What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tester Badge for Seedbay & Bou testers ?

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would also like to see the grow summarized in our Grow Reports section.

That would be the final requirement and then I could vet that report and the grow journal for completeness before assigning a leaf.

Journal

Personally...
I have thought about doing more than one journal yet when it came time. I've always found it to feel like work and have moved on down more enjoyable path's... Maybe that's just me...lol

I guess I need to do one,before really having an opinion yet wonder if a journal might me a bit much to ask... Yet,would be a challenge for sure...:biggrin:

Looks like I have a journal to get to...:beat-dead

They don't need to be the best journals in the world,right ?
Just enough to meet requirements and not judged, I'm hoping.

Some grows will not go well for whatever reason, Be it learning curve-lack of breeder input-Lack of quality genetics...

Any of these outcomes if documented correctly should have a chance of qualifying as a completed test.

Example:

<>~Alien~Dawg~<> Strawberry Cough x SSSDH ~ Testing ®

Though it was a failed test run it had pictures from start to finish.
A beginning-middle-lead up to failure-learned from set of reports as it happened and seems to me if I added a Learned lessons report
with a picture of a successful run after it would qualify for a leaf.
(Simply an example and Im not asking for a leaf...lol )

I had a great time till the last few days...
I learned a lot and have since almost completed a successful test for another member...

Just like fishing-test will fail from time to time... Is all im saying...

I would think people would be limited to one grow report/leaf a quarter (at least 3 months for a grow from seed, no?)
So the most anyone could accumulate in a year would be 4 leaves.

Sounds solid- Liking the limit per season as that will allow the leaf's to retain meaning and not just be bragging rights...lol

Would show dedication...

Seems like the guidelines/rules for a leaf are going to need to contain quite a few "within-reason" clauses "use common scene" clauses applied... Hard to cover every possible issue...lol

What if a member is running 3 different breeders test packs and chooses only to do one anywhere close to complete or even at all ?

We could also give them a badge too, but that might be redundant.

What about giving a leaf for a completed test thread and a badge for a added journal ?

" Journal-Tester" ~ "Elite-Seed-Tester" maybe "Veteran-Seed-tester"

Just thinking/typing out loud...:biggrin:

Buddle

Veteran
Good thorough test threads take a lot of time. I feel the breeder benefits more than the grower. Just my opinion. I have popped a LOT of beans and keepoers don't come in every pack.

rik78

Veteran
how will work the assigment of new test, people with more leaves first, I suposse? will not this create a lack of new testers coming in?
in other words, how will new tester get the chance, once a good number of testers have a few leaves?

Skip

Veteran
What if someone runs 8 tests and completes 4 to specification. That grower gets 4 leaves but is only 50% reliable.
He would have had to complete the first four to get a 5th chance, and that would be a year after the first, by which time everyone would know whether they deserved another leaf.

Why would anyone continue to send out testers to someone who doesn't complete the tests?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Clarence has let me run more than 1 tester at a time. I guess It's cuz I always finish what I sign up for. However most don't.

sdd420

Veteran
I agree that something is needed. Clarence must put in a lot time sending these out...I can only imagine. And the cost and time lost by the breeder wow how rude can a grower be? Lets put something together and allow testers to prove themselves. The proven testers will certainly be picked first. Peace sdd

sdd420

Veteran
how will work the assigment of new test, people with more leaves first, I suposse? will not this create a lack of new testers coming in?
in other words, how will new tester get the chance, once a good number of testers have a few leaves?

Well not every test comes at the right time so you pass it up. Document some personnel grows and that gives credibility right? Peace

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
consider the medium.
it's an internet forum, and as such, many concepts can be difficult to communicate. you aint gonna see no damn smoke reports from me. saw somebody describe a flavor on here as "funk." wtf is that? dirty sock funk, toe jam funk? :laughing:
everybody has different tastes and therefore smoke reports are WAY to subjective for my liking. and regarding the high; holy crap, so many variables. what's your tolerance? you smoking from a clean bowl? when was your last high? did you smoke this bud in the morning or eve? i'll pass on all that subjective bullshit and let the pics do the talking. people talk too much anyway! besides, it really is the most effective way to communicate in this digital medium. you like what you see on my grow journal? send me a pm and lets work it out. you don't like what you see? ignore me like everybody else!
:laughing:
picture.php
picture.php

Skip

Veteran
consider the medium.
it's an internet forum, and as such, many concepts can be difficult to communicate. you aint gonna see no damn smoke reports from me. saw somebody describe a flavor on here as "funk." wtf is that? dirty sock funk, toe jam funk? :laughing:
everybody has different tastes and therefore smoke reports are WAY to subjective for my liking. and regarding the high; holy crap, so many variables. what's your tolerance? you smoking from a clean bowl? when was your last high? did you smoke this bud in the morning or eve? i'll pass on all that subjective bullshit and let the pics do the talking. people talk too much anyway! besides, it really is the most effective way to communicate in this digital medium. you like what you see on my grow journal? send me a pm and lets work it out. you don't like what you see? ignore me like everybody else!
It's not a smoke report we'll require, but a grow report. Smoke report of course would help, and some mention of how it turned out would be expected for any grow.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
I think it's a good idea.

Clarence has let me run more than 1 tester at a time. I guess It's cuz I always finish what I sign up for. However most don't.

the last time i offered to test grow something a long time ago now i got sent 3 crosses instead of one and then got guilted loads by the breeders for not growing all three then and i was the only person that came through at all of any sent out.. i literally had the room for one pack at the time and not 3 of different shit.. still feel bad about that..

I would maybe like to see red ganja leaves then for people that have offered to test and then dissappeared off the radar.. or come up with lame excuses as to why they can only start 3 seeds at a time because of some bs..

I think it should be a law almost that either all the seeds agreed to be started are popped the week they are received or you get a red leaf,, no messing about, this community testing concept has been too unprofessional and retarded since forever,, and we all lose through the lack of proper testing and documentation that has been a sad blotch on our productivity..

Also if you mark out the people that have been proven to be a bit greedy or inappropriate for testing in that way as well then everyone else could have more of a chance to help that will do it for honest reasons, instead of just marking out the best and then they are all always chosen..

Everyone wants a free pack of seeds don't they but people obviously should know before offering to be a tester that these aren't free at all they come with alot of responsibility, and you are supposed to be getting them to help show everybody what they are like not add them to your seed hoard.. So reinforce the community thing by shaming anyone who hasn't thought hard about if they can follow through with their promise before committing. Maybe a timed penalty thing like a red card for a year or two ??..

The range of top quality genetics on offer is starting to get pretty insanely good as well so it would be an equally good time to make some attempt at a new/better/real system for testing it all, and if icmag doesn't make head way in that department i doubt any other forum will or even can.
:2cents:

Last edited:

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
consider the medium.
:laughing:
View Image View Image

Im all for a 90% picture grow thread... Pictures saying a 1000 words and all... Great point MG...

I would hope the requirements from the MAG are a
set of common sense requirement with what qualifies as useful and desired from each test set sent.
Determined by the sender/breeder.. Perhaps,
Required to be clearly detailed by the breeder on the launch post or withing post 3 of any tester list posted...
I for one would rather more pictures than words in a test done for me, yet some would prefer the opposite.
Of course I want details/opinions of this and that but a bunch of nice pictures are golden. In my book..

I think it's a good idea.
the last time i offered to test grow something a long time ago now i got sent 3 crosses instead of one and then got guilted loads by the breeders for not growing all three then and i was the only person that came through at all of any sent out.. i literally had the room for one pack at the time and not 3 of different shit.. still feel bad about that..
I would maybe like to see red ganja leaves then for people that have offered to test and then dissappeared off the radar.. or come up with lame excuses as to why they can only start 3 seeds at a time because of some bs..
I think it should be a law almost that either all the seeds agreed to be started are popped the week they are received or you get a red leaf,, no messing about, this community testing concept has been too unprofessional and retarded since forever,, and we all lose through the lack of proper testing and documentation that has been a sad blotch on our productivity..
Also if you mark out the people that have been proven to be a bit greedy or inappropriate for testing in that way as well then everyone else could have more of a chance to help that will do it for honest reasons, instead of just marking out the best and then they are all always chosen..
Everyone wants a free pack of seeds don't they but people obviously should know before offering to be a tester that these aren't free at all they come with a lot of responsibility, and you are supposed to be getting them to help show everybody what they are like not add them to your seed hoard.. So reinforce the community thing by shaming anyone who hasn't thought hard about if they can follow through with their promise before committing. Maybe a timed penalty thing like a red card for a year or two ??..
The range of top quality genetics on offer is starting to get pretty insanely good as well so it would be an equally good time to make some attempt at a new/better/real system for testing it all, and if icmag doesn't make head way in that department i doubt any other forum will or even can.
:2cents:
Not that Im speaking of your situation here(Which im not)lol It brings up a good point.
When I sent my 1st set of packs out for testing,
I didn't have control of the tester list and he who did obviously,for good reason had more to do than babysit my tester list... Hence more than one pack got sent to each tester signed up and as the sender I felt it was only right that they simply keep the other packs as gifts if not able to run them...

Another reason we need a Tester system in place...

I was more than willing to run the list yet being new.
I suppose was not given the option...

If your going to send seeds for testing,
you should have the basic posting skills to support the test threads.
In other words,be capable of creating a Tester list thread...lol 2 cents...

As for a red leaf as a "Mark" I dont know... Interesting thought..
Seems like yet more work for Skip and more ammunition for trolls causing more work for MODs on the MAG forums...

A slight benefit gained by being able to clearly see those not keeping their words.
Yet for me at least... Not worth the trouble and I would rather this be a purely enjoyable system...
Work is just a project if your enjoying what your working on... IMO...

Let have fun gettin er done!
Leave the drama for the other sites... :biggrin:

Besides... If the community at large,gets on board
with the ideas laid out here and the concepts in general.
We wont need a red leaf.

Over the last couple years I have seen quite a few hard subjects
talked about in the forums with courtesy and professionalism and I believe
there are more than enough member's that have been here for years and are not
going anywhere soon.
That we could easily police ourselves and those known to not respect the community
will be easy to spot in the crowd...

Lets not forget the "New guy/gal" needs a chance to shine as well... This alone will cause some test to fail and seeds to be lost... Id call it paying forward and not really taking a chance...

Last edited:

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread being about a tester system and how it might look and function.
I thought it would be nice to have a spot where we can look at both the breeders and testers sides/opinions/needs/desires...

Looking for Opinions from those that send test packs & those that sign up to test...

Leaving this thread for the in's and out's of how the system itself might function...

A thought I shared in the other thread and I thought would fit well here...

I believe this is why a test list should be run for a good
30 days before seeds are sent...

Also a reason I don't send 10 seeds in every tester pack..
Sad really...
But for me logic dictates the less you give,the fewer thieves are willing to put the time in to get them.

In an ideal world...
A tester pack would be determined between each
testers available time and space and have from
6 to 99 seeds per pack. Over 10 being very rare,
10 being the most common amount...
In a perfect world...

What do y'all think of 30 day waits for seeds to be sent,even if the list is filled in 10... After 30 days the people on the final list start sending in addys for the packs...

I found a few testers that made my last list failed to claim the packs they were assigned to... Lending to doubt they were serious about the testing and I feel I most likely would have not seen test done or finished... Instead those open spots allowed more dedicated testers into the group...

30 days goes by fast, though it need not be 30... 15 maybe ?

bambi

BRILLANT IDEAS"

I had trouble selecting testers a year ago, and got 1% of the info needed back from 5 testers I picked to help further my own future business here im aiming for, I do know im not the only one with this hic/cup and why I like some of the ideas put out by many members here,

Ive now asked to not have the job of tester selecting and happy to have it done on my behalf' as suggested already, best i stick to selecting plants only I think) - b

toppin

Veteran
Black list every member that ketp the testers as freebies without reasonable explanation, Pm them explain that due to THEIR actions they will no longer be considered for testing on ICmag.

Testers should have to apply directly to the breeder with info on how they would carry out the testing and not just put there name down on a list (far to easy to get free seeds). If testers cant be arsed to fill in a application how can they be arsed to carry out a test grow log that will run for a couple of months? Plus this would help find a wider spec for testing i.e. if 10 packs of seeds get sent out to 10 tester who all grow in soil indoors, this wouldnt help the breeder know how they perform in hydro and so on.

Just my 2 cents

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Black list every member that ketp the testers as freebies without reasonable explanation, Pm them explain that due to THEIR actions they will no longer be considered for testing on ICmag.

Testers should have to apply directly to the breeder with info on how they would carry out the testing and not just put there name down on a list (far to easy to get free seeds). If testers cant be arsed to fill in a application how can they be arsed to carry out a test grow log that will run for a couple of months? Plus this would help find a wider spec for testing i.e. if 10 packs of seeds get sent out to 10 tester who all grow in soil indoors, this wouldnt help the breeder know how they perform in hydro and so on.
Just my 2 cents
all that fer $100 (max) worth of seeds? really? no thanx. i'll get my seeds the old fashion way...by buyin em! course i don't beg for cuts of 'elite' strains either. i'm weird like that. the fact that the only breeder in here is ad is telling. props to him! don't seem like many breeders are interested in having this conversation anyway.
:biggrin:

Calimed

Veteran
I like this concept a lot as I feel the testers that actually complete their grow reports don't get the respect that they should.

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
all that fer $100 (max) worth of seeds? really? no thanx. i'll get my seeds the old fashion way...by buyin em! course i don't beg for cuts of 'elite' strains either. i'm weird like that. the fact that the only breeder in here is ad is telling. props to him! don't seem like many breeders are interested in having this conversation anyway.

exactly why I would hate to see a "Official" downside added to testing.
I for one would rather lose beans than possible testers...

Also..

I/we need a name for what I am doing...
I dont consider myself a breeder (Yet)

Im a:
Student of the arts
S.O.T.A. just does not fly straight as an abbreviation...IMO...

Thanks for the props,MG...

I do wish some established breeders would come in and share their thoughts...
No one bite's around these parts...:biggrin:

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like this concept a lot as I feel the testers that actually complete their grow reports don't get the respect that they should.

This is exactly what Im hoping we can change...

They/we should get the respect that sharing ones time,energy,passion should and does deserve...

I thought "badge" yet love the Leaf idea more every day...

Tester Badge for Seedbay & Bou testers ?