What's new

LED vrs. HPS

BudMan30

Hey everyone budman here. I'm looking for info on led lights compared to HPS. If they have the power to outdo or equal to HPS? Also what brand would you recommend. Thanks everyone! Because the last thing I want to happen is for me to spend alot of $ on them to just be dissapointed.

T

trem0lo

Hi BudMan. It depends. Many are able to get 1g/watt using good LEDs, sometimes more. Most grows I've seen are around .75g/watt and some less which is about on par with HID lighting. The variation in quality from the major vendors is a big problem LED shoppers face, so rather than invest in something that may or may not work well, HPS is easier, has a proven track record and is much, much cheaper. There's no simple answer for which panel to buy, unfortunately. I'm sure someone can recommend a few good places to start though.

If you buy enough LED lamps you can come close to the best HPS bulbs, but the price of admission is quite high. I remember knna saying that you'd need 700w of high quality LEDs to equal a 1000w HPS, and that's assuming you build it yourself with good attention to thermal design and current. That would cost upwards of $2500.

so far my diamond series 200w led is doing as good as my 400w hps. of course there are more issues with hps, and i was allowing high watts per square foot with hps, therefore creating more issues. always had heat issues. with the led's, no heat issues, and the plants REALLY enjoy the led spectrum. my 200w led is used in a 2x2 cabinet.

siddhartha

Hey BudMan,
I just finished my first side by side with led vs HPS. I used a black dog platinumXL vs a 1000 hortilux. The Led had superior resin, smell and taste. The yield was identical. just over 1.5 lbs per light. the led had a smaller foot print with the led having 3.5 x 3.5 vs the HPS having 4 x 4. I am pretty impressed. I ordered a plant cam and plan on doing a journal for this next cycle.
Sidd

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take a look at the numerous links in GP73LPC's sig for lot's of good information that directly applies to your questions.

siddhartha

This is a Sour D grown under that platinum XL

picture.php

Another Sour D pic

picture.php

and two little OG ghost under that same light

picture.php

picture.php

totally yield was about 1.5 lbs dried over a 3.5 x 3.5 area with a 18 day veg

Sidd

T

trem0lo

Over 2 grand. But you can't argue with the results.

A 1000w HID setup costs ten times less. You have to weigh the differences.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LED is better, IF you are prepared to spend the money. i agree with KNNA that the actual LED watts used need to be at least 70% of the actual HPS watts you would use (keep in mind HPS uses more than their rating). in order for the yields to match up.

quality is a little better with LED imo

VG

not to get off track but im just wondering if a shit ton of pl-l's might be a great wa to go? ive got my method of growing down but with changing seasons changing lights if avoidable would be nice, heat and all being to much alot the tiime with hps.

BudMan30

What's up Sid. Man that sour looks good ass helll.. anyways I assume your a scrog man sence you yielded that much in that type of space. I give you mass props. Wait did you get 1.5 all together or each? If you could send me the link to the company u got the less from. Thanks alot Sid keep I touch, pumped to see the plant can.
Budman

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The LED grow used here yields an ounce per liter of grow media, rockwool in this case.

Small buckets are 8 liter, medium are 12. 15 liter rounds and 35 liter trays. All come out the same based on root volume.

The LED's do not grow the plants any better, but the chlorophyl is fed more efficiently allowing the supplements to do their job better. Same as HID except for temperature gradients caused by radiated heat.
HID's are a regular oven, LED's are a convection oven.

Without having to use airflow to cool walls and tables and ceilings the temperature can be held within 2 degrees of optimum.

The amount of LED light per container is 448 watts and another 500 watts supplement. Average container volume is 18 liters and turnaround is 43 days for indica and 47 for sativa.

This is unchanged from an equal wattage of HID with supplement, the number of fans dropped to 6 from the 17 used with HID.

It comes down to my comfort with growing and ability to pay. The units cost $2000 USD per each and it took five to be efficient.

Pictured are the last few containers coming out, for production line consistancy the LED's are good also. Lots of pictures of different plants all looking similar. Nothing special about the growing, plants in, plants out.

Finishing up on posting as the room is phasing to another use. The LED's have been good to me and I would do it again, but the LED's are not more special than the HID's they replaced.

Attachments

• Next one.jpg
    Next one.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 13
  • LED sativa.jpg
    LED sativa.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Indica whole plant.jpg
    Indica whole plant.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Indica and Sativa.jpg
    Indica and Sativa.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Sativa cola.jpg
    Sativa cola.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 19

siddhartha

Hey Budman,
I dont think i am aloud to post links, but if you google Black Dog LED you should find them, the platinum XL is the light you want. the totally was 1.5 lbs dried under the light. 9 sour d's averaged about 2.5 oz per plant and 2 ghost kush that were about 1 oz per plant. I usually do scrog but not with these girls. I have a light mover that moves 1 ft, gets really nice coverage for the more open growing plants. My plant cam is still on back order but i will set it up for this next grow and keep a journal. I have 2 platinum XL's now and am way stocked. It is going to be a hot summer so i don't plan on begin able to run HID.

Sidd

BudMan30

Well I have air cooled reflectors with a 6" vortex for my filters and a 6" Max fan for my light outtake. All is ducted to the out side. Plus I have a 6" fesh air intake going into the room. On top if that I have my CO2 going which allows an extra 10-15° without stress in the plants. Or so I read. Hows the veggin under LEDs?
Thanks for all the advice man

siddhartha

The veg is actually what sold me on the lights. My buddy had a white rhino cut of mine that i watched him veg. The leds veg short and bushy. Hard to explain. But the trunk diameter at soil level is bigger, the branches are thicker, but the internodes are close together and the plant is shorter. Since height is an issue where i am at this was huge for me. There is also no shock. When i vegged under T5 and then flowered under 1000 HPS the first week the plants always looked bad. Using the one light start to finish there was no shock. Your set up sounds similar to mine. With CO2 and cannibis i would try and not let temp get above 82 with 78 ideal. Your set up sounds like mine, i actually had to get a speed dial on my fan cause the temp dropped so much from switching out one light. Cant wait for both of these to be running. Really worried about temps this summer. Where you able to find the lights online?
Sidd

BudMan30

yeah I found em. They look like there. Uilt to last.. yeah im stress in the summer heat to man. Wouldn't it be nice to live in Alaska hah. Anyways 2 grand is steep but is worth it in the end. Man I feel ya on the plant stress from the T5-HPS too.

So how many of them would I need to equally my two 600s (flower) and my 4 bukb T5 sunblaze?
Thanks again for the Insite Sid. Are u a soil or hydro guy?

siddhartha

Ya they are pretty solid. I replaced my 1000 with the platinum xl. The one i used for this last grow was an older generation, it was $1800. I ordered the new one that is $2000, it is supposed to have some new chips, they said their testing should more yield, they also hooked me up with the old price when i called them, you might want to give them a shout on the phone. To replace 600, i am not sure, My lumatek and galaxy 600 never yielded anywhere near my 1000. I used them because they produce less heat and in the summer i could run 2 600 at about the same temp as 1 1000. but only had a slight increase over just one 1000. I dont know if i have bad ballast or what but i just never had much luck with 600s. So if you are going much over a pound per light i would go platinum. If you are 3/4 of a pound i bet the next one smaller would kill it for you. I veg under the 360, it covers a 3x4 footprint awesome. Really impressed with the veg. my veg room stays cooler than when i had my 8 bulb 4 foot fixture, and like i said the plants stay short. The ones on the edge will need to be rotated to the center but all in all i am stoked. As a side note, when i talked to the guys he said he vegged under the "flower" light and it worked for him and that is what he recommended for me. So i actually have the 360 "flower I have been organic growing organic soil for a few years now, but i am switching back to hydro for this grow. The market has become very competitive in pricing with less regard to quality. Of course i will still have a few organic soil plants for my special patients.

Sidd

Last edited: