What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with Christmas Cannabis Cookies

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Wifey makes cookies for friends and family every Christmas.
This year she wants to make Canna cookies. Last time we made edibles the taste was horrible. So this time she's going to use bho instead of flowers.

Can any one help us out?

The bho is homemade so it's untested as far as THC levels.

Do I decarb the flowers and trim? Then make oil?

Or make oil then decarb?

Or should I do both?

Also- we have ghee. If I melt this ghee, add oil, then cool to solidify, then can I use this at same amounts to replace butter in her recipe?

I have powder lecithin. When do I add this?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I would say to add the lechithin while the butter is melted before you mix it in the batch of dough. I keep forgetting but my system can absorb the goodies without it.

Bad taste from flowers? I hope you strained out the material before you put it in the batch!!!

Be careful as some people really react to edibles and also their kids may get into the batch.

I wood

Decarboxylizing has never been needed in my experience, the baking takes care of that.
In theory i can see it getting the last bit of strength out of cookies though.
My method was to melt rso into warm butter and proceed with cookie recipe as normal. it seems any concentrate could be used the same way.
One gram oil to 36 cookies was the standard and half a cookie was sufficient for most.
This produced cookies with about 28 mgs extracted oil each. The actual thc content was probably 60-80% of that.
Your bho is probably cleaner than my ethanol extracted oil so i would think not much taste would be noticeable.
Dont forget to label everything to avoid mishaps with anyone careless.
Lecithin is used by many with good results but i have never found the need due to the low tolerance of myself and people around me.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Found lots of recipes online. Saw some said 7-14g of flower or 3.5-7g concentrate to one stick of butter.

As long as everything is decarbed before hand, I don't have to summer the butter/bho mixture for hours, Right? Just as long as it takes to dissolve?

Hookahhead

For really clean tasting butter...

- Add butter to crock pot set on high.
- When butter melts and starts bubbling add your bud.
- Sauté bud in butter for 10 minutes, it will change from green to brown.
- Add a liter or 2 of water and let cook for an hour
- Allow to cool to around 90-100 degrees (so you don’t burn yourself)
- Strain butter/water mixture through cheesecloth in a colander. Ring out to get as much liquid as possible.
- Allow to set at room temp for 30-60 min (this lets suspended particles settle)
- Place mixture in the refrigerator overnight to harden.
- Collect your butter slab on from the top
- Add butter slab back to 1-2 liters of hot water (not boiling), allow butter to melt and give it a good stir.
- Place back in refrigerator to harden again. It’s ready for use now.

Bobby Boucher

I blast and then decarb my bho in a small electric oven @290f until the big bubbles stop forming.

I’ll stick an incandescent lightbulb under my stand mixers mixing bowl to melt equal parts coconut oil and bho, after which I’ll add ~2% soy lecithin to the mix by the final volume of the recipe. Then I’ll start slowly adding whatever ingredients are listed in whatever recipe I am using.

I use 1 gram decarbed bho per box of cookies, which I’ll divide out into 12 equal cookies on a kitchen scale using parchment to transfer.

I particularly enjoy just making one big cookie cake in a cast iron pan. The crust you get just begs for a good frosting, too.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I blast and then decarb my bho in a small electric oven @290f until the big bubbles stop forming.

I’ll stick an incandescent lightbulb under my stand mixers mixing bowl to melt equal parts coconut oil and bho, after which I’ll add ~2% soy lecithin to the mix by the final volume of the recipe. Then I’ll start slowly adding whatever ingredients are listed in whatever recipe I am using.

I use 1 gram decarbed bho per box of cookies, which I’ll divide out into 12 equal cookies on a kitchen scale using parchment to transfer.

I particularly enjoy just making one big cookie cake in a cast iron pan. The crust you get just begs for a good frosting, too.

I was just reading about cannabis infused Icing!

Bobby Boucher

Blasting, decarbing, weighing and transferring can be grossly expedited by only using 1 vessel throughout the process.

A $20 .35mm PTFE roll comes in clutch af in my kitchen. I've origamied up a 12" circle like a standard coffee filter for bigger blasts, and a couple 8 inch squares into 4" boats for smaller applications. They are rigid enough to hold their shape in the hot oven, or while they are filled with up with liquid tane, and they are light enough to throw on a postal scale to get a final weight without having to collect everything 2-3 times..

I like to use the .08 ptfe rolls for making bho slabs, being that they are easier to peel cleanly, but the .35 stuff is great for everything else.

It's basically self cleaning with how the dab beads off in the oven, it's rigid enough to pick up and transfer around when if its full of liquid, the creases make for excellent pouring spouts, and they last forever.

I like to decarb at a slight angle, so that all the dab beads up in a corner of my vessel, and then throw it in the freezer for a few minutes at the same angle to make for a one and done collection process. Any remaining dab gets remelted and scraped up on a hot plate with a rubber spatula, leaving the sheet spotless and ready for the next blast.

I've done this a lot. People have been bothering me almost every day for this type of thing as of late. Just thankful I've found a rhythm.

Last edited:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Until or unless evidence suggests otherwise teflon, or ptfe, coating as a high temp non stick surface for things including processed cannabis resin looks good. Glass containers are ok if you'll be rinsing/washing them with solvent, for example making an edible oil or tincture.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Most recently I used a modified recipe from @marijuanaresearch on instagram for cannabis infused goat milk. The main takeaway I'm sharing is four hours on the lowest heat setting in a pressure cooker. I cooked the cannabis + water this way, let it cool, then reheated added soy and sunflower lecithin and blended for 2+ minutes. A different recipe I used before called for spreading the cannabis out thin in a toaster oven at 215 F for 45 minutes, then lecithin and coconut oil and another 45 minutes. Then optional freeze and/or reheat steps for desired sleepiness if I recall correctly. Straining is easier with cheesecloth and a sturdy lemon press I broke one of the yellow softer metal ones. The cannabis oil in the toaster oven is very potent, and particles are strained out with cheesecloth. The one in the pressure cooker goes right through the strainer after blending so no separation or filter just cook and eat.

Bobby Boucher

I figured I'd put this here, too.. lol.

I know the title wasn't "help me blast my dab", but for the sake of argument, your cookies might be a big success and you might find yourself having to make small batches of bho on demand.

A little tiny 2" sanitary spool only runs 15 bucks, and a 6" column with the rest of the parts and pieces can be had for <100 bucks on amazon. This little thing only takes 14g of flower or trim, which comes in pretty clutch when I run out of my own smoke, since I'm the type of weirdo who never likes to buy or carry more than an ounce at a time.

It's just a goofy photoshop job you're lookin at, btw. lol. This little guy makes me smile, though.

Attachments

• 51RM43PSBOL._SL1050_.jpg
    51RM43PSBOL._SL1050_.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 43