What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor Aquaponics mini farm

Dion

picture.php
picture.php

M.R.GT

Veteran
Aquaponics is SUPER COOL.

Ya running a power head?? Love to see your set up. Lots of cats used to run Aqua and Bio buckets using Urea and beneficial bacteria.

Tells us more. Im subed!!!

Peace
GT

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
cool .. I once had a big aquaponic setup in a greenhouse in the overgrow days ..lots of fun ..easiest to grow leafy stuff ,,flowering stuff/fruiting stuff is harder.....enjoy yeehaw,,back then I was DAVESNOTHERE..i even had frogs..they would be croaking and getting all froggy in mid winter due to heated water and lighting ... I used small fish called hornpout basically a small catfish..gotten for free with a net at the right time as babies to startup

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I ended up needing to add nutrients, so I made tea bags to steep organic stuff with ..paint strainer bags from hardware store and wine filter bags too...yeehaw..kelp,castings, ,compost ,ect

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Nice set up!

I did a large lettuce grow with a raft system and tilapia. Barley pellets do wonders for keeping the water clean. Lava rock bio filters and bookoo moving water was the key. Harvest plenty of lettuce and fish on the cheap!

Love it! Thanks for posting your setup!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very cool, dion, care to describe your biofilter, how u set it up.

in the past I've seen a 5 gallon bucket in between the fish and the plants. the 5 gallon bucket was filled with lava rock, and the water flowed from fishtank to biofilter (bucket full of lava rock), filled the bucket, then went into the plants and ultimately back to the fish.

TheMole

Too bad you fish seem to be tucked away, or are they shy?
Aquaponics is certainly wonderfull to play with and nice to see your setup.

Does it work the way you want it to? Any changes or plans in mind?