What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plants got away from me and are too tall

If I flower them now, they'll be on the ceiling. Can I "Top" them a few nodes down without probs or can you just take the apical meristem?

Big-Narstie

What strain isit? Isit a stretchy type? If yes you can give em a flat top no problems. Or yes you can top then throw into flower.

Watch out for male flowers if it's a type thats known to grow balls late flower.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Don't cut the top off!
Decide what you want the height of the plant to be now, (before it grows any more)
Gently squeeze the stem until it crushes flat. Let the top bend all the way over..Then, on the bent over part, crush stem again and bend the top back up..(think of a shape like the letter "N")
Use some masking tape or string and somewhat loosely tape it so the top is back in vertical position.

The crushed stem will heal and you will still get the main cola growth, but at a lower overall height...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just like Bud Green mentions, low stress train by string/tape. Just gently bend tops/branches...you don't want them "snapping" after all your hard work.

Good luck.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
YEP- make sure you pinch/crush about an inch or so along the stem and that baby will lay back over but if you don't gently tie ( i use 1" nylon tape) the top down it wil be right back up in a day or so

If you supercrop the tallet branches it will redirect auxins to lower branches, that will stop them from growing during their growth spurt during flower. If it heals quick and goes to grow taller again, supercrop them again. You can least try that before going nuclear and cutting them right off.

amanda88

Take top most clones, grow them out in your diy bubble cloner, send the mom to bud ...easy

RonSmooth

Veteran
You can cut the top off the plant and the secondary branches will grow out. The apical meristem is the main top, you can cut a few nodes off. Use the top as a cut and try to root it.

Tying down the main stem of a too-tall plant during flowering is a pain. Its going to stretch and you'll end up making the plant top heavy when you bend it. I would top it and tie the lower branches so they grow outward more-so than upward.

Plants are not stressed when topped. They have evolved to withstand losing branches to wind, predators, etc.

B

blue_tick

supper crop that thing the way Jamie is saying. those girls can take it and it will reward you in the end