What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ridding of Algae on Top

Redbuddz

High All

Does anyone know of an organic method for ridding and preventing algae from growing on the surface of soil. I'm mostly dealing with this issue with the planting of seeds. Soil needs to be kept wet and it leads to the growth of the green slime.... I'm looking for an organic fix here because that's how I grow the food I eat

Thanks Ya'll

Redbuddz

OldPhart

It is really a simple recipe, light + water = algae. If you want to stop it, you have to remove one of the two ingredients. Personally I have never found algae to be an issue, just an annoyance. Maybe you could put something on top of the soil to block the light, or maybe some material that would remain dry, maybe glass beads or something that would dry quickly.

Redbuddz

yes, quite the annoyance and usually leads to fungus gnats. I appreciate your input but don't see your ideas as being the remedy. I have seeds that will be sprouting and putting any type of material on top would not be good for them.

O

Orrie

a pinch of cinnamon sprinkled on top will certainly knock it down but it is only a band aid and not a remedy.

to do it right you need to change your soil, provide more ventilation and resist the temptation to over water.

Also, soaking your seeds prior to planting will help as you won’t need to keep the soil as wet to achieve germination.

good luck!

-Orrie

water less.

Algae is essentially a plant, anything you put on your soil that kills the algae would likely do more harm to your plant than the algae is even capable of doing. A little bit isn't going to hurt the plant any but keeping your medium wet enough it's growing algae isn't good for the roots.

troutman

Seed Whore
Cover everything with a light proof material like thick black/white grow plastic. :tiphat:

No light = dead algae.

Redbuddz

Cover everything with a light proof material like thick black/white grow plastic.

Trout how do I do this? how will the seedlings come thru this material????

troutman

Seed Whore
Cover everything with a light proof material like thick black/white grow plastic.

Trout how do I do this? how will the seedlings come thru this material????

Get a sheet of that plastic and put pieces of it covering the pots with a a hole big enough for the plants to pass thru.

O

Orrie

water less.

Algae is essentially a plant, anything you put on your soil that kills the algae would likely do more harm to your plant than the algae is even capable of doing. A little bit isn't going to hurt the plant any but keeping your medium wet enough it's growing algae isn't good for the roots.

In bold is Not true.

My uncle grew orchids. He preferred using cinnamon over other products like Physan to control fungal growth

It also prevents damping off.

here's some links if interested-

https://www.google.com/search?q=+or...utf-8#q=cinnamon+fungicide+damping+off+orchid