What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Sport Farmer

Veteran
G `day SF

re the orange pistils .
They don`t shrink into the calyx when the plant is fully matured ?

The tales of red hair skunk fascinate me . Red pistils on dried herb signal early pick to me .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hey Elmer!

Quite the opposite, actually! The middle photo is the plant fully matured about to be chopped. You can see the fade on the background leaves and little yellow around the cola itself. Covered in red hairs when dried! The calyx turn this dark vibrant magenta but get buried inside the tighter buds towards finish.

:tiphat:

Dr green thumb also swears by the Iranian and uses it a lot
Care to explain where Hassan came from in Iran?
I may be able to track her down if she really thrashes west coast elites

Hassan is an Iranian land race that was selected by drug lords back in the 80's. I have been smoking her since 95', and only a select group of people know about her. Hassan is a true hidden gem in the cannabis world. The people that know about her, lost her a long time ago.

I managed re-acquire this cut about 5 years ago. I traded an ATV, a grip of gold, some seeds and buds. Totally worth it. :tiphat:

I don't have any real good genetics just now, but I can relate to having a short-sighted country! My state is in the best agricultural region of the entire country and is letting everyone else beat us to the starting line when it comes to cannabis. I wish we'd at least do like Oregon and all personal use/growing even if we don't allow business. I'm going to try to start some plants this fall once the property is ready and all the county inspectors have been through it. Maybe once I'm done dumping every penny I have into this place we'll have some money left over to start collecting some good genes. Maybe you can sell what you have when the new seed bay site ever gets done?

Lucky for me, it's only my county, not country. I live in cali, and my county officials are taking forever. As for seed bay site, I doubt gypsy wants my beans. I have offered before. :tiphat:

Klompen

Hassan is an Iranian land race that was selected by drug lords back in the 80's. I have been smoking her since 95', and only a select group of people know about her. Hassan is a true hidden gem in the cannabis world. The people that know about her, lost her a long time ago.

I managed re-acquire this cut about 5 years ago. I traded an ATV, a grip of gold, some seeds and buds. Totally worth it. :tiphat:

Wow that sounds like quite the interesting genetics! Land race lines get far too little attention outside of gene collectors, but they often are some of the best smokes. For all the attention that selective crosses get, its easy to forget just how good a job nature does sometimes all on its own. Generally the yield or the finishing times are not equal to the really fancy stuff, but the drug profile is just so much more interesting. This is certainly true of tropical sativas. I was growing Colombian Gold before the AC went out and killed all my plants, and there was nothing special about its yield or finishing times; the smoke though has a good reputation for a reason and the plant cloned beautifully. I didn't trade any gold or vehicles for it though lol

Lucky for me, it's only my county, not country. I live in cali, and my county officials are taking forever. As for seed bay site, I doubt gypsy wants my beans. I have offered before.:tiphat:

I'm in the Midwest, but around here its not looking likely we'll even see medical bud any time soon. "Nug" is typically 400 dollars an ounce or more and usually is pretty generic stuff. The home grower scene here is almost entirely outdoor stuff that gets pollinated by the abundant local hemp and is packed with seeds. Also, it seems like a lot of growers here just don't know when to pick stuff or don't have a long enough season to properly mature in. If you ever do get a seed business going please let me know. I've been homeless for the last year due to a long and complicated story involving petty local bureaucrats doing a land grab, but we're finally going to have a place to live again this fall as soon as we can get the property ready. I'd eventually like to get a respectable mom chamber going with a good variety of genetics in it. Unless it goes legal though I'm not likely to be producing at any serious scale though. I am currently building some LED fixtures to light it all with, but I have a lot of other stuff to figure out too.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Folks

Talkin Land Races and heirlooms
I have yet to see really good quality herb grown by traditional farmers .

Picked early or late ,doused with pesticides, seeded , sun dried , over dried ,dried by fires , put in piles -allowed get hot and compost , bricked and never manicured.
Those aint the methods I use to produce the primo here .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

PDX Dopesmoker

G `day Folks

Talkin Land Races and heirlooms
I have yet to see really good quality herb grown by traditional farmers .

Picked early or late ,doused with pesticides, seeded , sun dried , over dried ,dried by fires , put in piles -allowed get hot and compost , bricked and never manicured.
Those aint the methods I use to produce the primo here .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I don't see how subsistence farmers' growing maximum weight for minimum expense and cutting every possible corner along the way necessarily impugns the quality of the seeds they're using.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Nirvana NLxShiva:
picture.php

picture.php

Nirvana Haze19xSkunk:
picture.php

picture.php

:wave:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
I don't see how subsistence farmers' growing maximum weight for minimum expense and cutting every possible corner along the way necessarily impugns the quality of the seeds they're using.

G `day PDX

Right on .
I used the same thinking when I used to grow from bag seeds .

Picked at the wrong stage , handled roughly , over dried , seeded ,
Not manicured .

I knew if I grew the seeds from it , the potential for better end product was obviously there .

But don`t be fooled into thinking . Traditional farmers use western methods .
Or understand cannabis on the level us pot snobs do .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
The Nature Farm Genetics gave a guy a cut of his PRE 1995 Sensi Black Domina and won the 2017 Humboldt Cup.
Another 1 for Old School.

A lot of these old genetics are still around as cuts, and some the full lines, but that is more rare. All kinds are available as hybrids, and really really potent hybrids.

When I ordered seeds from Holland in the mid 80s, the POST MARK THE SEEDS CAME FROM WAS SENT FROM SANTA BARBARA CALIFORNIA. Just Sayin.

The guy from The Nature Farm Genetics has more shit than god, from which he got from his dad, and theyre in the heart of Norcal.

Hes going to be releaseing all kinds of stuff in a few days.

Hes got original Skunk, and has also backcrossed to more isolate the RKS phenos, and chose 4-5 females/Males from over 200 plants to breed. He will also have Open Pollination.

This i the same line that was stolen from Sacred Seeds in the 70s, and was taken to holland, after it had much of the Rank Skunk bred out of it.

Also though there are RKS phenos, nobody claims this to be an RKS LINE.

He will also have a 90s Sensi Super Skunk, bred to his Sk18, and says the Super Skunk isthe rankest, and will give the closest tomore consistent RKS.

THF also has the PURE 90s SENSI Sk1, and will eventually have to for sale as a PURE LINE, and he will also have a cross of his Sk18, and the Sensi Sk1. The Sensi Sk1 is sweeter vs his. Theres no sweet in Sk18. Its all rank, and reeks. There are hints of floral, but its mostly all gas, chemicals, skunk, garlic, and onions

The will also have these elite cuts crossed with the Sk18

Red Lebanese Hashplant. Worked Drug Line.
Nepali Hashplant
Pacific Northwest Hashplant... This is the same cut that was taken to Holland, and given to Nevil to creat HIS Hashplant Strain. It was crossed to Heirloom NL#1. HE got an F2 Male, and then bred that back into the mother PNW HP.

PRE 1995 White Widow.
1989 NL5
89 UK Cheese
PRE 95 Sensi Black Domina.. TNF gave these genes to a friend, and they won the 2017 Humboldt Cup.... TNF also gave this cut to Bob Hemphill... Coastal Seed Company/Eqgenetics
Afghan #7 IBL
79 Romulan... TNF Gave Bob Hemphill the 79 Romulan cut.
Hemphill/Coastal Seed Company use a few cuts from TNF for his Heirloom Male NL1 crosses
Sensi 90s Master Kush
Triabgle Kush
Kerala
Sana Cruz Blue Dream
Santa Marta x Afghan
Pure Columbian Gold
Pre95 WW/NL

Coastal has these NL1 Male crosses with some old genes
UFO.. 79 Romulan x NL1
Black Lights.. Pre95 Black Domina x NL1
Fourora Borealis.. Fairfax 4 Way x NL1
Puck Yeah.. NL1 x Skelly Hashplant.. They say Skelly.. AKA PUCK Cut is the most sought after of all the PNW HP cuts. This comes from Nevils 80s Hashplant genetics. Skelly was found in 1989.

Dominion Seed Company
Dominion Skunk
Chem91 VA x Skelly Hashplan/SSSC Sk1.
SSSC is Super Sativa Seed Club and came from the early/Mid 80s.
Nevil went on to get all of SSSC original gear.

Duke Diamond Va has some killer genetics.
Local Skunk.
( Original Diesel x Cuddlefish Hashplant Female ) x Sour Diesel IBL x Skelly/SSSC Sk1 Male
Granny Skunk...95 VA Afghani x Skelly/SSSC Sk1
Sis Skunk..Chem Sister x Skelly/SSSC Sk1.

Hes also going to release other stuff in a month or so.

Swami Organic Seeds.

Has to many to list.

All of these people have tons of photos on Instagram, and from people who have, and are growing their gear.

Does no good to put strains in cart. When you come back to finish few hours later someone else will just buy it out from under you. Yay

ambertrichome

Veteran
You cant leave stuff in the cart. To many people leave stuff in the cart for days at a time, and ties things up.
Ive lost out too. But people do this on purpose, and ties stuff up.
If you don't pay for it as soon as possible, its fair game.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Dr green thumb also swears by the Iranian and uses it a lot
Care to explain where Hassan came from in Iran?
I may be able to track her down if she really thrashes west coast elites

I was going to get some from him but it's just too expensive. No one's that good with all the alternatives available.

ambertrichome

Veteran
DGT is a ripoff. I guarantee you if Iranian ect... "Thrashes" West Coast Elites, the WCE would have it.
Some elite cuts have gone for over $20,000 Cash, not to mention limbs, and the promise of a pound of flesh on down the road. After you recover from where they also required 1 arm, and an eyeball.

Theres a reason many of the WCE have been around... 1979 is the earliest I know.... Original Romulan cut pre 1980 is still alive.

Hydro8

The 90s had a few decent strains Blueberry, NL, Skunk,

Now 2018 in legal states we have just as good strains but many more of them.

ambertrichome

Veteran
90s had more than a few decent strains, and all those you mentioned have roots going back to the 60s - 70s.

NL.. all of its different versions were started by The Indian in 1975.. Blueberry?? Mid 70s Thai who DJ Short got from BOEL...Skunk started in the 60s.

All these new stupid name strains are weak, and watered down. Ive smoked stuff that was supposed to be 30%, and was a total let down vs our home grown here in Ky.

There is alot of good stuff in legal states, but in general, dispenseraries arent going to have what I want.

Go run ya down some real Colorado Cough. Skelly Hashplant. PNW Hashplant. Pure top quality Original Haze.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
90s had more than a few decent strains, and all those you mentioned have roots going back to the 60s - 70s.

NL.. all of its different versions were started by The Indian in 1975.. Blueberry?? Mid 70s Thai who DJ Short got from BOEL...Skunk started in the 60s.

All these new stupid name strains are weak, and watered down. Ive smoked stuff that was supposed to be 30%, and was a total let down vs our home grown here in Ky.

There is alot of good stuff in legal states, but in general, dispenseraries arent going to have what I want.

Go run ya down some real Colorado Cough. Skelly Hashplant. PNW Hashplant. Pure top quality Original Haze.

G` day AT

No wrong again .
The Indian did not breed Northern Lights .

He had a son in the armed Forces . The NL Crew are Vietnam Vets .
They gave him plants and equipment to help him out till his boy came home

. He used to sell pot brownies at the ferry terminal .
Jorge Cervantes introduced him to Nevil . The NL crew had already shunned Nevil . When he went to the PNW they were not able to be contacted . So he got an intro to the Indian . Who had inferior NL to the NL crew .

Its very convenient that the Romulan clone has the date of manufacture stamped on it so no can ever forget when I was 1st grown . lol .

Oh and re BOEL
I listened to a Calacamus Coot interiew recently.
The ONE , Blue Orca etc are from 1978 . Long after the BOEL were in jail . Never once mentioned BOEL in his extensive description of its make up and selection .
Or himself having any association other than the neighborhood he lived .

He also said the Dutch seeds he bought were crap . That he grew them once re pro ed then shelved them . Reckons the ONE is the ultimate smoke in 40 years . Maybe a little biased ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hydro8

Here in Colorado we have tons of people all trying to make their own famous strain so their is thousands of this and that mixed with this and that ? who knows what it really is. usally smells and tastes ok but the high is midgrade.

Sometimes gems gets born, Bruce Banner, Golden Goat, Coal Creek Kush, we get some good ones out of Cali also SoCal Al, the Purps

I like OGs and Cookies but am board of them right now.

For me it is about the high, I look for uplifting, good vibe, psychedelic qualities solid 1-3hr high with smooth come down.

So many to choose from now days.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
And WTF is it with bcseeds? 8k for 5? That must be a joke. I mean Silver Gorilla Fart No2 even sounds like a joke.

It would have to taste like slow roasted unicorn.

ambertrichome

Veteran
G` day AT

No wrong again .
The Indian did not breed Northern Lights .

He had a son in the armed Forces . The NL Crew are Vietnam Vets .
They gave him plants and equipment to help him out till his boy came home

. He used to sell pot brownies at the ferry terminal .
Jorge Cervantes introduced him to Nevil . The NL crew had already shunned Nevil . When he went to the PNW they were not able to be contacted . So he got an intro to the Indian . Who had inferior NL to the NL crew .

Its very convenient that the Romulan clone has the date of manufacture stamped on it so no can ever forget when I was 1st grown . lol .

Oh and re BOEL
I listened to a Calacamus Coot interiew recently.
The ONE , Blue Orca etc are from 1978 . Long after the BOEL were in jail . Never once mentioned BOEL in his extensive description of its make up and selection .
Or himself having any association other than the neighborhood he lived .

He also said the Dutch seeds he bought were crap . That he grew them once re pro ed then shelved them . Reckons the ONE is the ultimate smoke in 40 years . Maybe a little biased ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Your wrong again, and MANY guys from BOEL are Still alive, and had the old genetics. BOEL still has gathering each year in San Fran. You do know that?? Members STILL Gather. Last BOEL guy was arrested in 2010. Mr Greengens is still live and well on Instagram.. He was also BOEL. He never went to jail. He stabilized the Cherry Bomb/Maui in 1979.

Not all the BOEL went to jail dude. WRONG. Some even got convicted, and did 0000 jail time.

I can also say after growing the Blue Orca Haze for more than a year, very damn little of todays weed can compare to it.

Ive not smoked, or grown 1 strain from Mr Nice that can carry the tampon of my BOH. Ive grown no less than 8 Mr Nice strains, and the BOH is at least 2-3x more potent than anything Mr Nice has. People been getting sick on the BOH. My buddies wife whos 60, and been smoking since the 70s says its the most pleasant, euphoric, introspective weed shes ever smoked. Its not for inexperienced smokers. 1 toke, and you know your in for a ride. She couldn't stop laughing for 2 hours. But it can be a long rough ride for the inexperienced.

Ive grown the BOH, have you??? Have you smoked it?? I doubt it, you being in Oz. Lots of stuff you aint getting sir.

Indian was in the 70s, long before Nevil. 1975 is when he started.

Some even say it was before the Indian in Pre 75, but is not validated, and considered untrue.

But the Indian was more than 10 years BEFORE NEVIL GOT IT. COOT got it in 1984, and still has it, as does Gascanastan. They were going to have the 84 NL5 x 88 NL5/Hz cross, but the fires fucked them up.

Ive also grown the old NL5/Haze from Swami. Have you?? Shit goes 84-100 days. Nothing like Mr Nice version. NOTHING. Though SOME, not all are more Indica leaning vs Mr Nice/Greenhouse, but is Pure Sativa in the high. Plant get really big/tall.

According to most sources, it is believed that NLs were created on the 70’s by a breeder known as “The Indian” on an island near Seattle, WA, although others claim that the strain originated in California before The Indian started growing it.
The story goes that there were 11 Northern Lights plants (labeled #1-#11), being #5 and #1 the best ones.

Some say they are all 100% Indica, but people who were there, say the NL5 is Sativa Leaning, and is like clay on a stick. They do say it may have a bit of Indica in it.

Neville used Afghani males to hybridize and inbreed the different Northern Lights females he was given, and Thai Sativa genes were later introduced into some of the NL hybrids. Northern Lights #1 seems to be a true-breeding Afghani IBL, while NL#2 is a very potent NL#1 x Hindu Kush hybrid (which is actually Dutch Passion’s Oasis). It is believed that NL#5 was the best plant of the bunch, so it is probably the only NL female from the original 11 plants that has been kept pure. It has been used to develop tens of outstanding hybrids over time. Also, two males were selected from this different hybrids, labeled #1 and #2, which were used to develop several strains from The Seed Bank catalog.

The Romulan dates back to the Korean War, and was brought back sometime between 1950-53, and was Sativa Dom. Sacred Seeds was the original holder of the genes since the 50s, before ratman worked with the feds, and stole all the genetics.

The 79 Romulan Cut signifies before it was heavily Hybridized with Indica, and is a true cut from 1979.

The Kandahar genes of The ONE, and Blue Orca are from 1971. The father Thai genes are from 1976. BO, and The ONE were found around 1983/84. Genes are from the Early/Mid 70s, and I can verify, its Very Potent. The ONE is Sativa Dom, and BO is Indica Dom. The One can go up to 100 days.

Last edited: