What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC-CBD: Home potency test kits

Treevly

There is certainly some discussion on cannabis forums about home test kits, but I am surprised that there isn't more, given the amount of online discussion there is about other marijuanistic subjects. (I just made that up.) There seem to be two companies lead the charge in selling kits using Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) technology: Cannalytic Supply and THC Test Kits, in the area of $150 for the same kind of kit. Alpha-Cat is European a little more expensive, but perhaps not on a per-test basis.

On examining the two sites, I conclude that Cannalytics Supply has a somewhat slicker, more professional site, and is well written. However, the THC Test Kits site has an instructional video and links to live hands-on training courses in various locations in North America.

I started this thread in the hope that people with experience with such equipment might comment about what they think to be the best approach and/or product.

If I have broken any rules about mentioning brand names, I'll expect to hear about it.

Thanks

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The CBD thread only covers CBD. You will find links to the other home THC testing methods in the same thread. Bottom line, it's much less expensive to get the materials and do the tests yourself. ;)

Nothing wrong with a pre-made kit if it gets the job done for you, and you walk away smiling. :)

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i saw a video on a home test kit it involved putting a little bud in a vile adding chemicals shaking it then dropping solution on a paper graph. the color would spread out and have numbers measuring thc

U

useless.gardens

i use the cannalytics version. its a great way to get in some testing on strains you find from seed.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Useless - can you explain more about what we are looking at in your pictures?

dank.Frank

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought one to test for myself and those products I make for customers with chronic ailments.

While not a lab print out, it helps knowing relative values. I like it so far!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Useless - can you explain more about what we are looking at in your pictures?

dank.Frank

Thin-layer chromatography is performed on a sheet of glass, plastic, or aluminium foil, which is coated with a thin layer of adsorbent material, usually silica gel, aluminium oxide (alumina), or cellulose.

This kit will provide you with visual color indicators for the all of the following: GHC, THCV, CBG, CBNV, CBD substances and more in Medical Marijuana, There is testing for estimated THC % with visual indicators, and testing for acids and poisons

The kit is a good in providing a balanced product that provides a way for growers and product producers to analyze their products during production to produce these products and an alternative to laboratory testing.

There's color charts from previous certified base line tests to match with results and a THC % chart to match estimated % of THC and other chemicals. Represented as a chart of dots – each dot represents a % point. The larger the dot the more %, you compare the dots from your results to the ones on the chart; it is a basic chromatography way of testing substances.

Douglas' method is good for quick analysis for CBD.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What size samples do they use, and are the costs equal to the quick CBD test? I'm guessing the more re-usable sheets will increase the initial investment. As long as the other reagents are cheap, they could be comparable.

I'd love to know the approximate chemotypes of my plants. :)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have never been able to test edibles. The oil always spoiled the tests. Both TLC and the Beam tests were never clear with oil or butter.

Treevly

:party:

Well, what about an update. It's MAY 2020.

What is the state of test kits for the grower?
What is the cost?
Are they as accurate as lab tests, or near that?
What is your preferred brand?

Eh?