What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Haze thread ...

JohnnyChicago

The high of these 50-100% Original Hazes is somewhat different to what we know nowadays. Its unbelievable. When you are high you literally can feel how much work has been put in that strain.

picture.php

A pic of my Panama x Ohaze keeper. Pure hazy incense, with no skunk and no lime at all in the smoke. Almost 100% sativa, if not 100%.
Found her out of 2 seeds! (but both were good and incensey)
Needs 13 weeks, pic is from day 29.

bestothebest

Have you tried any of Swami’s work? I’m getting their NL5Haze f5 line from the ‘88 release. I also may get some ssh and mango haze from 2005 to repro, so good stuff there. Also trying Shantis current Angels Breathe and Grail Widow. The grail widow is his selected Nevs Haze cut x widow so that should have some more promise. I’m just grabbing a little bit of everything and hoping for the best.

OldCoolSativa

@JohnnyChicago, can you give some insight into how and why you selected the three males you did for progeny testing? You said you grew out 40+ plants, so you must've seen a bunch of males. Why did you keep those three?

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I bought 2 10 packs last year. They were basically the last 2 10 packs available anywhere.

As far as I know grinspoon was out of production. Last time I emailed barneys they said they were working on a rerelease which to me sounded like possibly changing parent stock.

It's a fem strain so I assume it's an s1 or something if they had to recreate it it's with a new mother.

They don't say what the genetics are but from my experience it's got to be some kind of dutch haze variety but not pure sativa as there is an indica pheno to be found and a few hybrid looking ones.

My keeper cut defintiely has some indica influence but has the best attributes of a haze like long running buds, very high calyx to leaf ratio, high yield and an incense smell. It's the best plant I have found in the last 10 years.

The best plant i found before this one was mns ssh from 07. I didn't clone it but that plant was pure frankincense. Un fucking believeable haven't seen one like that since.

Im growing Grinspoon. I bought 15 seeds and left 20 seeds for someone else from the last place that had them. I searched for over an hour to find those seeds. That was April 14th last year.

I already grew four plants outdoors, and have clones of those indoors in veg, and will also be making seeds with them.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I also have a very nice Indica leaning Grinspoon. Big buds and a very special flavor, and very potent.
I harvested several ounces.
Cheers!
DP

kokomarin

I was and i will grow grinspoons,and reseller for my area still have few pacs.
I didnt find indica ,but big buds and glue wich produce the best high this season.
Nevil and some grinspoons is just metallic with colder and weaker high.
my nevil(ghs) smell like canned fish :)

JohnnyChicago

Have you tried any of Swami’s work? I’m getting their NL5Haze f5 line from the ‘88 release. I also may get some ssh and mango haze from 2005 to repro, so good stuff there. Also trying Shantis current Angels Breathe and Grail Widow. The grail widow is his selected Nevs Haze cut x widow so that should have some more promise. I’m just grabbing a little bit of everything and hoping for the best.

If I were you I would try Ojd's Hazes and Chimeras Simply Irresistible. But I never tried Swami, nor Shantis recent seed stock. Last thing I have tried was Chimeras Incense Haze and I promised myself to never buy (untested) hyped seeds again.

JohnnyChicago

@JohnnyChicago, can you give some insight into how and why you selected the three males you did for progeny testing? You said you grew out 40+ plants, so you must've seen a bunch of males. Why did you keep those three?

In short, I discarded circa 25% during the first 2 weeks, another 25% during initial stretch, 2/3 of the rest were females, had only 6 males left and kept the 3 best. I remember I called male#1 "the stinkiest" before I knew he was a male. He was the smelliest of all in veg, had the thickest stems, the widest leafs and had the most compact growth.
Same with male#3. I called him "the sexiest"and was able to smell something special out of its leafs before he outed as male and he was the last one to show sex.

All the other OH's had pretty much the same growth and smell. Male#2 was kept because out of the last 4 males he was the best representative of Original Haze. In his crosses I had similar restults I had with the OHxPCK crosses I tested.

Last edited:

OldCoolSativa

In short, I discarded circa 25% during the first 2 weeks, another 25% during initial stretch, 2/3 of the rest were females, had only 6 males left and kept the 3 best. I remember I called male#1 "the stinkiest" before I knew he was a male. He was the smelliest of all in veg, had the thickest stems, the widest leafs and had the most compact growth.
Same with male#3. I called him "the sexiest"and was able to smell something special out of its leafs before he outed as male and he was the last one to show sex.

All the other OH's had pretty much the same growth and smell. Male#2 was kept because out of the last 4 males he was the best representative of Original Haze. In his crosses I had similar results I had with the OHxPCK crosses I tested.

Thanks for that. So you discarded 25% of the seedlings at 2 weeks into flower or at 2 weeks from seed? What characteristics were you keeping and discarding? Again, what were your selection criteria during the stretch? Looking for plants that stretched least?

I ask because I've only been growing for a year but am interested in some hobby breeding and want to understand how breeders make their selection decisions, and your breeding goals are aligned with mine.

I kept a couple males from my recent Angel's Breath grow and the haze-leaner male that I liked had essentially no smell through about 5 weeks of flowering. I haven't tested his progeny yet, and because nothing about that male except the structure seemed interesting, I wasn't sure whether it would be worth the effort to test his progeny.
Then someone showed me this old post from Joshua Hazen on the MNS forum:

Just so you know for future reference, generally when working with haze strains, males with little smell, are often the most haze like, and stoniest.
Next time, you may want to try smoking the leaf before you cull it, if it is from a haze line, you may be shocked by how stony it is.

It would seem that you did the final selection of your males for progeny testing based on a whiff you got during veg. Excellent work.

I appreciate any information you care to share with me. Thanks.

Raho

Veteran
Smoke test the tops of the males just before they start making clusters.
Clip a few from the sides of the plant near the top and let them dry on a computer or cable box or something warm since you'll be in a hurry.
Tops like this from a good sativa male will get you blasted.

JohnnyChicago

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just so you know for future reference, generally when working with haze strains, males with little smell, are often the most haze like, and stoniest.
Next time, you may want to try smoking the leaf before you cull it, if it is from a haze line, you may be shocked by how stony it is
[/FONT]

This may be ture for Haze hybrids, but not for Original Haze.
Breeding with OH is easy. Almost every male will improve the strain it's crossed with. This has been stated by the breeder many times and I can only confirm this. Females do not breed that well (did also some testing on the seeds I did with females) That's one of the things Im trying to say with this thread, look at the males.

But with Haze hybrids I would not use a male but would cross my favourite hazy female with an inbred male.

JohnnyChicago

no? females don't breed well??? and what about OH x skunk1? not good?

Why no good? Do you really think the breeder used only 5 packs of "cheap" Seedsman seeds to select the mother of that strain?

I have progeny tested 3 males and 5 females that had been selected out of 5 packs of Seedman's Original Haze and the progeny of the males is by far better. That's all what Im saying.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
This may be ture for Haze hybrids, but not for Original Haze.
Breeding with OH is easy. Almost every male will improve the strain it's crossed with. This has been stated by the breeder many times and I can only confirm this. Females do not breed that well (did also some testing on the seeds I did with females) That's one of the things Im trying to say with this thread, look at the males.

But with Haze hybrids I would not use a male but would cross my favourite hazy female with an inbred male.

this sounds like general statement and that's why I react. even OldCoolSativa used word "generally" in his/her question... either way cant comment your haze experience much if its limited to 50 seeds of cheap haze seeds.. though I don't understand term cheap seeds.

bigbadbiddy

It's not his work. He's just bastardized it for profit. Gascan is a crook and a liar.

I'd quit growing cannabis before I grew a seed from him.

dank.Frank

So the whole thing with it being old seed stock from Clackamas Coot (some of which he got from Nevil etc.) that was revived is not true?

JohnnyChicago

this sounds like general statement and that's why I react. even OldCoolSativa used word "generally" in his/her question... either way cant comment your haze experience much if its limited to 50 seeds of cheap haze seeds.. though I don't understand term cheap seeds.

Im only sharing my experience with Original Haze and its crosses and comparing it with the Hazes I had in the past. Only statement I do is that the incense trait can be found in Original haze and that the incense I have found is the nearest thing to A5 I have had in the past 10years.

If you ask me to choose between C5 and my Panama Haze I would choose Panama Haze all the time.

When I think OH seeds were only 18$ ...

Last edited:

JohnnyChicago

Im not a breeder, but I probably have put more time in this little project, than most of the so-called breeders in their strains.

Next thing I will do is a NL5 selection to cross with the incense male.
dank.frank's description of Atomics NL5 sounds exactly like the kind of NL5 Im looking for.
Also crossing him to some elite clones and then I will kill or share him.

I've sorted 3 packs of Dr. Atomic NL, but for the most part, it wasn't what I was after. There was one really good plant that smelt identical to the rest on a stem rub, but it's resin profile was very pine sap smelling. The effects were very giggly and dumb. It was really enjoyable cannabis. Next to impossible to separate from the siblings until flower though, which made it difficult to keep. The line is certainly worth sorting. I'd say it is perfect lazy day video game weed, though, not quite the full narcotic potency I seek.

JohnnyChicago

Im not a breeder, but I probably have put more time in this little project, than most of the so-called breeeders have put in their strains.

Next thing I will do is a NL5 selection to cross with the incense male.
dank.frank's description of Atomics NL5 sound exactly like the kind of NL5 Im looking for.
Also crossing him to some elite clones and then I will kill or share him, but not before I have seen him flowering outdoors :)

I've sorted 3 packs of Dr. Atomic NL, but for the most part, it wasn't what I was after. There was one really good plant that smelt identical to the rest on a stem rub, but it's resin profile was very pine sap smelling. The effects were very giggly and dumb. It was really enjoyable cannabis. Next to impossible to separate from the siblings until flower though, which made it difficult to keep. The line is certainly worth sorting. I'd say it is perfect lazy day video game weed, though, not quite the full narcotic potency I seek.