What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Differences between different "tea" preparations?

I'm wondering about what the differences are between the various ways a "tea" can be made? In regards to what is available/beneficial to the plant & the composition of the tea.

Using nettles as an example....

What is going to be difference between....

Simmering nettles in water for 20 minutes or so, just as if making a tea to drink.

Soaking nettles in cold water overnight or for a few days.

Aerating nettles in oxygen rich water for a day. Or for a week.

Anaerobic fermentation of nettles in water for a week or two.

Letting nettles sit in anaerobic water for several months.

Just wondering about what each of these different preparations/"teas" has to offer plants/soil?

How will their composition be different?

mexweed

Veteran
I don't think anyone has had their teas that depth of lab tested especially for all the different methods to actually know an available npk

boiling water probably leaches more water solubles and doesn't allow for microbe growth

the more air/bubbling the more microbes, the more microbes the more of the food sources get broken down

I don't think anyone has had their teas that depth of lab tested especially for all the different methods to actually know an available npk

boiling water probably leaches more water solubles and doesn't allow for microbe growth

the more air/bubbling the more microbes, the more microbes the more of the food sources get broken down

I'm not wondering about specific #'s or NPK analysis of each type of "tea"...more so just wondering about the basics of what differences there are between them and what each has to offer, or why one would want to use one over the other or specific situations one might be best to use.

Thanks for your simple description of a boiled tea and an aerated tea...That's kinda what I'm wondering about, just things simply put "into a nuthshell".

Like why would one want to ferment nettles in water versus aerating it? What differences are there between nettles aerated in water for a week or two versus nettles that sat in anaerobic water for a week or two?

mexweed

Veteran
the types of bacteria would be the main difference, personally for my grows indoors I just aerate stuff, worm castings or insect frass for 24 hours, if I was growing outdoors/greenhouse though I would totally have a bucket of stuff and let it sit ideally get it full of rain water, otherwise fill it up with the hose and let it sit between waterings

h.h.

Veteran
Fermentation releases co2 resulting in a higher concentration of nitrogen. It helps to break down material. Specific microbes are multiplied.

Aerated teas increase total microbial counts. Nitrogen is gassed off.