What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This will be my set up — Change my mind.

Sans.Lacunes

:wave: Here is what I plan on buying for my 4 plant grow. please let me know if you know better alternatives, as a grow journal will follow once I am set up.

(Note that I am in Canada so prices are in canadian $$$)

Light:

Vivosun 600w aircooled hps/mh = 239$

Tent:

Vivosun 48"×48×80" = 120$

Medium & Nutrients:

Stepwell Super Soil + Em1 = ~ 100$?

Fan & Filter:

Vivosun 6" 440 cfm = 189$

Genetics:

Csi humboldt/dungeon vault genetics/exotic genetics/ Oni seeds. I want to grow mostly indica plants, not only because of height but also because of the effect/terpene profile.

~200$ max for seeds (I know this is alot, and I'd love to hear about other breeders!)

My budget cap is 1000$, tho I would like to get what I need with 700$.

I'd love to hear feedback on what I should/shouldn't use, and I would also love to talk about genetics, and how some will be harder/easier to work with for a beginner. :tiphat:

Sans.Lacunes

Consider temperature and humidity control. Can be a challenge. Highly dependent on the temp/humidity of the intake air.

Thank you, I completely forgot to put this in the list.

I am lookimg at a Inkbird IHC-200 10A 100V ~240V for both humidity and temperature control
(Which i can use for other food related projects in the future)

SuperBadGrower

If you want to do multiple runs in your tent, throughout seasons, a single modern LED will be more efficient (in terms of lights per watt), and in the long run cheaper than HPS due to you replacing a bulb every 6-X months instead of running the same led for much longer. It will save Watts on cooling and extraction. Changing fixtures or bulbs sucks. All that shit is a hassle when a 3k led will veg and flower beautifully. HID in summer sucks. I see the topic title and as a HID (and LED) user I want throw in something crude. I will contend that if you are doing a home grow where the option is either One HID or LED, you must be unknowing to choose HPS in 2019. Essays have been written on this so I won't reinvent the wheel, but if you search for "μmol/j" (micromole per joule) that should get you started in the right direction.

Those are just some thoughts of mine when I screw in a new bulb and I look at my led which is still doing the same thing it has for almost 2 years. Obviously HPS and MH/CMH are great, they're tried and true and you will have success with it. I use the technology happily, but in 2020 I will switch to Led only.

Sans.Lacunes

If you want to do multiple runs in your tent, throughout seasons, a single modern LED will be more efficient (in terms of lights per watt), and in the long run cheaper than HPS due to you replacing a bulb every 6-X months instead of running the same led for much longer. It will save Watts on cooling and extraction. Changing fixtures or bulbs sucks. All that shit is a hassle when a 3k led will veg and flower beautifully. HID in summer sucks. I see the topic title and as a HID (and LED) user I want throw in something crude. I will contend that if you are doing a home grow where the option is either One HID or LED, you must be unknowing to choose HPS in 2019. Essays have been written on this so I won't reinvent the wheel, but if you search for "μmol/j" (micromole per joule) that should get you started in the right direction.

Those are just some thoughts of mine when I screw in a new bulb and I look at my led which is still doing the same thing it has for almost 2 years. Obviously HPS and MH/CMH are great, they're tried and true and you will have success with it. I use the technology happily, but in 2020 I will switch to Led only.

Thank you for your input!

And yes after some reading, I totally agree with you. I am intrested in buying a bestva 2000w, tho i'd rather go the quantum board way. (I need to do some more research to understand what id really need). My main concern with led is pricing, but as you mentioned, the costs of bulbs and electricity of an hps in the long run makes me think led will be the way to go.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Unless you want to blow your whole budget stick with the 600. High quality LED is expensive and the cheaper stuff is crap.

600 is great for a 4x4, you should easily harvest a pound depending on strain.

Research your strain choice well.

I'll check out your journal once you get going!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Consider a 630w CMH for around the same cost. You'll get much better performance.

Not sure about that super soil you have posted, but there are many links here that allow you to make your own water only soils, if you can get the organic amendments. It's always cheaper than paying retail markup for a "product" that is more than likely based on something that was originally posted for free here anyway.

Just remember indica genetics will take more veg time to get a proper yield and you'll need more airflow to keep the flowers from getting any PM or bud rot, etc.

dank.Frank

SuperBadGrower

Indeed, the bestva is probably the worst possible choice of led. It's true that most/all of the major name brands that sell quality leds are very pricy.

Shane from Migro gives some good information, maybe as a starting point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgYhIkzgvtw
Purple is often crap, pink is used by some quality led makers (includes white lights), full spectrum (white in 3k-4k) works great...

On alibaba you can get some great lights using COB and strip leds. For $450-500 you could have 600w of led that will last 2 years easily, maybe needing to replace some $12 fans. If you factor in the 3 bulbs and all the other shit HPS needs, and the torment of summer (for me personally, because I'm power limited), it's an easy choice for me. But yeah, name brand lights like HLG, Chilled, or Fluence, whatever, I would probably not want to pay that much. In order to get something good from china it helps to have a little bit of knowledge about the leds/lighting in general.

Ah.... we all want to be sure that our plants do well even if it's our first time growing. All the research takes time and without experience it's very hard to tell the forest from the trees. There is so much to learn. Maybe I opened a can of worms, because a HPS or CMH is obviously a great light that will grow great trees. But I stand by what I say ;) and would practice as I preach

Sans.Lacunes

Unless you want to blow your whole budget stick with the 600. High quality LED is expensive and the cheaper stuff is crap.

600 is great for a 4x4, you should easily harvest a pound depending on strain.

Research your strain choice well.

I'll check out your journal once you get going!

I will update this thread to let you know as soon as I get my journal going! :)

Sans.Lacunes

Consider a 630w CMH for around the same cost. You'll get much better performance.

Not sure about that super soil you have posted, but there are many links here that allow you to make your own water only soils, if you can get the organic amendments. It's always cheaper than paying retail markup for a "product" that is more than likely based on something that was originally posted for free here anyway.

Just remember indica genetics will take more veg time to get a proper yield and you'll need more airflow to keep the flowers from getting any PM or bud rot, etc.

dank.Frank

Thank you for your tips!

I will look into the 630w cmh forsure. The Stepwell super soil comes from a very reputable source where I'm from, you can search #stepwellsupersoil on instagram for examples of beautiful plants. They gave me a quote of 60$ on a bale of soil, which is less than what id have to spend for all the material needed for a batch of my own. (Though I know i'd have enough for many mixes, it is just more convenient for me to buy a premade one for now).As for their EM1: "EM1 is a liquid with preserved lactobacilius microbes, which helps break down amendments in the soil faster for harder feeding plants. This product is a type of Korean natural farming technique."

I would like to try some lst methods on my plants, nothing too crazy but enough to help with the issues you mentioned, and possibly to increase yield.

Jammal

pick up 4 of the new TS 1000 from mars hydro.

switch to hydro,,,get 4--5 gallon dwc buckets

get the basic GH maxi gro,bllom,Koolbloom dry mix nutes..

Serious White Russian seeds

Sensi Shiva Skunk seeds

Sans.Lacunes

Indeed, the bestva is probably the worst possible choice of led. It's true that most/all of the major name brands that sell quality leds are very pricy.

Shane from Migro gives some good information, maybe as a starting point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgYhIkzgvtw
Purple is often crap, pink is used by some quality led makers (includes white lights), full spectrum (white in 3k-4k) works great...

On alibaba you can get some great lights using COB and strip leds. For $450-500 you could have 600w of led that will last 2 years easily, maybe needing to replace some $12 fans. If you factor in the 3 bulbs and all the other shit HPS needs, and the torment of summer (for me personally, because I'm power limited), it's an easy choice for me. But yeah, name brand lights like HLG, Chilled, or Fluence, whatever, I would probably not want to pay that much. In order to get something good from china it helps to have a little bit of knowledge about the leds/lighting in general.

Ah.... we all want to be sure that our plants do well even if it's our first time growing. All the research takes time and without experience it's very hard to tell the forest from the trees. There is so much to learn. Maybe I opened a can of worms, because a HPS or CMH is obviously a great light that will grow great trees. But I stand by what I say ;) and would practice as I preach

I am very intrested in the diy LED road... but I need to do my homework in order to fully understand what I need! I do not want to jump into this too quickly, which is why I like to have a discussion about the pros and cons of things here. One thing I have my mind set on is growing organicaly, but then when I start to think about lightning I feel like only experience can truly teach me. :watchplant:

Thank you for tuning in, I'm happily surprised at how great people are around here!

Jammal

pick up 4 of the new TS 1000 from mars hydro.,,,

yeah, new quantum board looks great,4 should do amazing in a 4x4 tent over 4 5 gallon DWC,,,sick

switch to hydro,,,get 4--5 gallon dwc buckets,,,,

indoors = hydro / outdoors = organics ,, just accept it, you'll be glad you did

get the basic GH maxi gro,bllom,Koolbloom dry mix nutes....great easy cheap nutes for pro or beginner

Serious White Russian seeds

Sensi Shiva Skunk seeds

proven time tested from seed strains with exceptional quality and yield

Sans.Lacunes

Little update!

I'm starting to watch Growmau5's videos on diy LED. I should become more fluent with led terms once I'm done.

SuperBadGrower

I am very intrested in the diy LED road... but I need to do my homework in order to fully understand what I need! I do not want to jump into this too quickly, which is why I like to have a discussion about the pros and cons of things here.

Great mindset man. I've tried various types of lights and purple can sure grow nice plants. I find myself totally agreeing with koondense here, I couldn't say it better and I'm posting it here because I just think it's good simple information and well said:
(...) It's been at least three good years since the cob revolution and two years since the QB evolution and it goes the same way... certain white leds are the best photon production tech for the electric input. Period.
These certain models are cree cxb cobs, bridgelux vero cobs, citizen cobs, samsung smd... and that's pretty much it. If a fixture has these parts, it will almost certainly make much more and better spectrum light than any hps light.
If a fixture has other led parts, it will most certainly be in the same or similar league as a regular hps, from the light output per watt point of view.

Anything else is mostly unrelated business people nonsense talk to make you believe one product is much better than any other brand/product.

Basics comes first, remember that.

Cheers

So if a light has those parts you're getting in the right ballpark. Researching those specific leds a bit will bring you up to date on the currently good technology. Anything else might work, but these mentioned leds are the closest to "tried & true" that you get with HPS. Armed with this knowledge you could make an even more educated decision between HID and LED. (+1 for CMH in the case of hid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1O3OD-dI20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92g1SFFDKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9NbN4ZFqZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wIvXm81uo

I'm not affiliated with any of these channels or their products. These are lengthy but interesting. Very valuable information.