What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crazy heat beating LED scheme.

pinkus

Veteran
So I have jumped from 2 300 watt LEDs in a tent to 3. That last lamp really puts the temperature close to what I consider too hot to grow quality weed indoors, 80F or so. (It's also only February)

Here is my crazy idea: throughout the day period only 2 lights will be on at any given time (actually 1 hour would have all 3 lit in the current plan). I think that this will work due to the extreme PAR values. Currently, I have the scheme drawn up with 7 hours direct light and 4 indirect during an 11 hour on period.

Let the naysaying begin!
:shooty:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Couldn you increase air flow into/out of the tent to keep temperatures at the same level using 3 lamps?

pinkus

Veteran
Couldn you increase air flow into/out of the tent to keep temperatures at the same level using 3 lamps?

I don't think so with the layout of the house. As it is there is hotter, more humid air just outside the tent. The "veg room" is another tent in the same small room.

This is more about the experiment than trying to avoid the experiment. Thanks for the input and idea though. It is appreciated. :bandit:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't think so with the layout of the house. As it is there is hotter, more humid air just outside the tent. The "veg room" is another tent in the same small room.

This is more about the experiment than trying to avoid the experiment. Thanks for the input and idea though. It is appreciated. :bandit
Throw ideas out there, see what sticks :D You should be able to figure out something with staggered lighting no problem! It won't be as good as all 3 lights on all the time, but it's better than just 2 lights right?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Cannabis prefers closer to 84F ambient room temperature under LED its one of the main benefits reducing AC load.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe when the light is on allow the main room to cool off with an open window or something.
I noticed you have 2 grow tents in the same room. Maybe run one at a time. So one if off while
the other is on. This will cut down on your heat spike for sure.

Hogni

Different light circles promise lower temps. Otherwise what's about dimming?
But as said plants under LED better can stand the heat. So 80 degrees sound reasonable.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
80f sounds alright to me, under any lighting. I like 77 minimum, or I get metal problems. With leds, even hotter, for the same reason. Water leaving the leaves, drives the fluid movement within the plant that's needed.

I tried fans instead of extra heat, but they didn't like that. Almost like the air movement triggered a closing of the stomata. I gave it no more thought, as 28c made them happy. Which made me happy.

Doesn't a 300w fixture cost more than a light mover? Them things are old news now, and fetch peanuts. I have two just in my way.

A mover might offer a greater gain. If current positioning means light reflects off the walls before hitting the plant, as that refection costs you. A lower light offers a gain by reducing the amount of light that suffers from reflection losses. These losses could easily be 25% of the reflected light. The mover offers further gains through penetration. The constant movement gives more of the plant direct light exposure. Led's are seen as lacking in the penetration department. The lights could be kept really quite low. Movers with leds is something I havn't seen done. It would be interesting to watch.

I see no problem with swapping lights throughout the day. I do it on the hottest days of the year. Not automated as you suggest, but there is surely no problem with moving the sun around.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
There is such a thing as TOO MUCH LIGHT. Too much light will stunt your crop. Speaking from experience. There's too much heat, but there's also too much light.

snel

wheres your filter? If its not at the top of the room, moving it there can make a big difference to overall temps.

pinkus

Veteran
wheres your filter? If its not at the top of the room, moving it there can make a big difference to overall temps.

Huge can fan mounted on top. I believe that I have the basics of hot air management well considered.

BTW, it is working great. Not sure how far into summer I will want to do this.

G

GatorGumbo

I've never heard of raising ambient temps under LED. I'm new to growing indoors, but my plants really hate 80+ temps. Maybe it's a random change from a constant 75 that does it, but it's consistent through the four or five strains I've run so far. I don't add CO2, either.