What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kill healthy mycelium.

Grey_Wolf

the addition of some Mycorrhizae and perhaps azospirrilum should mitigate any root rot issues but it sounds like the original soil mix wasn't left to "cook" long enough before use but I could be wrong

Klompen

I hear what u are saying but too hot will definitely kill most of them. Cubensis grows on composted manure so its not so hot. Straight shit will kill them for sure. I have grown them before and would dump the spent sub into the worm bin. It always goes away and doesnt regrow. Oysters or othe wood lovers will definitely take over a grow medium that contains wood chips. I have mycelium grow in my soil a few times but its always from the wood lovers. If it gets out of hand like what the original poster is experiencing, then it can definitely cause root rot. Been there...

I guess we're looking at this differently, because as I see it, the composted soil has as much nutrition in it as the fresh material. The big difference is how available it is to the plant and in what form. Mycellium generally doesn't like nutrients to be volatile. Perhaps that is a better way to put it.

I guess we're looking at this differently, because as I see it, the composted soil has as much nutrition in it as the fresh material. The big difference is how available it is to the plant and in what form. Mycellium generally doesn't like nutrients to be volatile. Perhaps that is a better way to put it.

If the nutrients are volatile that means they are gaseous and blow away. Mycellium likes nutrients that are bound up in long chain, carbon back boned, molecules. If you want to get rid of mycellium add nitrogen sources. Integrate it into hte mycellium and it will become less dominant.

Bio boy

Sounds like you're putting waaaay too much food in your mix. Mycellium shouldn't be able to form a solid colony like that with the amounts of food normally found in a cannabis grow. Are you doing some sort of super soil?

Dude really? I grow shrooms.

I use raw coco as a block. And i pick 1
Popcorn
Rye
Any grain
Millet
Cowpoo

Just 1 is enough... To collinate a solid block. That soil has somuch in it breaking down it will be a fesspit for it. Mental. Mushroom rewuire nothing to grow. If u even try suppliment them ul kill em. Only thing is teaspoom of honey or gypsum or coffee but defo rewuire not alot to groe.

Cant i get new soil? Or mix it at 33% to peat and lava rock.

Amend it with amendments ousyershell gypsum rockdust kelp neem etc and start cooting

Cvh

Supermod
Personally I use Cinnamon (tea) as an organic fungicide.
It's well know for it and there is lots of info about it.
For example: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10658-019-01882-0

But I only have experience with it to (successfully) combat fungus gnats and as a anti-damping proactive aid. I have never tried it to kill off an entire Mycelium cake.

You can brew it (literally cooking) into a strong tea and try it to kill the Mycelium cake. Or topdress powdered Cinnamon on top of the soil to limit Mycelium growth.

Please Google for more info about the fungicide effects of Cinnamon. It truly works, I use it all the time.

Quoting myself.

I noticed a fungus gnat infection in one of my pots a couple of days ago.
I hung a yellow sticky paper on one of the branches and added layer of cinnamon powder on the soil surface and watered it in.

Today, there are ZERO fungus gnats to be spotted. This in less then a week!

Try it if you are one day dealing with fungus gnats, yellow sticky paper and a layer of cinnamon powder on the top of the soil then watered in.

:wave:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Would doctor Zymes work? It's an enzyme product. I use it for mites. I love it because it kills the eggs too. I also use it as a fungicide. It will even kill budrot. It's safe enough to use it as a post harvest dip to kill botrytis and powdery mildew. The grey or white fuzz of budrot will turn black and you just cut out all the black parts and throw away.
It's safe to use on pets too, so it's non toxic.
Maybe it's strong enough of a fungicide that it could help. If not you could mix it a little stronger with less water.
I'm not sure what it will do, but it's the safest most effective product I've used so far.

Fitzera

Just an idea, but I would reach out to Paul Staments and see what he suggests. If there is anyone who would know what would compete with that mycelium, or help slow/stop its growth, he would be that person.

Fitzera

Trichoderma?

Well I'm not sure he would want to introduce triche to his pots. Youre right in that its the last thing we want to see when growing mushrooms, it will destroy your hard work...but is it harmful when growing cannabis?

I was thinking more along the lines of something beneficial or at least not harmful to the other organisms. Im not sure though, im really new to the mushroom thing and don't know much yet. All I really know about triche is that it's bad and if it's green its already sporulated.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
That's sort of a broad statement considering how many high-density food sources that mycellium is known to colonize. Its really the balance of water, light, and oxygen/co2 that govern how well it thrives on a given food source, but with the right conditions it can definitely colonize very "hot" sources. Cubensis for example will grow in straight horse manure that is sterilized, and cow manure if its hot composted for a few days and then sterilized. That's a heavy feeder of course, but there's definitely mycellium that voraciously devours what it can when the conditions allow it.

I used to farm mushrooms, and used to add calcium nitrate to my mix to increase nitrogen, and increase yield without increasing contamination..so well ..yeah..to those who say salts kill the microbes or N will kill the mycelium..

Trichoderma on the other hand should kill the mycelium or the mycelium might devour the trich, depends on the species LOL oysters can be gnarly in out-competing their pathogens and consuming them..

..though I've had weed growing out a pot, with a san pedro and delasperma ground cover, super happy, growing off old blocks of shrooms as potting mix, with cubes growing out as the nutes gave the old substate new legs..LOL a real trippy pot..but yeah microbes sensitive to PH, most basic salts are just food for them..NPK, water, hydrogen, oxygen, the primordial building blocks of life..

Klompen

Those are all nutrient-dense media. Try growing a plant in most of those things and you'll see what I mean. Coir can also grow shrooms but coir is very nutrient dense(plants just can't unlock it as well as mycellium does). Mushrooms need WAY MORE food than plants do(or at least they need it more rapidly).

Dude really? I grow shrooms.

I use raw coco as a block. And i pick 1
Popcorn
Rye
Any grain
Millet
Cowpoo

Just 1 is enough... To collinate a solid block. That soil has somuch in it breaking down it will be a fesspit for it. Mental. Mushroom rewuire nothing to grow. If u even try suppliment them ul kill em. Only thing is teaspoom of honey or gypsum or coffee but defo rewuire not alot to groe.

Cant i get new soil? Or mix it at 33% to peat and lava rock.

Amend it with amendments ousyershell gypsum rockdust kelp neem etc and start cooting

moses wellfleet

Veteran
So this is a weird one. What kills fungus?
I have this 300 gallon pot that just got completely taken over by mycelium a couple years ago. It seems to have happened again.
It doesn't seem harmful to roots in any way. It totally colonized the pot and turned into one solid mycelium cake. If you have ever grown psilocybin mushrooms, it looks like that. Just healthy white mycelium all the way through. No slime. The problem is that it makes it difficult for water to penetrate the substrate.
Is there anything i can water through it that will kill fungi?
Any updates on what happened to the mycelium, has made quite an interesting thread?

So in between one of my crops this popped up in one of my 75 gallon notill beds. its about the 3rd run in this bed. Should i be worried about them ?
I've stated my next run in them and there doesnt seem to be any issues.

Attachments

• photo2026400.jpg
    photo2026400.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 58
  • photo2026401.jpg
    photo2026401.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 60

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
So in between one of my crops this popped up in one of my 75 gallon notill beds. its about the 3rd run in this bed. Should i be worried about them ?
I've stated my next run in them and there doesnt seem to be any issues.
I'm happy when I find those.

St. Phatty

So this is a weird one. What kills fungus?
I have this 300 gallon pot that just got completely taken over by mycelium a couple years ago. It seems to have happened again.
It doesn't seem harmful to roots in any way. It totally colonized the pot and turned into one solid mycelium cake. If you have ever grown psilocybin mushrooms, it looks like that. Just healthy white mycelium all the way through. No slime. The problem is that it makes it difficult for water to penetrate the substrate.
Is there anything i can water through it that will kill fungi?

Birds will eat it but you have to give them a chance.

300 gallons sounds heavy.

If you lived near me I would suggest unloading it in my driveway, near the quail habitat. Then peeling off the container.

The chickens would go to work, eating the mycelium.

And then the Quail would come out & eat more.

As long as they don't eat all the roots at once, the plant will continue living.

CrushnYuba

I've stated my next run in them and there doesnt seem to be any
I have had this yellow one! It is freaky how yellow it is. I was told it was a wood loving fungus. The mycelium crept up from the bottom of a plastic 1 gallon pot and when i transplanted it, i saw all these yellow ropes. Maybe a year later i saw its fruits.

CrushnYuba

20220610_185455.jpg

Here's some after it has been fully dried out so it's pretty dead and then it t was chopped and tilled. It was a pretty dry winter so it didn't get crazy colonized to the point that it ate an entire 300 gallon pot like that first year. But if you noticed when it died, it bruised blue. I think it has to just be Psilocybe azurescens. I have 100% had azurescens grow out of my pots before and on old fallen oak trees. My old worker used to feed them to the trimmers. Very white dense rhizey growth. Then it dries blueish. Definitely no green.

Attachments

• 20220610_185504.jpg
    20220610_185504.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Paradoxlost..I used to farm mushrooms and I don't see anything incorrect about Klompens statements? I used to farm cubes too, on uncomposted raw horse manure, enriched with horse wee soaked sawdust full of urea, and then still bump up the N with calcium nitrate, so as to not bump u N with more grain and risk competition from contaminants..They fookin devoured it...You guys talk about cow being hotter than horse, you are just showing that you don't know what you are talking about, how many stomachs does a horse have? Cow poo already comes out the arse half composted..LOL Horse is hotter, horse wee soaked sawdust is much hotter, calcium nitrate is on fire. They dont care...Oyster mushroom will eat diesel fuel and grow perfectly edible mushrooms, it is that adaptable. Fungi will surprise you.

I grow full hydro now, coir perlite and salts..and I have at least 2 or 3 species of resident fruiting mycorrhizal species that appear in the pots, they don't seem to mind the salts diet at all LOL, and neither do they mind the peroxide in the water.. I used to farm weed in greenhouses in the forest and have supersoil beds mixed up, still feed molasses and then salts in between and I used to get reishi mushrooms, ganoderma lucidum that would fruit up through the beds from the dead tree roots underneath...This thing of salts kill your soil fungi and microbes is a false rumour spread by organic hippie living soil fascists LOL

I'd break up the surface of the colony with a fork, it is a done technique, scarifying I think they call it, in mushroom growing to break up the overlay layer that prevents the colony from rehydrating, or fruiting..the rest of the colony will remain intact, in fact I took a bunch of a mushroom colony this week and broke it all up and spread it among woodchip and its just regrowing as they do..the mushrooms in your soils are very healthy and also a sign of nice aerobic and humid conditions..You are not going to get fusarium or pythium or other root rots when you have a big healthy mycelium. I've saved plants before that got a root infection, but sticking colonised sticks from a really vigorous anti biotic species of mushroom, and it worked like a charm..root rot dissapeared in days as the mycelium spread through the soil..I was watching a similar vigorous species this week living on some brown box cardboard, make a halo and grow around some aspergillus mold, and then it is now consuming it and rendering its black spore clear again showing that it has been denatured through enzymes or some means and metabolite of the shroom... :) Fungi for the win..I use them extensively for my pathogen control of all kinds, on a large commercial scale and they work..keep them around, the good ones, let them work for you, just work with them..no need to kill them, manage them..

Yellow one is most likely yellow pot fungus or yellow pot mushroom or yellow lepiota, its common in nurseries and pot plants..I never see root rot when thats around..I think its toxic but we not eating the mushroom, they are beneficial in the pot..

Latest posts

Latest posts