What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tincture based hard candies please help

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I take the sugar/water/corn syrup to the hard crack stage/300 degrees when heating and every recipe says to add tincture and flavoring after once sugar drops back down to 250 degrees. When I add the tincture/flavoring the candy really wants to start hardening quickly. To the point that it is no longer a liquid. Is this normal? I can’t seem to keep the candy liquid enough that I can fill molds properly at all. Any help is greatly appreciated!! We invested quite a bit to get this going so we need a solution to this asap.

I wood

Extracted oil is my preference because it melts in easily but I have made enough candies to run into the hard to soon issue.
Just putting the pan back on hot but off burner remelts the candy blob pretty easily and gives you another chance to pour it into molds.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I have the same issue, I add the tincture and flavoring once the bubbling stops, usually I have to put it back on the burner for a moment like I wood suggested.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I make candy all the time. And, yes, it's a short time from when you take it off the stove until it's too hard to pour. LOL Gotta be quick. LOL

Are those the only ingredients in your candy? I like to make caramels because they use oil.

Trying to effectively mix the tincture in after reaching 250F or above is probably not going to work well. I can't see it mixing very well in that short time. Some pieces are going to be VERY strong and others might have nothing.

I make the canna oil FIRST. Whatever recipe you like. I use rosin with coconut oil. After I have the oil properly blended... THEN I make the candy. If you don't want to use oil, you can make canna sugar.

You can also take caramel to the hard crack stage if you want hard candy. Or, keep it a little lower and make 'sugar daddy' consistency or (I have one friend with almost no teeth left LOL) make it a soft and chewy caramel.

Whatever you're recipe, I'm pretty sure that you're going to have to mix the rosin (or whatever) and some ingredient BEFORE you make the candy. Otherwise I can't believe it will mix efficiently in that short of a time.

And remember...... Don't forget the lecithin. It is about the best homoginizer known to man and it also assists in bioavailability so the edibles can be more effective.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We want to make the clearest possible candy. Tincture is recommended by many for this process so that is how its being made. Everclear based tincture with one oz per 300ml of everclear. We have been wondering why we cant add the alcohol based flavor extract and tincture from the beginning. If thats possible i think that will help a lot. I appreciate everyones responses here!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Doesn't the Everclear give the candy a terrible taste? I used tincture made from Everclear a few times for edibles and I was not happy with the taste.

As for mixing the tincture prior to heating and mixing the other ingredients.... why not? Other than being very careful at 300F that you don't start converting or evaping off the THC. I would think that would work much better than trying to get it in at the last minute. And, I am not a big fan of re-heating. It gives inconsistent results in the hardness at times.

And, lecithin is definitely going to darken it up. I use liquid sunflower lecithin and it's almost black.

Make a couple smaller batches to start and get though the learning curve. Candy is a pretty easy edible once you get the hang of it.

Good luck and take a few pics to keep us updated.
Peace.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Adding the tincture and flavor extract from the beginning was a huge win! The molds came with temperature safe syringes that pour super slow. So we very moronically tried to use a plastic bottle with a nozzle and it melted it and ruined most of the batch. But the few we used the syringes for worked out great!!! They look great. We made a blueberry thyme infused extract and they taste amazing and two candies got us ripped. Very stoked. Making another batch now. Any suggestions on a temp safe product that can pour a large back quickly would be awesome!

Attachments

• 44BC2F0A-088A-4322-8CC8-6C552D7F8F17.jpg
    44BC2F0A-088A-4322-8CC8-6C552D7F8F17.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 54

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ring-
What flavors work best? Was thinking cinnamon, mint or chocolate mint. Have a lot of glycerin tincture on hand. Allergic to letchins. Any substitute?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Flavor is subjective. I don't like most flavors. I often use citric acid and make sour candies. Still, caramels are my daily go to since they are so easy and the temp stays below 250F. And, everyone seems to like the caramel flavor.

Also keep in mind the difference between a hard candy that melts in your mouth (sublingual) vs eating brownies or other soft foods (through the GI tract). HUGE difference.

As for lecithin substitutes, you have a couple choices. Make your own at home from raw soy beans. Or, try sunflower. Maybe the allergy will change with home made or sunflower. If all else fails, egg yolks are an excellent emulsifier.

Egg yolk is an easy-to-find lecithin substitute and a very effective emulsifier or binder. Substitute one large egg yolk for every tablespoon of lecithin powder. Egg yolks also have a much higher fat content than lecithin. If that's a problem, look for an egg replacer powder at your local health foods store.

This site says cocoa butter also but I have never tried it... https://www.leaf.tv/articles/coconut-flour-substitutes/