What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goats' Grows

starke

We too are interested in a higher quality product. Conservation is the main reason we initially chose ebb and flow and a reusable medium, eliminating the recurring expense and more importantly, eliminating the need to dispose of the used. This of course comes with a downside: rock cleaning. But I've developed a rather simple, however time consuming, process that works. We haven't purchased medium in years.

Care to share your method?

Goats

cleaned everything and reset last night. much longer delay than i would prefer because we just couldn't get cuts to root in the garage with the rh being so low. moved 5 cuts inside and 2 weeks later they were all shooting white, fuzzy roots from the plugs. i am going to continue cloning in the house in the winter.

3 hindu kush from clone and 1 memberberry from seed. lights are @310w.

picture.php

Dirt Bag

Care to share your method?

We use 5x5x7 square pots of 3/1 Growstone/Hydroton in ebb&flow trays.

We pull out the root ball and shake out what roots we can by swishing the rocks around in a 1 gallon square container. The centrifugal force wedges the small roots into the corners for easy, though time consuming removal. From there they go into a large tub of bleach water and sit out in the sun and stirred with a rake daily until no chlorine smell is detectable. Then rinsed repeatedly with tap water and finally soaked again in RO water @ 6.0pH and are ready for reuse.

Goats

Goat why only 4 at a time? Are you vegging and flowering all in the 1 tray?

i have a small little tent i use for starting seeds and vegging out clones a bit before they go into the big tent, but yes, we have to veg a bunch before flowering due to only flowering 4 at a time.

that decision was made by the home owner where the room is. i have no control over how many plants we can grow sadly.

if it were up to me i'd do a perpetual 16 plant flower in that area. it is what it is. i guess i am just happy to be able to grow somewhere, but it does suck to see the potential in the space and not make better use of it.

Goats

Off 4 what do you normally yield? How long is the typical veg?

it generally takes about 4-7 weeks to get to the point where i can flip with 4 plants. depends on strain and how big the plants are when they move into the big tent. this round i went straight from rooted clone to 2g pots, so i am guessing veg will take a bit longer as the cuts establish their roots more.

since moving to flood and drain i have only done two runs. the first i flowered 3 clones and 8 seeds. seed plants ended up going 1/8 female and yield was only ~14oz
second run was the one we just finished where we yielded just over a lb, but i had to toss a lot due to rot.

hopefully this run will provide a decent benchmark, but we shall see. i've never grown either of the plants in there, so i don't know what to expect. i would like to yield at least 1.25, but 1.5+ would be even nicer. for reference, i don't get above maybe ~525w on the lights. that is almost 33w/sq ft which is plenty for quantum boards.

I guess going from 16 to 4 is worth it to be legal, in his perspective.

the funny part though is that we generally have another 5-15 plants going at any given time in the small tent which is 5 feet from the big one. if police were to come, they don't differentiate between flower and veg, they just see 15 plants.

that being said, it's not a point we argue about or anything. i am happy to be able to grow. now if vancouver didn't have the second worst housing market on earth i could have my own home and grow as many plants as i wanted! until then, 4 at a time it is!

thanks for stopping in and contributing to the thread guys. :tiphat:

Goats

well, after some conversations with other growers and a few horror stories from people who've used totes as reservoirs before i decided to just pony up and get a real reservoir.

got a 40 gallon, up from 25.

here is the tent a week after the last pic. as you can see the memberberry has taken off. all of the new growth is nice and green. i topped that plant today.

the clones are growing more slowly as they establish their roots. you can tell that the middle clone had many more roots than the other two when it was potted and is growing more quickly as a result. hopefully the other two take off soon as well and they can all be topped and spread out.

my buddy harvested his lvtk#1 so i took the carcass back and am attempting to reveg it.

added a second flood to the timer today and bumped the lights up a few watts.

the plants are also getting a fulvic foliar a couple times/week alternating with ipm, which is just a bit of safer's soap. the thrips like to pop up around here, but are easily avoided by spraying once or twice each week in veg.

picture.php

Last edited:

Goats

i hope everyone had a good christmas.

here we are 10 days since the last update. the memberberry is growing quickly. i topped it 10 days ago and the new growth tips were under a cm high. today they were ~7-9 inches long. i topped it again and stripped it down a bit. hopefully the hindu cuts get going soon, because from what i saw when my buddy grew it, it doesn't stretch much at all.

picture.php

i'm really surprised how quickly the lvtk#1 is showing new reveg growth. it has been back under 18/6 for under 2 weeks and there is already new growth. hopefully things go well and i can take cuts soon. the last plant i revegged got almost to the point where i could take some cuts and then died within a couple days for reasons that i am still unsure of.

i would really like to grow it again and a couple of people have expressed interest in running it as well so i'd love to be able to share it out.

picture.php

picture.php

found a 3x3 flood table stand for a good price online recently, so we put that in today. it's really heavy duty and we gained a few inches in height so i'm really happy. we were using a DIY stand made from 2x4s. it was pretty sturdy, but i always had fears of it failing and i'd rather be safe than sorry.

Goats

getting close to sending these 4 into flower. maybe another week or so. everything is happy.

changed out the reservoir today and scrubbed down the table. gave everything a good top feeding/flush so they should be buildup-free for another couple weeks. used the submersible pump to top-water/flush, it made it so easy. i don't know why i hadn't been doing it that way all along. i can have them all flushed out in ~30 seconds.

took some cuts of the member berry as well. i am hopeful that plant produces something nice because it is a vigorous, strong plant.

the hindu kush is the opposite, it grows slowly. i already know that plant makes very good smoke though.

had just enough jacks to mix the reservoir up. i need to order more. also need to get some more veg+bloom with flower coming up pretty quick here. found a store to import the veg+bloom for me which saves me the import duties which is nice.

forgot to take a picture before i defoliated and trained the front left plant.
picture.php

after all 4 had been done.
picture.php

Goats

changed the lights today so they'll get their first 12 hours of darkness tonight.

they all got a good top feed/flush and another leaf stripping. i would have liked to give the hindu kush clones another week but the memberberry is taking over and has to be put into flower.

took a few more cuts off the hindus while stripping them as well as backups. most will probably be given to friends if they all root. rh is low again. partner may have to bring the propagator inside again. fingers crossed because there are 10 cuts from the memberberry in there as well.

picture.php

Goats

bonus pic

bro in law took a couple hindu cuts from me a few months back and is flowering them now. he sent me this pic yesterday. he says they don't drink much.

he described it as looking and smelling 'killer', but i already knew that. been smoking this cut for years already. i am still so grateful to the unknown grower who gifted her to me through a friend of a friend. all i did was tell my buddy to tell his guy that that hindu was some of the best smoke i've ever had in my life and that i always bought it when he got it in. he also told him i grew. the grower appreciated the compliment and gave him a cut to give to me.

flowering it for the first time myself. hopefully i can do it justice. it's such a great smoke. kush, armpits and pepper and it just coats your mouth. squishes really well too with nice yields. i have had more people mention how good it tastes when smoking with them than anything else i've ever bought or grown myself. my old lady's cousin smoked one joint with me and then asked for a QP straight away. he described it as 'some of that rainy day shit'. :biggrin:

picture.php