What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making use of a male plant

I have a few males that I'll be chopping down soon, one of which is pretty damn big.

I'm curious how ya'll like to use your males?

Do you consume any yourself? I've thought about using the top leaves/newest growth for myself for blending up into smoothies.

But I'm mostly interested in utilizing my male plants as food/nutrition for the female plants I have growing and the soil they are in. These male plants gotta be loaded with potential NPK and micro-nutes that they've pulled up & accumulated out of the soil/earth.

Do you like to just shred up the leaves and use it as top dressing? Do you like to do a simple overnight soak/brew with the leaves in water? Ferment with molasses & LAB? Or just tossed directly into a compost pile?....Etc etc....

Just wondering how some of you like to go about making use of male plants.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I feed them to my dog.
He loves chewing on the stems and they clean em out good. I know cuz I wield the poop bags.
;)

-cap

St. Phatty

Birds LOVE Cannabis, including males.

Chop up the males (like parsley), put most of it in the fridge (in a bag so it doesn't dry out), and try putting some out on a plate/tray with some sunflower seeds or something.

Wild birds will probably be all over it !

put it into the soil. cannabis accumulates Mn wayy faster than Fe, but normally htere is less Mn in the soil than Fe, so if you cut up osme cannabis you can add to the available stores.

therevverend

Veteran
I don't like using plants as top dressing for other plants because I'm afraid of spreading disease. For instance if there's a few aphids on your male and a few on the plant you're top dressing the leaves with they could concentrate onto an otherwise healthy plant. Or if there's a dormant fungal issue it could pop up the same way. I dispose of my males far away from my other plants, in a place I know they're going to dry out and die. I don't like the thought of a dying male somehow surviving long enough to release pollen. Best to bury them if they're about to release.

I'd recommend the compost pile, seems like the safest place for males. I keep meaning to cook with my males, they go good in any dish that uses greens. Swimming Rama, pasta, scrambled eggs, I've used the leaves the same way I'd use spinach, mustard greens, chard, or similar leafy green plants. Saute with butter and garlic.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make a tincture or after decarbing, steep in your favorite alcohol (wrap in cheesecloth to avoid mess).

BullDogDad

I like to juice raw plant material of either sex for it’s significant anti inflammatory properties. I got far more pain relief from consuming concentrated juice than I have from psychoactive forms.

Don’t make the same mistake I did and freeze raw fresh flower trim to be juiced later. I did this not realizing this decarboxylates your plant material. I gave myself a whopping psychoactive dose this way and it was not fun. Had trouble using my legs and there was some vomiting involved. :good:

Latest posts

Latest posts