What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CRAMPS!

Batboy

I am posting on behalf of my wife who is not a huge fan of MJ. She isn't against weed per se, but she rarely uses it herself (nor does she drink or do anything else -- she doesn't like to feel 'altered'). She is also skeptical that weed is as great of a medicine as everyone says.

Unfortunately, my wife suffers horrible menstrual cramps and 'modern' medicine hasn't been able to help. No over-the-counter med has worked and she has had side-effects from the few things that have been prescribed for her. She especially doesn't like prescription pain meds as they make her very loopy; which she hates. She has pretty much resigned herself to popping some Motrin and taking baths. It is bad enough that when she was having a c-section for our last child (and the last one we will ever have), she asked the doc about an elective hysterectomy. Docs wouldn't even discuss it as an option.

She has tried smoking MJ to relieve the pain and while she acknowledges that she doesn't focus on the discomfort for awhile after she smokes, she doesn't really enjoy being high nor is it a realistic option for getting through the day as she would never smoke during the 12ish hours a day that our kids are awake.

From my limited experience with edibles, I don't think they are a good suggestion because of the long-lasting, sometimes unpredictably strong effects. In the past, after the initial giggles wear off, she has expressed to me her desire for "it to be over." I can just imagine the horror of her learning how long a good edibles trip can be.

Does anyone have any success using MJ, edibles, oils, topical lotions, etc. to relieve cramps? Or even something non-MJ? 5 days out of every month a black cloud hangs over our house and there is much fear and discontent. Even the dogs know to stay in the shadows. PMS I can handle; this is real pain.

Thanks

nobull56

ICMag Donor
Queen Elizabeth of England found cannabis for cramps her preferred remedy. As for eating, my father takes Kief (un-pressed hash) in small doses to find the correct dosage for that plant type. She might want to try small amounts of hash or Kief (1/8 gr.) wait 1 to 2 hours for effect. Increase amount to find amount that works without the unwanted side effects. Dad likes this form to avoid the taste. Some folks use tinctures & rub them on the abdomen to avoid the high feeling.
Good luck

ROJO145

Veteran
I like to smoke a nice joint and rub the old ladys belly when she got cramps,well,and when I got an old lady!:smoker:

hashit

My wife also gets horrible cramps...but a heavy indica usually relieves her...then again we do not have kids and she can injest cannabis any time throughout the day. I recommend the strain "Powerkush" for cramps..it was given as a freebie a while back...it's from Dinafem. Let her go to 10 weeks and she will get a nice amber profile perfect for cramps.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Does anyone have any success using MJ, edibles, oils, topical lotions, etc. to relieve cramps? Or even something non-MJ? 5 days out of every month a black cloud hangs over our house and there is much fear and discontent. Even the dogs know to stay in the shadows. PMS I can handle; this is real pain.

Thanks

You need to take a hot lovin shower with her. Amazing how much that helps my wife. Digs all the cramping material out for her. :D Yep, 5 heavy days a month but a good hot shower or 3, with me, and she's Muuuuch better and things go relatively smoothly. :D

I highly suggest cannacaps of a good "Mellow" sativa for the toughest pain. (Unless she happens to get "Active" from Indicas.)

Stay Safe! :tree:

I'm right there with you Batboy. My wife is in the same situation, although I guess I lucked out cuz she actually likes cannabis.
2 surgeries later and 3 trips to the hospital....Still hasn't helped her. Only cannabis. Her OB doc prescribed Percoset...but that shit is nasty, addictive, and rips her stomach up.

So now it's down to Hydro-Soil's recommendation of "lovin" shower and some good cannabis.

Now onto my question...She digs sativas over indicas. So can anyone recommend a good sativa for cramps?

Her PMS is ok, it's about 2 days into the cycle and I find her doubled over on the bathroom floor in pain, crying, and pounding on the floor.

Not intending to hj your thread Batboy...thought results to this question might help you too as a good clean sativa isn't too altering (at least compared to an indica).

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Now onto my question...She digs sativas over indicas. So can anyone recommend a good sativa for cramps?

My wife doesn't recall any strains that were particularly better than any others, for cramps. I would recommend something that doesn't fog her out when she smokes a bit of it. :D The cannacaps will be diferent than smoking... with distinct similarities. :blowbubbles:

Stay Safe! :tree:

Cannaluv

A few drops under the tongue of a really good tincture should really help her. Edibles dont work for my pain. Flo and Sour kush are my choices for those few days along with the tincture

Rose56

She may want to try a vape the effects are less intense. You could also try making her edibles from trim and any boys you chop so the edibles would be super weak.

DRorganic

Veteran
check out kalimist its in the description about women cramps. its a sativa but it has a relaxing high as to speedy.

FWIW, I disagree that the vape is less intense. I, and others in our circle, find it MORE intense.

As for your wife's situation, I think she needs something that's indica for killing the pain, but isn't that potent. That's kind of a hard mix to find.

Maybe something with more CBD than THC. I know there are people that are breeding for that for this exact purpose: pain killing without being way too high.

To give you some perspective, I used to think that all of our pot was too narcotic when I first got together with my husband, we moved into more hybrids b/c all of our peeps felt the same. Most of what I got pre-husband was more sativa or hybrid.

Now, we're moving into finding some more sativa leaning strains right now b/c I and another housewife in our crew want something that will pep us up in the morning and go great with a cup of coffee.

You might share the following with your wife:

I don't know what I would do without pot when I have stomach problems.

I have severe allergies and sometimes I am pretty sure THEY are what causes me to have pretty severe stomach problems. I say this b/c weirdly enough, stomach problems are a major sign of allergies, and not just of food allergies. I have the most problems in the summer b/c I am severely allergic to tomatoes and that's what I've always chowed down on in the summer. I remember going on Phish tour back in the day and basically being afraid to eat anything from a restaurant or anything like that. I THOUGHT that I just had a sensitive stomach and needed to bring my own food. Too bad that always included some cherry or grape tomatoes as an easy-to-eat vegetable that holds up well in a cooler!

When I get like that, the only thing that works is to either sit on the shitter for about an hour or so (doesn't go well with my day job, I tell ya), or to smoke a bowl.

Pot is truly a God-given remedy for stomach upset.

I wonder if your wife could sneak off to the bathroom and have one hit and then see if it helps. If she had one hit at a time, she'd get more used to it, find her right dose, and probably not be too out of it to feel comfortable caring for the kids.

Additionally, think about growing something that will suit her better. Maybe your choice strains are just too "narcotic" for her, as my husband's previous grows were for me. Considering I was the biggest pot smoker anyone who knows me ever knew before he came along, it is a big thing for me to be knocked over by pot and say it is too "narcotic" for me . . . . .

Last edited:

Amber Trich

maybe cannabis extracted into oil, used topically?

marc emery did an experiment using it topically and he did not get high at all.
I think it would still relieve pain though, so it might be worth a try.

you could try canna-olive oil or something. that would be more absorbent than butter.

Ive heard something about the (unflowered) vegetative growth being good for topical pain relief but I dont know for sure which is better.

and also calcium is related to pain in general. plenty of calcium will make you more tolerant to pain!

Herborizer

Veteran
Tinctures and edibles for deep long lasting pain relief. Vaporizer for quick, short term relief. Both of these methods allow the patient to start with ultra low doses and work their way up to a comfortable plaçe. Take it slow.

ow, and Lavandar (Cannabis) is the best so far for pain relief that my wife and I have tried. It doesn't get into your head (almost zero). It very much gets into your body. Sometimes I can't even tell until I go to move, then I know. My wife suffers from chronic pain, this is the best so far. We have a special stash of it saved for those difficult times. Lavandar isn't easy to find. I have been hunting for a clone of it for a long while now.

Blaz3

Im not a girl..but I live with my gf,and I know her like the back of my hand lol..

Poor thing gets bad cramps ;{...and she also egts moody and quiet lol..not as hyper as usual lol..

so iv experimented with giving her sativa,hybrids,and ure indicas..the sativas helped her become in a good mood,but did nothing for cramps,pains,etc...the hybrids didnt really work too good at all..

but the indica is what she LOVES during that time of the month..it calms her down,makes her forget her problems,gets her nice and relaxed and she jsut takes a nap while watchin tv..and yeah the cramps go AWAY very fast..

so id say a potent,heavy indica..if anything itll make her ass fall asleep lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts