, I've never had the ran out of lime look, LoL

Ph Problems

One of the first signs of having a slight ph problem is, your plant having part of the leaves kind of twisty, spotty with brown, yellowish, red spots within each other.
Sometimes they don’t have to have all the colors, they could just be spots that have yellowish brown, or just reddish brown and can happen anywhere on the plant. Mainly starts on big fan leaves then goes to little leaves.

My buds usually turn out great, I get all the goodies like mites over/under watered fed etc, but there's no pH issues in my thread. I believe in the plants should look like crap at the end. It's the way I was taught also what I've read. Only on IC have I seen green harvests but if they taste as good as mine I wouldn't care, it's all about successful harvesting & I've never had one fail yet. I don't like green harvests, they do make for pretty pictures but does nothing for the final product which is a dead plant.

Now there's NO pH issues in my plants. You're like the last one that got personal & slid off topic with some random pics from my grow. I'm not telling you how to grow, I'm disputing any pH issues. So show me some, I'm still waiting. You've said there's more. Lets compare that run out of lime look. hehehe

I'm all about learning & I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. I'm betting otherwise though. Up to now you've shown us nothing close to a pH issue anywhere in BX or HP. Surely there's at least one more grow you can show us with the run out of lime look?

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
maryj315 said:
Well putting all that aside i thought pro mix would fall out ph wise midway through flowering that is why you add extra lime at least that is what i read.

I've never had it happen, my mentor has never mentioned it. He's a designated medical grower for peeps in Ontario/CA. 16+ weeks using the same PM, do you see that in my grow anywhere? My plants are transplanted entering bloom so they get fresh lime for the 60 days needed +-

Adding lime is not a problem, call it insurance. I've always lived on the edge & haven't fallen yet. It's not necessary for me to grow my plants. I have a bag of lime somewhere but I've never opened it.