What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat users

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Thought I'd start up a thread for anybody using blumats in coco, I'm picking up some maxi's next week and wanted to know if you guys had any hints and tips to getting them working perfectly. Looking to pick some brains :D

Was a lil concerned with blockages, as my water is hard @ 0.5EC I'll be using drip clean to try minimize problems . Will also be using Canna coco nutrients and Airpots (6L) for some white x killer queen just going into bloom.

I'd appreciate the guidance to help getting these blumats dialled in.

Oh, & happy new year btw

:thank you:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lazyman is probably your best ticket for blumats in coco, I think he is running a bunch of them. I'm not in coco, but the best way I've found for dialing them in is to bring the media to the soil content you want (I water to runoff and let the plants sit for 24-36 hours), and then put the blumats in and adjust them to a clinging drop. This tends to hold the moisture content at that point, and minimizes the tweaking later. Don't forget to soak the blumats in advance, and cap them underwater. Good luck!

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Lazyman is probably your best ticket for blumats in coco, I think he is running a bunch of them. I'm not in coco, but the best way I've found for dialing them in is to bring the media to the soil content you want (I water to runoff and let the plants sit for 24-36 hours), and then put the blumats in and adjust them to a clinging drop. This tends to hold the moisture content at that point, and minimizes the tweaking later. Don't forget to soak the blumats in advance, and cap them underwater. Good luck!

in my experience w/ the blumats the above is correct when running in soil. In coco your gonna want to dial them to drip a single drop about every 4 seconds or your coco will get overly dry, I literally had clumps of roots climbing out of the top of the coco searching for their next drip. also pull a bit of the line from the top to make sure it isn't pinched close, more than half of the blumats I've used have had this issue.

D

draco

hear this.

M

moodster

so do i add nutes to the res ? what about saltbuildup would i have to flush with plain water every 2 weeks please help handwatering coco is killing my back

D

draco

add nutes to the res yes.

every couple of days i roll the little feeder tube (that goes to the dripper) between my finger and thumb to keep it flowing.

there is a learning curve but it is no big deal.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Adding DripClean to the reservoir also helps with the build up.

guerilla415

drip clean is the shiznit.

blumats in coco are gonna be my first attempt at an auto garden so i cant wait to see what comes up here...thanks for sharing everyone

guerilla

D

draco

Maybe using drippers is cheaper in the long run than hand watering, as there is no runoff... which brings up another question:

how wet is just right? i know i set mine up as per instructions, but the medium does not stay at that level - it gets drier. so i open them up to where the pot seems pretty heavy but not dripping. this takes me a couple of days, but then things seem to stay pretty stable. i don't like the pots to feel light...

i've had several seedlings vegging on drippers for 2 weeks w/o any adjustments so far...

F

Funion

I use coco with my blumats.
I have those cheap plastic horti-saucers under each pot. I am happy with the moisture level of the medium when I see a little bit of wet in the saucer. Not standing water, but just wet coco debris that has settled in the saucer. This is what I try to shoot for.
If I get a couple of centimeters of standing water I'm not concerned. As long as it doesn't stay around for more than a day or as long as it seems the blumat isn't dripping to fast.

My advice is to saturate the medium. Then introduce the blumat and adjust.
Then over the next few days fine-tune the dripper to the moisture density you want. Then try not to micro-manage. Micro-managing is when I get my run-offs.

Blumats really are great!

M

moodster

so does the res need to be higher than my pots or can it be lower ??

bobblehead

Veteran
Maybe using drippers is cheaper in the long run than hand watering, as there is no runoff... which brings up another question:

how wet is just right? i know i set mine up as per instructions, but the medium does not stay at that level - it gets drier. so i open them up to where the pot seems pretty heavy but not dripping. this takes me a couple of days, but then things seem to stay pretty stable. i don't like the pots to feel light...

i've had several seedlings vegging on drippers for 2 weeks w/o any adjustments so far...

Maybe? lol... How valuable is your time? I will never do another grow w/o automated feed.

Sounds like your moisture level is good. I've found that when you get them saturated, but not overly saturated to the point of breaking the water tension and having nute solution come out of the bag, I have the best growth. I don't use blumats right now, but I do 1 minute feeds every few hours... Gonna upgrade to blumats one day when I can afford them. Probably soon.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Finally the blumats arrived! Now I need to grab a rez of some sort and find the right bit to make a hole in it for blumat tank fitting hopefully they'll be up and running by the weekend :) oh & btw.... Airpots rock!

Attachments

• blumats.jpg
    blumats.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: