What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace mix keepers

JockBudman

Ahoy all, just thought I'd show some of my ace mix keepers. I took cuts from them after the showed sex, one plant by topping, the other by taking a small lower branch.

First up is one I'm calling Purple Queen. Not sure exactly what's in it but I'm going with some sort of Erdpurt cross maybe? Beautiful to look at and the colour really doesn't come across well enough in the photos. My plan for this one is to cross it with seedsman's African Buzz - which throws purple phenos and I'll f2 if I need to to get a purple male - to create a nice ornamental cross. And improve the smell which, at the moment, is very earthy and mushroomy. Not a fan I'm afraid. I've also heard erdpurt needs a long cure to be good so I'll not know potency for a while but I'm hoping a purple Malawi cross will give it a more sativa dimension, as the plant looks very hashy.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=78364&pictureid=1891766

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=78364&pictureid=1891765

Next is this beast. Not really settled on a name yet but I'm going with Wispy for now because the buds are very thin and, well, wispy. Smell is kind of spicy and woody. Hard to nail down really, not too potent. Again I have no clue what it is but I'm guessing more on the sativa side of the spectrum, which is what I look for in a plant and smoke. The clone of this I just rooted so hopefully it'll pull through. If not I'll reveg it as I'm already doing that with one plant from this run.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=78364&pictureid=1891764

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=78364&pictureid=1891763

I ran these with three other ace mix and five mandala safari mix. The plan was to breed the best males from either side with the best females and then work some lines. Unfortunately - and it feels strange to say that - I got only one male from each five plants. The Mandala hermd so I only had the ace male and didn't get enough pollen through poor collection techniques. Not really a problem though as I have these two keepers plus two Mandala keepers - Mango and Bubblegum. Although I need to reveg bubblegum as I killed the clone. It's amazing though, the plant actually smells like bubblegum. I've tried bubblegum strains before and never found one so this one definitely needs saved. I want to cross it to Nirvanas bubblelicious for yield :smokeit::smokeit:

Ganja gu brah :joint:

deepwaterdude

Damn, and they sound really nice;) I think there's an easier way to link to the photos, but I usually upload from home instead of making an album. Syd would know;)

JockBudman

Hope this works

Purple Queen

picture.php

picture.php

Wispy

picture.php

picture.php

deepwaterdude

Yep, can see 'em now. The appropriately named queen is dank, very nice, looks very much like a tighter violeta. Those fat leaves are epic, never seen that. If you had a clone I wouldn't hesitate to run that in a scrog, be massive, yieldwise. Wispy looks Orient Express-ish. Nice plants, welcome aboard;o)

JockBudman

Thanks deepwaterdude. I've just checked the stats and descriptions on the violeta and orient express and I think you've pretty much nailed it. That's actually really interesting as I hadn't considered either of those as possibilities and they aren't strains I would have bought from the ace catalogue so I'm interested to see how they smoke up.

If the Purple Queen is a violeta cross then she's part Purple Malawi so now I'm more excited than before about crossing her to another Purple Malawi male. Might mean I only need to do one F1 cross to get a good representation of what I want rather than taking them to f2 and backcrossing like I'd planned.

Wispy I'm not sure what I want to do with. I'll see how she smokes then maybe run her again. Ultimately I'd like to cross her and Purple Queen into more Mandala mix and see what I get. I'm looking to create a big mixed seed mix for myself to just play around with.

There's actually another ace plant I tried to clone but it was in with my Bubblegum clone that got mold so I killed it. I think I'll probably reveg her with Bubblegum - I originally thought that her and Wispy were related and so I didn't care much about the loss, but now she's developing a much different bud structure so might be a better smoke 😋 always got to hedge your bets.

JockBudman

Meant to say; a scrog sounds great but the Purple Queen is unlikely to go in one. I tend to grow multiple strains at once to get variety. I'll bear it in mind if I ever settle on a few clones though :tiphat:

JockBudman

Here's some shots of the other one I want to reveg. Has a nice smell of citrus and spice. Again, no clue what it is but it looks like it should be good :joint:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

JockBudman

Hey all, just a quick update to show the colour and progress on the Purple Queen. Her and wispy have maybe a week or so left so I'll save wispy for the harvest shots the Queen looked good last night so I had to take some photos :canabis:

picture.php

One with flash

picture.php

And one without

Ganja gu brah y'all :joint:

JockBudman

Ok so, it's Halloween and that means death! Wispy has come down at just over 10 weeks in flower trichs are mostly cloudy, maybe a few clear here and there. She looks like one I wanna catch the early buzz on and I'm running low on herb waiting for my Amherst Sour Diesel to finish up - was meant to be cut two weeks ago but still pushing loads of new pistils on top though so I'll wait a week more I guess. I'm actually smoking a branch of it I chopped the other day because it was done (like just one totally done branch on its own :p)

Anyway, turns out this diesel is a good trip because I've forgotten what the fuck I'm talking about :D

So... Yeah, wispy is down and here's some preharvest photos:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looking at the photos it looks like there's way more white pistils than there is in real life. Definitely on the early side of done for me but luckily the clone is revegging away happily so I can do a few and stagger the harvest in future

She also looks to me less like an Orient express than I first thought. I actually went through all the ace threads on here to compare strains and phenotypes and the only one which had a similar flower structure (as far as I could see) was Honduras - which is impossible when she's done at 72 days from flip. I can't see a cross shaving off 6 weeks either so I'm lost

Whatever she is, I'll be back with a smoke report in a bit when she's dry and had some time to cure

brickweeder

JB, that 2nd closeup photo of the bud resembles the China Yunnan bud structure (with less density), so that may indeed be Orient Express

JockBudman

JB, that 2nd closeup photo of the bud resembles the China Yunnan bud structure (with less density), so that may indeed be Orient Express

I see what you mean - it's very similar but a lot less dense. I'd dismissed it because the plant is very narrow leafed so I was leaning more in the sativa direction. I'll go back to Orient express for now then

I'm looking forward to the smoke on this, I'm already thinking of crossing with an Afghan for this structure with more density :kos:

JockBudman

The circle of life...

The circle of life...

Just a quick update for anyone watching or just passing through - as the Purple Queen comes close to harvest, I got a clone of her rooted. The circle begins again.

I figured I'd get some photos and show her and her mother plant to celebrate my success as I've only just started trying to clone and was meant to have two of these but one died sadly. Anyways, here she is

picture.php

And here's her mum in the veg space with the Mandala "mango" cut I'm vegging as well and some other plants. The clone was taken in early flower and revegged, hence the odd look

picture.php

And a few others where you can actually see the plant

picture.php

picture.php

Ganja gu brah y'all :joint:

JockBudman

The Queen is dead... Long live the Queen

The Queen is dead... Long live the Queen

Purple Queen is down. This is probably the most beautiful plant I've ever grown, absolutely stunning cross. I'm seeing more of the Malawi side of violeta coming through at the end here and I'm very excited to see how she smokes. The smell is hard to describe - almost like mushrooms but with a hint of something else that I can't pin down.
The best part really is the flower structure which is solid to the point where I don't think it'll change much as it sets and is also really spectacular to look at - I think those crowns show just why I called her a Queen.

On with the photos

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

JockBudman

Just a quick shot of the dried Purple Queen buds.

picture.php

She's in the jar now to cure and I've had a few smokes already - don't have the luxury of leaving shit to cure for months when money and weed is tight - and all I can say is I'm glad I took a cut. She's got a lovely high, nice and uplifting, a bit racy but puts you in a good mood. A low yield but worth it for a top smoke and some really pretty buds.

Nice! Looks great man.

Do you know when you got this mix pack? I got one this summer and wondering if I would have any similar genetics

brickweeder

Infinite,

i made a pass through the various ace mix threads a while back and saved the info dubi posted about the mix make-up...here is his info that is close to your purchase date:

6/14/18
ACE mix contains faster flowering genetics for indoor and outdoor growing, while Tropical Mix contains longer flowering sativas for outdoor growing in hot or tropical places.

ACE Mix standard currently contains hybrids of ErdPurt, Orient Express, Bangi Haze and Lebanese.

Tropical Mix standard currently contains Honduras, Ethiopian, Oldtimer's Haze and Zamaldelica.

JockBudman

Just a quick one to show this girl I took down on Sunday

picture.php

picture.php

She's the one I was planning to reveg so the carcass is in the veg space. Smell is kind of lemony, creamy and spicy. Don't have a name for her yet but if she smokes good she stays.

Speaking of which, wispy has had some time in the jar and I've taken a few smokes along the way. I have to say she's a bit weak for my tastes, a nice clear headed high but it just lacks something. In contrast the purple Queen is like a shot of floaty espresso - much better.
I'm thinking of running her again though, and making concentrate for vaping. I think it could be a good high for daytime use but tonight I had to smoke a spliff of sour diesel afterwards to get lit.

Also there's this one, one of the few of the ace mix that started this left.

picture.php

picture.php

Not sure what she is apart from fucking stinky - she reeks of burnt rubber and for that alone I'm considering trying to keep this one too. I've not mentioned her up til now because she really wasn't much to look at. The buds were tiny and she looked like she was dying for ages, just really ugly, but in the last few weeks she's really come into her own.

I guess if anyone is passing through, wondering if they should get a pack of these seeds then just do it. I planted five and I'm on the verge of keeping the four females I got and still have five more plants to look through. Obviously I'll be running things again and start whittling them down but all of them deserve a second run for one reason or another and to find such good plants in a cheap mix just shows how good ace are.

Latest posts

Latest posts