What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should I flush cheap supermarket soil?

Hubbleman

Veteran
I got some cheap all purpose peat based compost / soil round my home improvement store. It says on the label it's got a month worth of nutes in it... now I got some proper expensive organic nutes I want to use instead, how do I go about it? Should I water the supermarket soil several times before planting? Will it get rid of synthetic nutes from it?

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Hi Hubbleman :)

This will not answer your Q, but why dont you
buy some proper good (expensive?) growmedia?
Guess I would.

That could make a perfect match for your proper expensive organic nutes.

:plant grow:

P :smoke:

Hubbleman

Veteran
The thing is, that hasn't crossed my mind :chin:

There's only one big garden improvement store in town...... I heard thro grapevine there's a small garden shop near by... I'll have to research it

h.h.

Veteran
Probably time release fertilizer. Flushing won't help.
Just deal with it or bareroot and repot.
You don't need expensive fertilizer.

Cvh

Supermod
I tried it once.

I had this bag of super cheap supermarket soil laying around.
I flushed it and amended it with some good organic amendments.
(Atleast I thought I got the synthetics out of it...)

But no, I was wrong. I planted into it and after a short while I was running into issues. Know as Synthetic Death. It can happen when you mix synthetic and organic nutrients. My plants where clawing like crazy and were showing several other overfertilization/lockout issues.

I managed to pull the plants through. But the soil was pure crap also. After a few weeks it turned into this compact block which took forever to take water in...

I won't be doing that again.

h.h.

Veteran
They use a binder that slowly desolves.

It would take a lot of flushing.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Dude you don’t want to take the advice given!

Learn the hard way. Watch your plants die. Next time you will make the effort to do things properly!!

Hubbleman

Veteran
Dude wtf?? I said I'm going to local nursery tomorrow to look for quality compost. I'll report when I'm back. Period

Hubbleman

Veteran
Going to garden shop tomorrow

What should I ask them ? I'm looking for plain organic potting soil??

What about coco coir? Do they add cheap nutes to coco coir bricks?

Read in the book some mix coir and perlite 50 50..... :chin:

I might do coir peat perlite 1:1: 1

redlaser

Veteran
A lot of soil mix recipes seem be based on (by volume)
45% drainage
45% peat
6-8% castings
1-2% roughly nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, and trace elements, whichever you choose.
I try to add a bit of local topsoil 5-10% too, so I put a bit less peat.

That being said, deficiencies come up unpredictably as time progresses, so it helps to top dress along the way.
Soil test is really the only way to see what’s happening, showed me high iron, phosphorus, calcium and aluminum. Low zinc and potassium.

If nothing else it tells you what you have too much of, so you can stop adding more.

Now I’ve go that phrase “supermarket soil” stuck in my head, I find myself whispering it under my breath

soil margin

Veteran
Going to garden shop tomorrow

What should I ask them ? I'm looking for plain organic potting soil??

What about coco coir? Do they add cheap nutes to coco coir bricks?

Read in the book some mix coir and perlite 50 50..... :chin:

I might do coir peat perlite 1:1: 1

My suggestion, if you want a high quality medium at the lowest price possible is start with organic coco coir (approx 40%). Add some perlite/lava rock/pumice/sand/etc. for drainage (approx 20%). Add some green matter like composted coffee grounds,leaves,egg shells,etc (approx 15%). Add some organic worm castings (approx 20%), and any combo of standard organic fertilizers to get your NPK levels setup (approx 5%). Some dolomite lime, azomite rock dust and you're good to go.

Throw some mycelium starters, a little biochar, humic acid, diatemaceous earth in there if you feel like splurging.

Last edited:

soil margin

Veteran

Hubbleman

Veteran
No such product on UK amazon

Got this instead:

picture.php