What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

bongkong

The stanley blower is not that loud, but it's definitely not stealth. For instance, when I'm typing on my PC in my loft adjacent to the room where the stanley is at (with the door open) all I can hear is my PC fans. However, when I shut my PC off, I hear the stanley fan. I would estimate it at 4 or 5 sones, but I'm no way near sure.

Bulénath

Whats up Guys! Oh man i am very sorry for not helping and replyin sooner. This first school semester has me really busy. Its been years since last attending college. Anyway, im sorry to leave you haning since posting last! I never abandon my threads EVER. But ill try to be here more often, since this thread has been getting lots of hits! Thanks everyone.

(will edit and reply before sundown)

bongkong

little cab

little cab

Here's the relatively small veg box that I'm working on...a quick tutorial on how to build a veg box...

Go to Wal-Mart's closet section and get this:

Buy an 80cfm whisper fan from here: http://www.westsidewholesale.com/in...350772.24886@@@@&pid=857&CATEGORY=634&back=16

Build the cabinet. The phooking doors suck and you really can't get them to meet too well, so you'll have to get some weatherstripping. I'm going to do it later.

Take the bottom off of the fan by unscrewing the 4 or 5 screws in the circular holes:

Put the bottom back on...then carefully position the fan...then lift the fan up. This will be your template for cutting the vent fan hole:

Outline the hole with a sharpie and cut a hole with a jig-saw. As you can see, mine is "flicted" (as we would say back in the ghetto where I be from)

Next, get some duct tape and apply to the hole that you just cut to lilft up that nasty-@ss particle board dust from the edge. After doing that a few times, use some aluminum foil tape and tape around the hole so that the dust particles from the cut don't go everywhere:

Put the fan back together and mount the fan on top of the cab. Screw in 3 or more screws in the provided holes around the fan to keep it in place. I'm ghetto fabulous, so I only used three screws (NASA-style, you know how we do it)

Here's a pic from inside the cab looking into the hole:

Now, turn it on and watch it suck (literally). I forgot to mention buying a darkroom louver and installing that on the side of the cab. Here is a pic of a paper towel being sucked against the darkroom vent by the fan:

Use a vacuum while simultaneously making the cuts, because dust goes EVERYWHERE.

I'm going to put my homemade 250W metal-halide in this tomorrow...then buy some weather stripping. I've got 4 seedlings that are about 3/4" tall....and I need to get this box up and running soon.

I'm going to scrub the box using a method like this: http://www.gardenscure.com/420/secu...tivated-carbon-filter.html?highlight=scrubber

I'm also going to put some of that carbon filter over the fan intake INSIDE of the box so I will get some double-duty scrubbing action.

Feel free to post criticisms or responses. I know it ain't pretty, but it'll work.

Peace,
BK

Bulénath

Bongkong,
response to 1-23-07
I dont thik the standard carbon filter air filter sheets will work alone. You need to build a true carbon scrubber.
If you mounted the fan on the roof of the cabinet, it wont be that hard to conceal, just use a picture or some old beer bottles.
Restricting the exhaust is never as efficient as restricting the intake. Only use a filter on the intake, if you can.

Gontfronts,
response to 1-23-07
The 80cfm fan I got rests on bare wood. It dosent vibrate at all, so a dampener is useless. I don't know how much vibration to expect with the larger, higher rated sone models.

dontcryout,
response to 1-26-07
Im sorry but I dont have experience with any wattage larger than a 150HPS. I run an Air Condition with my 150HPS just to keep temps as low as possible. Lower temps means denser, frostier buds. Shoot for 65-70f if possible, dont redline.

Are you planning on using the fan to cool the lights, or as the main exhaust? I am worried that a 600HPS may generate too much heat for the panasonic to handle. But I don't know the fan's maximum temperature threshold. Regardless, I am concerend that if the Panasonic is used to Cool-Tube a 600HPS, the light's high heat may break the fan. Please look into this.

mysticls,
response to 1-26-07
It's better to pull air through the scrubber because it's more efficient. Therefore it would be a better idea to hook the Panasonic up as follows: Canfilter----Light-----Fan----Exhaust.
That is when your using the model with a circular intake!
Since I use a 150HPS, I just use a computer fan to cool my light, and use the Panasonic to exhaust the cabinet.

Tokin White Guy,
Thanks my friend! Please feel free to share your knowledge and help out!

mysticls,
response to 1-28-07
I have never tried the set up I just mentioned. I have only seen that set up used with an Inline fan, such as Vortex. Panasonics larger CFM models should be very able to accomplish that set up. My main concern would be the additional air-flow obstruction of a cool tube or air cooled hood. I don't feel it's a matter to worry about, however. Though it's worth noting that the larger CFM models should be considered if choosing this set up. Again, please check the Temperature threshold of the Panasonic you intend to purchase.

bongkong,
response to 1-30-07
Im very sorry for not replying sooner, and will try harder to keep up with this thread. Aloha.

HIDEyourBUD,
I don't have any experience with models other than the 70cfm and 80cfm models. Nor have I heard any fan rated at 1.6 sones, or even close to that noise output. I would guess the noise would be noticeable if someone was walking by. You may have to stealth it with a small sized, $30 HEPA air fitler from Walmart.

the protege,
response to 1-31-07
There are many links throughout this thread, that will direct you to a website that sells these fans.
I got my Panasonic Whisperfan from Ebay. REWilliams is another place, and the website is usually the first listed when searching for "Panasonic Whisperfan" through Google.

mysticls,
Response to 2-1-07
!!! to you to my friend. :)

WaylanJennings,
good advice my friend, thank you!

Bulénath

Bongkong,
Beautiful work being created man! Glad to see you posting along side of me today.
My friend I am concered that the 80CFM fan alone may not be enough to cool a 250MH, especially because your pushing through the canfilter.
My 80cfm is reduced to about 60cfm after pulling through a tray of carbon 2" thick.
And im only using a 150HPS. I think you may have to use an air condition and/or have an extremely efficient method of cooling the 250MH.

Not only that, but the dimensions of that cabinet seem very small for a 250HPS. Its only 3.5 square feet, so thats 70W per square foot WITH a 250MH in LESS than 3' of height! All of this combined makes me worry that 80CFM wont do the job. You sure you aint using a 150MH? That would actually be PERFECT for that cabinet. (which looks like the reincarnation on the Mills Pride u-2)

On a side note, I agree with putting a filter sheet over the intake of the fan. I was looking at my 70cfm model with no filter, and the inside is VERY dusty. It wont be easy to clean, and it definately looks like it may hinder the fans performance, eventually.

Last edited:

Bulénath

I have some recent information to report.

My first 133-day grow using the Panasonic Carbon Scrubber was successful. After 140 days of use, the carbon was still effective at removing odors. However, because the carbon was not protected by a pre-filter, the carbon became saturated with dust and actually clogged the fan! I returned home one day to find my fan blowing NO air, and making a loud choppy noise! I trashed the 2.5 pounds of carbon, and turned the fan back on without carbon. Everything was cool, and the fan returned to normal. However I have yet to refill the carbon tray, so I dont know if the motor was weakened by this. The fan could have very easily burned out, so I can only hope for the best, and place a filter sheet OVER my carbon, to keep out large particles.

On the same note, because the carbon clogged up before it lost its ability to remove odors, I will now try using less carbon, even if I have to change it more often. This will hopefully reduce uneccessary stress on my expensive fan, thus extending its life. This will also relieve the CFM restriction and cool my cabinet better.

Aloha everyone, thank you all!

Last edited:

bongkong

Thanks, Bulenath

Thanks, Bulenath

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement, Bulenath.

I used the Ryoko method to scrub 4 male plants (before I knew that they were males) using a Stanley fan. The Stanly fan is very powerful. Even though those 4 plants were in early flower, they stunk up the place before I used the Ryoko method.

The Ryoko method only uses a carbon air filter, which doesn't restrict the airflow that much. I'm not going to use the small veg box for flower, so I'm POSITIVE that anybody wanting to srub a box in veg with this method will be successfull.

I used to have a C4 Mill's Pride veg cab.

I wanted to improve on the design, so that's why I'm building this new box with the whisper fan and scrubber. The 250W MH light worked just fine in my previous C4. I only had a rather large radio shack fan sucking air out...but I DID have TWO computer fans blowing in air on either side of the cab. I'm hoping that the power of the 80cfm whisper fan coupled with the good flow of the darkroom louver will cool this box just as nicely. If not, then I guess I'll use some PC intake fans...but they leak light like mad.

I don't have a green thumb and I always end up growing charlie brown looking trees. Before I switched to that 250W MH in veg, my plants would be very tall and skinny. Now, at least they come our of veg around 12" tall and bushy with NO pruning and NO LST. Now, all I have to figure out is how to feed the herb. I used to use strictly organinc, but I would always end up either over or underfeeding. This time, I'm going to copy Sumo and use miracle grow potting mix with time-released ferts in veg...then I'm going to use nat guano and brown sugar in flower.

I just trashed my 4 Dutch Passion Green Spirit seedlings because I just received my order of Nirvana Blue Moonshine...and I would much prefer growing them out instead of the hermi-leaning Green Spirit.

Peace and love, and let's keep this thread going. Thanks a bunch to Bulenath for all of the great info. Let's keep our fan intakes clean!!! These fans are too nice to skroo up!!!

bongkong

I meant to include the fact that I used the Ryoko method on those 4 plants inside of a C25, which is a lot bigger than that veg box I'm building.

the actual Panny Whisperline fans (in my sig) are a little bit quieter, as well as cheaper, but they are set up as inlines, so Bulenath's scrubber design won't work with it, but the old SunIsShining can-style scrubber will

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
I can attest to these things. Bad ass. It makes some noise if you're next to it. But close the door and it's gone. The air coming out is moving though. Use insulated ducting with it and push through a filter and it's almost completely silent. I bought the inline 240cfm last month. Wonderful!

Also, to save you any research... http://www.iaqsource.com/ Best price that I had found.

Ryu

waiting on a few replies for just that question.

If these really are as groovy as they seem, it's a dead cert someplace will.

Begin the hunt (preferably without import tax)

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
The bathroom exhaust fans like this are available at the homegrown stores, I use a 150 to exhuast a small room. My simple scrubber uses 10 inch square net pots from wallyworld that fit this type fan like a glove, and are simple to work with. A net basket sandwitch would work.
H

caveat emptor

caveat emptor

A word of caution to all would be panasonic whisper quiet owners. Panasonic's Installation Manual for the FV-*VQ[3,4] series fans has the following prominent warning.

Do not install this ventilating fan where air temperature may exceed 40*C (104*F)

Additionally they recommend against following the fan with a 90* elbow.

These warnings are found on page 4 of the manual.

I am still considering one of these for a 150HPS cab I am designing.

KillerWeed

harold

i asked a few companies if they ship to the uk and it doesnt look good for people living out of the states... i really need this fan :badday:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
KillerWeed said:
A word of caution to all would be panasonic whisper quiet owners. Panasonic's Installation Manual for the FV-*VQ[3,4] series fans has the following prominent warning.

Do not install this ventilating fan where air temperature may exceed 40*C (104*F)
Additionally they recommend against following the fan with a 90* elbow.
I am still considering one of these for a 150HPS cab I am designing.

KillerWeed

Yes all true, I have a setup using 90 degree elbows and it is not causing any problems. one of the problems is that the outlet air builds up and causes the fan to speed up and cause excessive noise. I'm waiting on the glass to finish the build however 2 90's venting into open air is no problem.

I'm no engineer but I would recommend upsizing the vent, the panasonic fans use a 4 inch outlet, and I've seen a 4 inch to 5 inch adaptor.

FlyinHawaiian,
The bathroom style fans have a 10"x10" opening, the grille comes off, but you would need to DIY a converter to get down to 4" dia. I would recommend something tapered for better airflow rather than just covering the 10x10 opening with sheetmetal with a 4" hole. Lowes and homedepot seem to carry the Braun brand. If you want the panasonic, and after looking at the price comparison with the Braun, I would. You can check your local HVAC supply houses to see if they will order them in, or they may stock the standard bathroom sizes.

KillerWeed

GrassArt

FlyinHawaiian and KillerWeed,

The solution to his problem I think is that he needs an In-Line DUCT fan, not just a ventilation bathroom fan. These in-line duct fans, also made by panasonic, come in a 4" for 120CFM, at 1.0sones, 6" for 240CFM at 1.4 sones, and 6" 340?.. and larger

I actually just picked up today the Panasonic Whisper Line 240 CFM 6" Duct In-Line Fan, from...

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/index.cgi?CATEGORY=632&HN_SessionID=@@@@1189627422.6025@@@@

Cheapest possible, let that be an update on the cheapest fans available for these panasonic Whisperline fans, it is now westsidewholesale.com

Hope I helped and Hope my fans quiet as it supposed to be!!!

GrassArt

Latest posts

Latest posts