What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WARNING! Other MJ Forums Hacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip

Veteran
A few days ago I warned our mods about going to another rival forum site because I got a virus warning when going to their homepage.

And yesterday another big mj forum got hacked and lost nearly a month of posts.

Now I'm sorry I didn't issue a general warning to everyone.

So now you are warned.

If you visit other mj websites you may be exposed to viruses/trojans. And these seem especially bad, as they are being used by hackers to capture passwords so they can take over accounts and possibly your computer.

Fortunately, I upgraded the security on icmag last month, but nothing is 100% secure.

If you use the same nic and/or password here as you do on other sites I suggest you change your password immediately..

UPDATE 3/18: After reading the reactions and admin responses on these other websites to what happened, I feel compelled to provide even more info on the risks involved, because these admins are shirking their responsibilities and possibly putting people at risk.

Here are some facts for everyone to think about:
1. Many websites were hacked using the SQL database injection method over the past week. When successful, hackers can do most anything to the database, including copying or deleting data. In fact, one of the things they did was insert new text into thousands of recent postings on some of those sites (only a few sites were mj related).

2. Most people are assuming that Anonymous was behind the hack, some people are even sympathetic with their goals. Admins are saying NOT TO WORRY because Anonymous is cool and they didn't copy any data, all they did was redirect people to view a political video. However, that was not the same experience I had. On one site I got directed to a page that popped up my anti-virus warning me about the page. It wasn't the same page that other people got redirected to on other sites apparently. And to make the assumption that Anonymous wouldn't release personal info into the public domain, is kinda strange, as that has been their M.O. for awhile now (esp. the splinter group, Lulzsec). I didn't watch the political video so I can't guess whether it was really anonymous or not behind the video and attacks.

What has happened with Anonymous/Lulzsec/Anti-Sec is these groups seek to acquire enough personal info to hack into personal accounts so they can release info on groups of people they target. I do agree that marijuana users in general would not be a logical target for them. Anonymous has always championed Free Speech, and attacked those who try to limit it. So I really don't think anyone need fear anonymous. But is that who is behind these attacks? I haven't seen any group take credit for it yet.

3. Other possibilities are that ppl were infected with a virus when they were taken to the redirected site (the reason why I've warned ppl to run a RootKit scan). That is the warning I got from my anti-virus which caught it. This would enable the hackers to take remote control of a victim's computer or read keystrokes to obtain passwords to accounts, esp. bank accounts and credit cards. If this were an Anonymous type of action, then they would just use your computer to attack other computers unless you are someone they've targeted.

4. I think the other admins should at least suggest their members change their passwords and do a full anti-virus scan.

No, imo, this was not about Anonymous. Perhaps that was just a cover. I'm leaning towards it being grey or black hats, looking to make some money, either thru extortion or theft of personal info. At this point the evidence I see points to that. But I have less info avail than the webmasters of these other hacked sites do, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Skip

Veteran
was one of the sites, under maintenance atm?
Yes, that was the one where I got the virus message a few days ago... I can't imagine how many ppl might've been compromised by that...

If you visited that site in the past week, I highly suggest you run a ROOT-KIT scan on your computer. It might be the only way to get rid of the virus.

I checked and see I got the warning about the virus on March 11th, 5 days ago.

Possible scenarios happening here:
1. Most likely: Hackers just wanting to spread trojan so they can take remote control of computers.
2. Likely: Hackers attempting to blackmail the sites involved.
3. Less Likely: Rival site wanting to bring down the others.
4. Even less likely, but possible: US Government hackers.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well happy this is the only one i visit...i am a member over at GC but i never go there as that site is a fucking daycare

any chance that you name the site in question you went to skip? or maybe just some initials?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i don't think i use the same nick on any of the sites i visit concerning anything that the popo might wanna try and lock me up for. no bread crumbs is my motto. besides i only post here for the most part concerning marihuana, any other sites im registered on are either gone now or i don't care about.

you can get spybot.

www.safer-networking.org

i used to use that other one ...adaware, but i havent used it since like the 90's or early 2000's so i can't really still recommend it. but spybot in safe mode will usually find and remove any kind of trojans and spywares. for boot virus there are free tools available at most antivirus websites that will find rootkits and remove them. some are for specific viruses, some are an umbrella. but if you google boot virus im sure you will find a ton of free tools to remove them.

jd4083

Veteran
From what I understand it was an exploit in vB script and several sites were attacked, not just RIU. So far there is no clear indication (to my eye at least) that the site in question was even targeted specifically. Just throwing that out there, no reason to make people think that this was some evil mastermind "hacking" into pot forums...hell, the website that the "hackers" put up all over that site looked like a geocities page from 1996...

so, ya know, everybody can put the pitchforks and burning torches down and stop freaking out for no reason. There's plenty of real shit to be scared about, save your paranoia for that. :tiphat:

Skip

Veteran
From what I understand it was an exploit in vB script and several sites were attacked,
Yes, one reason we decided not to upgrade to 4.x is the lack of security.

When vb was bought out, most of their top coders left as far as I know. It's never been the same since.

everybody can put the pitchforks and burning torches down and stop freaking out for no reason.
People who visit those other sites should SHOULD FREAK OUT because it's possible they've been infected by a virus, just as my anti-virus indicated.

And the vb exploit is ONLY the means by which they gain access to the server and its data. What they do then is up to the hacker...

They then insert code onto the sites pages that load up keyloggers, trojans, etc. That's how they can steal your passwords, CC info and take remote control of your computer. In the case of RIU, they lost a whole month of data.

There's not much worse that could happen, except maybe the US gov't being behind it, but I doubt it.

jd4083

Veteran
Yes, one reason we decided not to upgrade to 4.x is the lack of security.

When vb was bought out, most of their top coders left as far as I know. It's never been the same since.

People who visit those other sites should SHOULD FREAK OUT because it's possible they've been infected by a virus, just as my anti-virus indicated.

And the vb exploit is ONLY the means by which they gain access to the server and its data. What they do then is up to the hacker...

They then insert code onto the sites pages that load up keyloggers, trojans, etc. That's how they can steal your passwords, CC info and take remote control of your computer. In the case of RIU, they lost a whole month of data.

There's not much worse that could happen, except maybe the US gov't being behind it, but I doubt it.

The only people that have anything to really worry about are the ones who have paid for memberships with that site. Everybody else, myself included, needs a spyware scan and a bong hit.

We can agree to disagree...far worse things have happened and I don't like to worry unnecessarily, that's all. Just throwing in my $.02...thank you for the tip either way, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
RIU and TF

You need a good (usually paid for) anti-virus to do a root-kit scan. It should be updated.

i got my anti virus for free but it seems to be good, alot better that norton BS

i got ESET NOD32 antivirus 4.0.437.0

anyone know if this is a good one? its what my boy installed on my computer for free

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I stopped going there a long time ago. Some of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Glad I never joined.

Got a really long and random password made up of numbers and letters that is meaningless to me.

R.Fortune

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
Thanks for the heads up Skip. I did find it unusual that i had 14 infections about 2-3 days ago from my malware program that autoscans daily.

For anyone interested I use PC Tools Internet Security, its not free but any one interwebz savvy should be able to source it. Works great, even removed that despicable antivirus2012

Skip

Veteran
The only people that have anything to really worry about are the ones who have paid for memberships with that site. Everybody else, myself included, needs a spyware scan and a bong hit.

We can agree to disagree...far worse things have happened and I don't like to worry unnecessarily, that's all. Just throwing in my $.02...thank you for the tip either way, and I don't mean that sarcastically.
That's your opinion, and I have no idea what you base it on, unless you were involved in the hacks. And yes, all I'm saying is ppl need to run their antivirus. What else has been said that you think is wrong?

We are talking about what happened on TWO sites, not just one. And the one that I discovered the hack on took you to another website that loaded a trojan. So in at least one case it's not about whether you were a member or not, cause I'm not a member on either site, yet my computer was attacked.

FYI: I use zonealarm, and that's what stopped the virus from TF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.