What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Fiddynut

yeah a small clone area dosent have to be anything elaborate
a simple florescent bulb and a humidity dome is really all you need
it dosent even have to be a tent, you could just throw some tarp over a small table and attach the light underneath

it sounds like you have a good selection of seed tho so you could go either way
there are pros and cons to growing from seed v clones
im just glad you tried taking cuts and now know you can do it!

that wookie looks beautiful!
nice structure and fat leaves
if this is average, you are doing quite well, my friend!

i am a big fan of novelty when it comes to weed
give me the fun colors and interesting flavors any day
just like with food, i think we appreciate the weed with our eyes
im also a big fan of flavor
if it was strictly about getting knock out stoned, we would all be smoke hash anyways
/that or eating brownies
but i enjoy smoking it and appreciate the differences we can find

thats good to hear you and rufus have been getting out lately
60' sounds great!
some days you can totally smell spring in the air
im not going to complain too much about the rain,we sure need it
im just sorry its causing so many problems across the state

thanks for the compliment btw, i notice you express yourself very well in writing too
have you taken any classes or do you write down your thoughts often
heck, maybe you jsut are having fun banging on the keyboard!
Good morning pop_rocks.
Your right the dome can go anywhere. My buddy has a single bulb florescent he just rests on top of the dome and it just sits in his spare bedroom on a table. It's more the space for the moms that I don't have right now. I'd be glad to add another tent down the road once I get some things figured out and grow some plants that don't herm on me. Since I'm looking for variety right now I just need to pop some packs of seeds and enjoy keeping it simple and learning more about how to get good things from the girls. I think that even if I had a couple good mothers I'd still want to run from seed every other cycle for the variety. I'd be keeping the moms for a long time and would need more space for that. I've seen some threads on how to keep mothers small but it would take me some time and space to learn. I may want to keep a couple of each so that if I make a mistake, say root pruning or something, that I could have a backup. I think another 2x4 tent would give me plenty of space for that. I'm glad I took cuts last time and now know the process and what to expect. It's something I'll get back to in due time.

I'm digging how the wookies are looking for sure. They seem quite happy. I'd say they are off to the best start that any of my photoperiod plants have been. The growth the last few days has been really aggressive. They are going to be fun to watch. No males yet but I keep my eyes open. Just have to be patient and let nature do it's thing.

You are right that we eat with out eyes first and it makes sense that we judge weed by color and other visual cues. Bag appeal is important. Shape and size of nugs make a difference too. Then there's the scent. When you get a strong whiff before even taking the bag out of your pocket you know your in for a treat. The real test is that first green hit. When that blend of familiar and new flavors hit you from a new strain it can be such a pleasure. I've been reading up on terpenoids and how they affect the buzz and the potency of cannabis. Very interesting that the flavors can enhance the high by helping open receptors in nerves. I've got some predispositions and love the skunky varieties but love a new flavors as well. I wonder if the terps make as much of a difference with edibles. I would bet they still make some difference but not as much as when you smoke or vape.

The nice weather is here but I'm coming down with a cold. I don't really feel that sick but my nose won't stop running. And to make it worse Rufus split a toe nail and it got infected. The vet had to take the whole nail off and now he is on antibiotics and has to have the "cone" on his head when not supervised so he won't lick and chew it. I think he has to take it easy for a few days so we won't to get to do a lot of walking. Poor buddy. I had a nice long run of not getting sick this winter when all my coworkers and friends and family were getting sick but I guess it's just my time. Not going to let it slow me down much though.

Actually writing has always been a week point of mine. Bad handwriting and spelling my whole life. And I'm super slow at typing on a keyboard. Strange I've always been an above average reeder but way below average speller. You'd think they would be more related to each other. This is the first forum I've been on so I haven't done much writing since collage 20 years ago. I have a dry and sometimes sarcastic sense of humor and that is hard to convey in writing. You just seem to have a way of putting things so that both the literal and figurative meaning comes across.

I hope the rain clears and you get some of that nice SoCal weather back. Spring has sprung and I'm ready. Have a great weekend...Fiddy.

Mornin gents.

@fiddy - sorry to hear about the cold. Bunch of peeps that I was out in Vegas with actually came down with the flu - 90% of the crew did. I escaped it - but, I was the only one to have gotten a flu shot. Not saying that prevented it, but damn, only 1 to have the shot and only 1 of the 10 of us not to get the flu. Even heard that a few of the school districts closed out in Vegas because so many kids out sick.

As for puttin on the lbs - good eatin will do that ya. I've been battling the bulge for years. About 15 years ago I got on the atkins / low carb diet, and went from 250 down to 180. Most expensive diet i was ever on, as i had to buy new clothes as nothing fit me. As life would have it, I got back to 250 right before the accident, then went down to 180 again. Funny, when your jaw is wired shut and you can't eat anything other than yogurt, damn, those lbs come off quickly. Anyway, this last fall I went to the doc for the annual checkup ( I HATE getting stinky pinky to check on the prostrate - ugg), anyway, I was up - this time to 280. Holy crapola. Anyway, I went back on Low Carb - i guess its called Keto now. I'm down to 240 eatin meat, meat, and more meat. Did i say I'm eating a ton of bacon???? Anyway, besides exercise, following the Keto diet is just amazing. The lbs just melt off.

@pop - Just like you, I absolutely love the novelty of good weed. My absolute favorite, in terms of flavor, was a cotton candy (or kotton kandy, depending on who you ask). I'll be damned, but it was the sweetest smoke I've ever tasted. It wasn't the best high (too psycho for me), but taste wise, just wow. It put to shame everything i had before, and everything I've had since, thought I did have a few good tokes of some grapefruit weed a while back. I think part of the reason (heck a huge reason) why us pollen chuckers are into this is the novelty. Playing the genetic lottery so to speak. Now, I play powerball all the time (my wife would say too much - but heck, it's just a dollar and a dream), but that's part of what this is about. I look at GG#4 and just think - damn, that was nothing but an experiment and now, fuck, the greatest weed in the world. I don't know if i'll ever hit the jackpot, but you gotta be in it to win it.

@everybody else - have a great weekend. It's time to go on walk-about and harvest this weekend. I'm off to never, never land. We've had some great (heck unbelievable) weather these last few weeks. Virtually no rain and sunny most of the time. The girls should be ready to be trimmed down and hung up.

Oh - i'm pretty sure i'm going to take the plunge and try some autos in the garden, especially if the smell isn't too loud. I have the perfect spot right back towards the fence where there's some bushes that i can probably sneak a few in and nobody would know.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
dude, that sucks about rufus!
infections are serious stuff
give him plenty of treats and he will be just fine

mark twain once said "i have no respect for a many who can only spell a word one way"
im more about the ideas and spirit of the message, who cares about a couple mistakes
especially in casual conversation
mrs chicky and i also read a lot
/she is actually one of the most voracious readers ive ever met
the girl is just crazy about books

ya, clones done take up much room but keeping mothers does require some space
and i agree that is fun to sift through seeds!
i used to pretty much only grow from clones, but after some thigns went down, i realised i can not always rely on having access
seeds are small and you can always start fresh

and like sunny said, its fun to play the genetic lottery!
who knows what you will find in that next sprout

you guys have a great weekend too!

Fiddynut

Mornin gents.

@fiddy - sorry to hear about the cold. Bunch of peeps that I was out in Vegas with actually came down with the flu - 90% of the crew did. I escaped it - but, I was the only one to have gotten a flu shot. Not saying that prevented it, but damn, only 1 to have the shot and only 1 of the 10 of us not to get the flu. Even heard that a few of the school districts closed out in Vegas because so many kids out sick.

As for puttin on the lbs - good eatin will do that ya. I've been battling the bulge for years. About 15 years ago I got on the atkins / low carb diet, and went from 250 down to 180. Most expensive diet i was ever on, as i had to buy new clothes as nothing fit me. As life would have it, I got back to 250 right before the accident, then went down to 180 again. Funny, when your jaw is wired shut and you can't eat anything other than yogurt, damn, those lbs come off quickly. Anyway, this last fall I went to the doc for the annual checkup ( I HATE getting stinky pinky to check on the prostrate - ugg), anyway, I was up - this time to 280. Holy crapola. Anyway, I went back on Low Carb - i guess its called Keto now. I'm down to 240 eatin meat, meat, and more meat. Did i say I'm eating a ton of bacon???? Anyway, besides exercise, following the Keto diet is just amazing. The lbs just melt off.

@pop - Just like you, I absolutely love the novelty of good weed. My absolute favorite, in terms of flavor, was a cotton candy (or kotton kandy, depending on who you ask). I'll be damned, but it was the sweetest smoke I've ever tasted. It wasn't the best high (too psycho for me), but taste wise, just wow. It put to shame everything i had before, and everything I've had since, thought I did have a few good tokes of some grapefruit weed a while back. I think part of the reason (heck a huge reason) why us pollen chuckers are into this is the novelty. Playing the genetic lottery so to speak. Now, I play powerball all the time (my wife would say too much - but heck, it's just a dollar and a dream), but that's part of what this is about. I look at GG#4 and just think - damn, that was nothing but an experiment and now, fuck, the greatest weed in the world. I don't know if i'll ever hit the jackpot, but you gotta be in it to win it.

@everybody else - have a great weekend. It's time to go on walk-about and harvest this weekend. I'm off to never, never land. We've had some great (heck unbelievable) weather these last few weeks. Virtually no rain and sunny most of the time. The girls should be ready to be trimmed down and hung up.

Oh - i'm pretty sure i'm going to take the plunge and try some autos in the garden, especially if the smell isn't too loud. I have the perfect spot right back towards the fence where there's some bushes that i can probably sneak a few in and nobody would know.
Good morning Sunny.
I'm not going to let a little runny nose slow me down this weekend. It's been in the 60's and Spring is in the air. I've managed to avoid the colds and flu's all winter. I never felt very sick but the nose has stopped running so the rest of the weekend is looking great. Sounds like the flu shot was a good idea for you. I wonder how many of your buddies got sick from the crappy air on the plane.

My brother is on the low carb high fiber fat meat diet. Im thinking about giving it a try. For the Super Bowl I made a rib roast and instead of mashed potatoes I made a cauliflower purée that was low carb but great. Lots of cream and butter and tasted a lot like mashed potatoes. It was easy to make too. I don't eat much sweet stuff so I'm already low carb on that I just need to cut out some of the bread and potatoes and other carbs. If I lost 20 or so pounds I'd be way better off.

Glad to hear that you are getting nice weather. I hope your plants are loving it and getting fat. It's time for me to get outside and put some miles on the bike.

Fiddynut

dude, that sucks about rufus!
infections are serious stuff
give him plenty of treats and he will be just fine

mark twain once said "i have no respect for a many who can only spell a word one way"
im more about the ideas and spirit of the message, who cares about a couple mistakes
especially in casual conversation
mrs chicky and i also read a lot
/she is actually one of the most voracious readers ive ever met
the girl is just crazy about books

ya, clones done take up much room but keeping mothers does require some space
and i agree that is fun to sift through seeds!
i used to pretty much only grow from clones, but after some thigns went down, i realised i can not always rely on having access
seeds are small and you can always start fresh

and like sunny said, its fun to play the genetic lottery!
who knows what you will find in that next sprout

you guys have a great weekend too!
Good morning pop_rocks.
Rufus is doing well just too bad he can't do a lot of walking since we are getting such good weather. He is getting difficult to give pills to though. Something about the antibiotic capsule he doesn't like and I'm having to use cheese and peanut butter to get him tricked into taking them. And he hated the cone we have to put on him when not supervised.

Mark twain has a lot of great advise. I don't read as much as I'd like to but trying to find more time for it. There is just something so great about a good story. Better than a movie any day. Good authors have that way of expressing the spirit of the message like you say.

The autos that got chopped on Wednesday are going to be ready for dry trim and jars tonight so I'm going to have some work to do. It's good timing so I'll have tomorrow off of work to open the jars and get the moisture right. I'm going to ride the motorcycle with some friends today. I should have time to air up the tires on the trek tomorrow and do a couple rides around the neighborhood.

Time for me to get outside and enjoy some sunny beautiful weather. I hope your weekend is going great...Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
im glad to hear rufus is on the mend
ive used the cheese trick myself when ukie had to take her medicine

which autos came down last week?
im interested in throwing some autos in the mix and am just waiting for the weather to get right
so how did they look at harvest?
i like giving the plants a really good looking at once ive cut them
this is when you can turn them and look at them from every angle
the more of the plant you can see the more they will tell you

hope you had a great ride!
a buddy smoked some ham and sausage yesterday so the whole fam went over
mrs chickys mom is in town and my mom even showed up
after everyone left, i hung around and we got to spend time just handing out
hes a great cook and an even better friend!

im going to have to get back into being more active but im enjoying these last few days of still being in holiday mode!

cant wait ot hear the post harvest report

Fiddynut

im glad to hear rufus is on the mend
ive used the cheese trick myself when ukie had to take her medicine

which autos came down last week?
im interested in throwing some autos in the mix and am just waiting for the weather to get right
so how did they look at harvest?
i like giving the plants a really good looking at once ive cut them
this is when you can turn them and look at them from every angle
the more of the plant you can see the more they will tell you

hope you had a great ride!
a buddy smoked some ham and sausage yesterday so the whole fam went over
mrs chickys mom is in town and my mom even showed up
after everyone left, i hung around and we got to spend time just handing out
hes a great cook and an even better friend!

im going to have to get back into being more active but im enjoying these last few days of still being in holiday mode!

cant wait ot hear the post harvest report
Good afternoon pop_rocks.
Yep it's hard to keep Rufus down for long. He is dancing and prancing around like it never happened. Cheese and peanut butter works well with him unless he is on to the fact that you are trying to trick him into taking something. Then he is resistant. Either he hates the taste of it or he associates it with not feeling well.

I chopped all the autos on Wednesday and did the dry trim on Sunday night. I should have waited until Monday to do dry trim. It was really hard to trim because it's so sticky. I'm still getting the moisture to equalize so just going to have to wait a few more days to weigh it up and start sampling it. Got a great look and it's frosty and sticky. My sense of smell is still a little off from last weeks cold so not sure about how it's scent is changing.

Sounds like you guys had a great time on Sunday. It's nice to get the family's together and spend quality time. My family and inlaws get along well so we do a lot of birthday parties and holidays together. It's also nice when people start to disperse and you can get some extra time with your bud. Love some ham and smoked sausage.

I here you on getting more active. I did a lot of motorcycling over the weekend but harvest and chores on Monday plus dinner with my wife's mom kept me from getting on the mountain bike. Maybe during the week this week.

I hope your week is off to a good start...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings friends.
The LW's are doing good but I don't like the light coverage from the t5 covering two rows of four plants. The light is only wide enough to give food light to one side of the plant at a time. I also find the pots aren't drying out as quick as I'd like under the t5. I don't have a lot of air moving in that tent and it was taking 4+ days between watering.
Since the other tent is open I decided to pop the MH bulb in and veg under the 600w. I think this will work better. No males have shown yet and I'm starting to get nervous that they will not show before they get rootbound in the 8" pots. I'm starting to wonder if they are all girls. If so I'm in trouble since I have no space to flower all 8 plants. If this were the case I'd have to flower out the 4 best and keep the other 4 as mothers and grow them from cuttings next round. The seedlings came up about a month ago so I'd expected to see sex by now. They had a slow start the first couple weeks but have been growing well the last two weeks. Just a reminder that the plants have their own schedule and don't care what I had planed.

Nice fat dark green leaves on them. Stacking a lot of nodes very tight. Lots of side branching and lower growth.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
looking great fiddy!
they are nicely colored and reaching for the light
one thing you can try is rotate the plants a bit,say a quarter to half turn
this will help even out growth
nice move putting them under the brighter light
they will bush up and grow faster

thasts funny you mentioned trimming while wet
ive been doing it this way recently but used to let the plants dry a little before
one pro of wet trim is the glands are still supple so not as many are knocked off during handling
a plus to dry trimming is you can do it one your schedule and that the leaves can slow the drying process
i would like to hear form the others about their trimming technique
do you guys trim right away or wait a while?
what are the pros and cons of each?

so what if they do all turn out to be ladies?!?
8 plants is a lot in a 3x3 area

you currently are running two areas?
/1:600w, 1 florescent ; both in 3x3 spaces?
i would def flower out the four and put the other four on the back burner
i would also top the four not used to keep them smaller

yeah, its great when everyone can get together and have fun!
the moms are friends and had a lot of catching up to do
we ended up in the living room watching gymnastics (the girl is a gymnast) and sipping cold ones until mrs chicky had to leave (she had to work on monday)
then out came the strong smokey stuff

i hope we can get out on the bikes too but there is rain in the forecast for this weekend
if we dont ride we will at least go for a nice walk
time to get back outside!

Fiddynut

looking great fiddy!
they are nicely colored and reaching for the light
one thing you can try is rotate the plants a bit,say a quarter to half turn
this will help even out growth
nice move putting them under the brighter light
they will bush up and grow faster

thasts funny you mentioned trimming while wet
ive been doing it this way recently but used to let the plants dry a little before
one pro of wet trim is the glands are still supple so not as many are knocked off during handling
a plus to dry trimming is you can do it one your schedule and that the leaves can slow the drying process
i would like to hear form the others about their trimming technique
do you guys trim right away or wait a while?
what are the pros and cons of each?

so what if they do all turn out to be ladies?!?
8 plants is a lot in a 3x3 area

you currently are running two areas?
/1:600w, 1 florescent ; both in 3x3 spaces?
i would def flower out the four and put the other four on the back burner
i would also top the four not used to keep them smaller

yeah, its great when everyone can get together and have fun!
the moms are friends and had a lot of catching up to do
we ended up in the living room watching gymnastics (the girl is a gymnast) and sipping cold ones until mrs chicky had to leave (she had to work on monday)
then out came the strong smokey stuff

i hope we can get out on the bikes too but there is rain in the forecast for this weekend
if we dont ride we will at least go for a nice walk
time to get back outside!
I had been doing the rotation on them when under the t5 but I think they were at the point they could benefit from the more intense light now. I think the t5 is best when the plants are small and right under it. That probably means 4-5 veging plants for best results. I really want them to mature so I can get the males out of there. More light should quicken the process. I did my whole first run under that light and even as a first timer managed not to fry the seedlings. I'm thinking about a strategy where I use the 600w to do second half of veg every run which would free up space under the t5 for clones and a mother or two. I'm thinking that if I only use it for the last couple weeks of veg it won't slow down my cycles too much.

You bring up some great points on trimming. My first harvest I did a wet trim right at chop and a touch up trim when dry. The second harvest I was kind of pissed about the seeds so I just striped fans and hung the whole plants, then dry trim before going into jars. I like the slower dry time of hanging the whole plant but maybe not in summer when the humidity is higher and there are a lot more mold spores in the air. I will continue to experiment a bit but may have to trim differently at different times of the year. I do like the fact that a wet trim seems to loose less crystals and makes it less work when cutting the buds off the stem. Reading a lot of trimming threads on icmag it seems there are many opinions and as per usual one style works better for some and not others. I may even try a wet/dry side by side experiment on my next harvest.

I think if I end up with more than 5 lady's I will flower 4 out and keep the others in veg. When there is a month or so left in flower I'll take cuttings from whatever is in veg and pick the best of them to flower out on the next cycle. I've got space for that and I'd hate to waste what could be the best one in the pack. My flower tent is 3x3 and my veg tent is a 2x4.

That's great that the family's get along well. I know a lot of people who cringe at the idea of family gatherings because of fighting and bad attitudes. Many of those family's have heavy drinkers and that seems to be a contributing factor. My brothers daughter is into gymnastics as well. That seems like a great sport for kids, lots of exercise and stretching is great for the body. Doing the 12 oz curl with beer cans is pretty good exercise as well. Glad you guys got some puffing time in.

Time to get back outside is right. It's been upper 60's for a few days and we are getting spoiled. Back to the 40's for the rest of the week and weekend it looks like for us. I hope that the rain holds off for you guys and you get some riding in...Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
im very lucky that my girls parents are pretty cool
on the surface they are very different me, but they are easy to get along with and really good people

you are right about using different trimming techniques at different times of year
in the summer,i want to slow the process so i jsut rough out the buds
i discard the large fan leaves by hand and then quickly trim up the sugar leaf
i leave the bud on the stem in sections of about 1-2ft and just hang them
in the winter the weed could take forever to dry so i tend to trim closer and cut it from the branch sooner
i think climate is one reason why everyone has a different style
a side by side test would be awsome!
its amazing how much you can effect the color,smell and taste of the plant after its cut

your idea to veg under the t5 is a good one, esp if you plan on taking cuts
a little stretch lets you sink the node deeper into the rooting medium

rain or shine, im so looking foreward to this weekend

Fiddynut

im very lucky that my girls parents are pretty cool
on the surface they are very different me, but they are easy to get along with and really good people

you are right about using different trimming techniques at different times of year
in the summer,i want to slow the process so i jsut rough out the buds
i discard the large fan leaves by hand and then quickly trim up the sugar leaf
i leave the bud on the stem in sections of about 1-2ft and just hang them
in the winter the weed could take forever to dry so i tend to trim closer and cut it from the branch sooner
i think climate is one reason why everyone has a different style
a side by side test would be awsome!
its amazing how much you can effect the color,smell and taste of the plant after its cut

your idea to veg under the t5 is a good one, esp if you plan on taking cuts
a little stretch lets you sink the node deeper into the rooting medium

rain or shine, im so looking foreward to this weekend
You are lucky indeed. I'm pretty lucky myself and grateful about that. One of the guys I work with is always talking about how his wife doesn't get along with his mom and what a pain in the ass it is around the holidays. He has two kids who don't see their grandmother much because his wife refuses to interact. Life is too short for that kind of shit. I feel like I could get along with anyone for a few hours, especially if they were family or inlaws.

Using my loupe this morning I think I have identified 2 plants that are going to be girls. I can just barely see the start of tiny pistils on them. There are another 2 that I think are males but I'm going to give them a few more days to see that that's the case. One for sure had coconut shaped balls but it was harder to tell on the other. The other 4 have no preflowers or they are so tiny that I can't tell what they are. Seeing that some of them are starting to preflower has put my mind at ease since I know the rest will be close behind. Sexing by preflower is way different than sexing the autos I just grew. The autos had the classic balls that would show clearly at the nodes and were very easy to spot.

I'm looking forward to the weekend as well. The record highs in the 60's are gone but it's suppose to be in the 40's which is still pretty nice. Shit were lucky it's not 40 below zero since it's still February. It's been busy at work so I can't complain. I've been getting some longer morning walks with Rufus in and he is happy about that. Still have to air up the tires on the bicycle and give that a rip. Maybe this weekend.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
i would not rush tossing out the males
as long as your light cycle is like 18+hrs they wont flower so no harm in being certain
give them a little more time to make sure, they should start showing more robust pre flowers in teh next couple nodes
im in the same spot and am keeping a close eye on some young plants
a couple im on the fence about but am going to take cuts of everything
maybe i will try makeing some seeds if they turn out to be males

yeah man, 60' sounds nice!
its still winter but the weather has been pretty nice when its not raining
i guess the rain is not till this sunday now, so we will see about getting out this weekend
my nephew is going to be in town too, so i will be spending some time with him
just ahve to touch base and see when he is free

that sucks that your friend cant stand his in laws
like you said, life is too short to let others get you down
so im goign to amke some fried chicken this weekend
the other day i i made a nice white gravy and thoguth it would be great over some fried chicken breast and mashed potatoes
i did this gravy without any drippings so its kind of bland, i tihnk this weekend i will use chicken stock to give it some flavor
one more day to go brother!
cant wait for the end of the week

Morning all.

Well, walk-about went better than expected and the two remaining ladies were in great shape. I think giving them that extra time was key - they put on a ton of weight and that weather was perfect. I was a bit worried about the daylight lengthening but things worked out pretty well. Tri's are a bit more amber than I normally like, but it'll be a few weeks before they're ready to test. As for drying, I hang almost the entire plant, except for the very bottom fan leaves, upside down. If its humid, i'll leave a fan on in the room but on just a very, very gentle cycle, but that too depends on how smelly the girls are. If they're crazy loud then just gotta watch and be safe and hope they handle the humidity. Not a big fan of trimming either with the bad shoulder operating scissors for 6 hours isn't the #1 chore on my list of things to do.

Speaking of keeping a low profile, I've heard rumors that the po-po has some sort of heat differentiation device that they can basically tell a pot plant growing on the ground from 500 ft up in the air from regular plants / trees / etc. I'm considering running one of those autos as my next project, and would love to keep it in the back yard - but the last thing I need is the po-po showing up. Any thoughts from you guys? While I love the weather here, I don't trust this state govt farther than I can throw it and with my bad shoulder that means about 4 inches.

As for being blessed with those extra LW's, you can always bonzai the one's that you're not going to flower if you're short on space ... and then again, you can always do the prudent thing and get another tent :). Not that you're this is a democracy, but I personally vote for you to buy one more tent, but I'm pretty sure your wallet is going to vote against it.

Hope Rufus is all healed up by now and the cone of shame can be hidden at the back of the closet. Those things are expensive (I paid like $60 for my doge's cone), so its not like you can just toss it out when they've healed up. Gotta keep that dog-gone-it thing.

Fiddynut

i would not rush tossing out the males
as long as your light cycle is like 18+hrs they wont flower so no harm in being certain
give them a little more time to make sure, they should start showing more robust pre flowers in teh next couple nodes
im in the same spot and am keeping a close eye on some young plants
a couple im on the fence about but am going to take cuts of everything
maybe i will try makeing some seeds if they turn out to be males

yeah man, 60' sounds nice!
its still winter but the weather has been pretty nice when its not raining
i guess the rain is not till this sunday now, so we will see about getting out this weekend
my nephew is going to be in town too, so i will be spending some time with him
just ahve to touch base and see when he is free

that sucks that your friend cant stand his in laws
like you said, life is too short to let others get you down
so im goign to amke some fried chicken this weekend
the other day i i made a nice white gravy and thoguth it would be great over some fried chicken breast and mashed potatoes
i did this gravy without any drippings so its kind of bland, i tihnk this weekend i will use chicken stock to give it some flavor
one more day to go brother!
cant wait for the end of the week
Good morning pop_rocks.
I'm trying not to rush but finding that I've miscalculated the timing for them to show sex. I should have used the next size up pot form the 8" I'm using now. However all my 10" pots were in use for the autos I was growing. I should have planned this better. They are getting that look of being droopy when they normally wouldn't need water. The post last night were getting dryish but just where I'd usually water them but they were already droopy looking under watered. I think this is because so many roots get in the air gap at the bottom and sides of the pot and as the soil drys and shrinks these parts dry first. I'm going to pot up in a few days when they dry out regardless of if I know if boys or girls. This droopy look means they are stressed and that isn't going to help them show sex any earlier. If I confirm that 2 are males I can probably have room for the 6 remaining to pot up and give a few more days to get happy again. Not going to top until they look happy again. They are all 12-14" tall and I wasn't going to let them get much taller before flipping to 12/12. I don't want to be over the hight limit after stretch like I was with the Larry's. I'm a bit disappointed in myself for making another mistake with transplant strategy and I hope the rootbound and drought stress dosent lead to hermies later in the grow. This is the first grow with nonfeminized regular seeds and it seems I still have a lot to learn. Going to correct this for the next grow for sure.

We got really spoiled with a few days in the 60's but it's been 40 or so and we had some crazy hard rain and thunder storms all night last night. Rainy and cool today with snow tonight and tomorrow. Still above average temps so can't complain. We got a nice taste of spring and I may be a month before we see temps that warm again. With spring almost here I'm able to get to the garden stores and stock up on supplies and more pots. They keep the soil outside on pallets and last time I tried to get some they were frozen solid to each other and I couldn't get the bags apart so I had to make due with the soil I had. I had just enough but don't like running low. I have to keep a few extra bags at home now during winter months so this dosent happen again.

I love fried chicken. It's not something I make often because I always make such a mess when making it. I like to soak pieces in buttermilk and then toss in seasoned flower and into the hot oil. So damn good! That white gravy sounds great (country gravy?). I make it for fried chicken and also for chicken fried steak which is another fav of mine. I make mine with chicken broth that I condense down so it's got a lot of flavor. Then it's just milk, garlic, onion and flower. I use the same recipe for biscuits and gravy and just add sausage to the gravy. Very southern style cooking.

I hope you have a nice time with your nephew this weekend. I hope you get a ride in and hope your chicken and gravy are great...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Morning all.

Well, walk-about went better than expected and the two remaining ladies were in great shape. I think giving them that extra time was key - they put on a ton of weight and that weather was perfect. I was a bit worried about the daylight lengthening but things worked out pretty well. Tri's are a bit more amber than I normally like, but it'll be a few weeks before they're ready to test. As for drying, I hang almost the entire plant, except for the very bottom fan leaves, upside down. If its humid, i'll leave a fan on in the room but on just a very, very gentle cycle, but that too depends on how smelly the girls are. If they're crazy loud then just gotta watch and be safe and hope they handle the humidity. Not a big fan of trimming either with the bad shoulder operating scissors for 6 hours isn't the #1 chore on my list of things to do.

Speaking of keeping a low profile, I've heard rumors that the po-po has some sort of heat differentiation device that they can basically tell a pot plant growing on the ground from 500 ft up in the air from regular plants / trees / etc. I'm considering running one of those autos as my next project, and would love to keep it in the back yard - but the last thing I need is the po-po showing up. Any thoughts from you guys? While I love the weather here, I don't trust this state govt farther than I can throw it and with my bad shoulder that means about 4 inches.

As for being blessed with those extra LW's, you can always bonzai the one's that you're not going to flower if you're short on space ... and then again, you can always do the prudent thing and get another tent :). Not that you're this is a democracy, but I personally vote for you to buy one more tent, but I'm pretty sure your wallet is going to vote against it.

Hope Rufus is all healed up by now and the cone of shame can be hidden at the back of the closet. Those things are expensive (I paid like $60 for my doge's cone), so its not like you can just toss it out when they've healed up. Gotta keep that dog-gone-it thing.
Good afternoon Sunny.
Glad to here that your plants did well. Sounds like you timed it well. More amber trichomes make for nice relaxing buzz and that seems to be to your liking. Do they reveg if the days get to long outside. I've herd of re veging inside but not outdoors but I guess they would. Trimming is kind of a pain. My first couple grows I was so excited that I was looking forward to every stage including trimming but the last couple I don't really look forward to it anymore. Just more work to be done. I can see why the cash croppers have automatic trimming machines though I've herd that you still need to do touch up by hand.

As far as keeping a low profile my intuition says you would probably be ok with a plant or two. From what I've read the air searches can see plots of many plants but would be unlikely to see one or two. I think they also concentrate on arias where they think there are large numbers of plants being grown. It's very expensive to fly around looking for plants and they try to do it in arias where they think they would have the most impact. I think cannabis has a unique green color and that may be what they look for. The autos I grew have a darker color than the photo plants I've grown so that may help disguise them even more.

I will be adding a mother/clone tent sometime soon. I want to have a nice successful hermie free grow before I add anything else. More important to have the environments that I allready have dialed in before adding new environments. Once I'm confident that I have thinkpgs under control then I won't hesitate to add tent and lights. I've seen threads on bonsai mothers and I think I could learn how to do that but it will take some practice.

Rufus is glad to be done with the cone and seems not to be bothered by his foot. He still has a couple days of antibiotics to go but we quit using the cone yesterday and he was fine last night without it. We've had the cone for a couple years ever since he had an operation to remove a foreign object from his intestine. He had gotten ahold of a bath towel that had been soaked with bbq pork juice. He usually doesn't eat things he's not suppose to but I guess he just couldn't resist. It was scary because he had quit eating and nothing was showing up on X-ray or ultrasound so they recommended exploratory surgery.

I hope your drying and trimming go well and you are rewarded with some great buds. Have a great weekend...Fiddy.

Rodehazrd

Hey guys
I been down with a stomach issue but ha e been lurking some. My battle is gaining weight right now I'm up to 165 but at 6'3" I'm still a scarecrow.
On the subject of aerial surveillance cannabis has a unique infrared signature and can easily be spotted with a camera.
Landsat can diagnose corn deficiency from 150 miles up. So a helicopter at 500 no problem. Although thats not legal surveillance when did that matter.
@pop. I agree on trim humidity dictates the method change it often to suit your needs.
Oh well back to the porcelain for now.
Rodehazrd

@rode. I've also heard that there's that unique "signature" to cannabis, and that's what i'm worried about. On walk-about, there's no way there going to put a posse out on finding 1 plant in the middle of nowhere (and I mean the middle of nowhere. If anybody wants to have fun, lookup the Ocala national forest. I swear I hear banjo's playing the theme from Deliverance every time I'm there). But, in a highly populated area where the po-po fly around on other missions, I'm a bit worried they may pop-off if they see something that they don't think looks right.

@fiddy - I can't blame rufus for eating that towel - sounds like something I would do ... lol. Anyway, great to know your vet is pro-active enough to do an exploratory surgery. My college room-mate had his doge pass away because he ate a tennis ball. The vet took a look and said no issues, come back in a week if he's still feeling crappy - well, 3 days later we ended up taking him to the emergency clinic where they did the operation but it wasn't soon enough and the doge passed away. He was a beautiful Malamute with these grey colored eyes (technically, blue, but the blue was such an amazing color they appeared grey). Ugg, tearing up just thinking about it. As for the day lengthening, yup, you hit the nail on the head. If they get too much light they'll go back into veg. Not that i have a problem harvesting a 16 foot monster of a plant, but I try to set things up so as to not have to purchase weed and just harvest my own. I share with some friends, but I don't want to lose out on a harvest. As I said upthread, I'm happy with harvesting 1 of the 4 I put out into the woods. Knock-On-Wood that I've had good success and kept myself supplied enough. I will never, EVER go back on opiods, as weed works just so damn good for knocking out the pain and letting me sleep. Since i detoxed off them opiods I've always had enough in my mason jars to keep me set. Anyway, yeah, I gotta watch out when I'm putting the ladies out. Most of the year i'm pretty good, but if put out in May or June, a 6/7 week plant becomes an 11/12 week plant, and since summer is rainy season here, bud rot can be a problem. Blue dream is a great plant to put out in October or November - but hot damn, don't put that plant out on walk-about in May.

@pop - btw - not sure if you have any xanthum gum around, but that will also help thicken your gravy. I'm not doing the carbs so I can't have but hot damn I love me some of that chicken ... sounds delicious.

@rode - 6' 3" and 165. Holy crap, you're all skin and bones. you should be suckin down pepsi and eating as many chocolates as you can ... lol - i can only wish.

Speaking of food, going to do a huge spread for Fat Tuesday. I LOVE a good crawfish boil - and man, am I gonna eat on Tuesday night. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fiddynut

Hey guys
I been down with a stomach issue but ha e been lurking some. My battle is gaining weight right now I'm up to 165 but at 6'3" I'm still a scarecrow.
On the subject of aerial surveillance cannabis has a unique infrared signature and can easily be spotted with a camera.
Landsat can diagnose corn deficiency from 150 miles up. So a helicopter at 500 no problem. Although thats not legal surveillance when did that matter.
@pop. I agree on trim humidity dictates the method change it often to suit your needs.
Oh well back to the porcelain for now.
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
I'm glad to hear you are ok and it's nice to see you posting. I always worry about people who have our hobby when I don't see them posting. You always add something good to our conversations. This thread is a better place with you adding your wisdom and knowledge. Sorry to here you are under the weather. There has been a lot of flu going around. At your hight and weight it sounds like you have the opposite issue than a couple of us more round people. I was super skinny my whole childhood and into my later 20's until a bike accident slowed me and my metabolism down. I could eat anything I wanted and not ever gain a pound. Now I still eat what I want but that might have to change unless I want to be more and more overweight. Gotta find a balance. I hope you start feeling better and start putting on some pounds.

That is very interesting about the aerial surveillance. Cameras and inferred have come a long way haven't they. It makes good sense that you could use something like that for corn. We can look at our few plants pretty easy but just try to look at a corn field good luck. I wonder if corn farmers will eventually have drones that they use to look at crops from above and detect deficiencies or pest infestations. Pretty cool but not if they are using it to track us growers down.

Get some chicken soup in you and start feeling better bud...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

@rode. I've also heard that there's that unique "signature" to cannabis, and that's what i'm worried about. On walk-about, there's no way there going to put a posse out on finding 1 plant in the middle of nowhere (and I mean the middle of nowhere. If anybody wants to have fun, lookup the Ocala national forest. I swear I hear banjo's playing the theme from Deliverance every time I'm there). But, in a highly populated area where the po-po fly around on other missions, I'm a bit worried they may pop-off if they see something that they don't think looks right.

@fiddy - I can't blame rufus for eating that towel - sounds like something I would do ... lol. Anyway, great to know your vet is pro-active enough to do an exploratory surgery. My college room-mate had his doge pass away because he ate a tennis ball. The vet took a look and said no issues, come back in a week if he's still feeling crappy - well, 3 days later we ended up taking him to the emergency clinic where they did the operation but it wasn't soon enough and the doge passed away. He was a beautiful Malamute with these grey colored eyes (technically, blue, but the blue was such an amazing color they appeared grey). Ugg, tearing up just thinking about it. As for the day lengthening, yup, you hit the nail on the head. If they get too much light they'll go back into veg. Not that i have a problem harvesting a 16 foot monster of a plant, but I try to set things up so as to not have to purchase weed and just harvest my own. I share with some friends, but I don't want to lose out on a harvest. As I said upthread, I'm happy with harvesting 1 of the 4 I put out into the woods. Knock-On-Wood that I've had good success and kept myself supplied enough. I will never, EVER go back on opiods, as weed works just so damn good for knocking out the pain and letting me sleep. Since i detoxed off them opiods I've always had enough in my mason jars to keep me set. Anyway, yeah, I gotta watch out when I'm putting the ladies out. Most of the year i'm pretty good, but if put out in May or June, a 6/7 week plant becomes an 11/12 week plant, and since summer is rainy season here, bud rot can be a problem. Blue dream is a great plant to put out in October or November - but hot damn, don't put that plant out on walk-about in May.

@pop - btw - not sure if you have any xanthum gum around, but that will also help thicken your gravy. I'm not doing the carbs so I can't have but hot damn I love me some of that chicken ... sounds delicious.

@rode - 6' 3" and 165. Holy crap, you're all skin and bones. you should be suckin down pepsi and eating as many chocolates as you can ... lol - i can only wish.

Speaking of food, going to do a huge spread for Fat Tuesday. I LOVE a good crawfish boil - and man, am I gonna eat on Tuesday night. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Good morning Sunny.
With all the technology these days I guess everything is risky. I'm thinking that the autos would be good for your gorilla grow in the parks. They finish on time predictably and are very hardy. You could just come back at day 60 and they should be ready. The longer days of summer won't cause them to veg longer and if anything they will be bigger from all that sun light. If you went from seed you could visit them after 3 weeks and pull the males and leave the rest until day 60. I'm going to try a few somewhere outside this summer and see how it goes.

That is too bad about your buddies dog. Our bond with dogs is so strong they quickly become family. We are lucky to have a good vet. Being a vet has to be a very hard job and it must take some intuition to be a good one. Since they can't tell us what is wrong or how that feel we can only judge by symptoms. As owners all we can do is be perceptive and try to watch out for them.

I'm with you on avoiding opioids. They are really putting a hurt on the country's kids right now. Lots of young people I work with start out taking a buddy's oxy's and end up throwing their life away on smack. Not good for the body either. I've read that they can lower pain tolerance over time making you hurt even more. My wife is one of the only people I know that can have a bottle of Vicodin and it will last her months. She will take one and not again for weeks. I don't have that kind of will power.

Sounds like you have a nice feast planned for Tuesday. My wife has family in costal Alabama and they eat all kinds of shrimp, crawfish, oysters and clams and such. I grew up 1000 miles from the nearest ocean so never got a taste for seafood but I'm sure it's great. Have a great weekend and enjoy that crawfish boil....Fiddy.

Latest posts

Latest posts