What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What’s the deal with these new LED lights?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah if your tempted by a 90 day light loan to test em out you can get a p400 or higher possibly, use it for a grow and send it back..

beta

Veteran
Yeah bro but amazon ratings dont mean shit unless both:

1. you're looking at 50-2000+ reviews AND

2. 75% of the positive reviewers seem like they have a brain (of their own).

Anything under 10-20 reviews and you're a space chimp.. who knows what you gonna get. And thats not always bad so long as you know 100% what you're getting.

Thats an inefficient and relatively weak (compared to what the samsung diodes can do with a wopping 450w) and overly hot blurple rig.. it would grow something but meh. Nice presentation which is often a sign all the cost is in conning you through asthetics..

Review Meta
https://reviewmeta.com/

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
It says its a 450w though?

Do you mean each switch reads 200w when on?

This might help...

Quality Led Grow lighting is typically rated to last 50,000+ hours before needing replacement. Check both the full-capacity wattage and the actual wattage, The full-capacity wattage is the full wattage the LED chip can handle. An LED lighting system may contain 100 5-W LED chips totaling 500 full capacity watts. However, when that light system is operating, the LED chips may only draw 3 W each for an actual wattage of 300w. Led chips are more efficient (more lumen per watt) and last longer when ran at less wattage because less heat is generated. The closer the actual wattage is to the full capacity wattage the faster the system’s light energy will degrade over time.

Veg light running 16hrs a day 365 days a year = 5840hr veg per year.
50,000hrs divided by 5840 veg hours = 8.56 years minimum estimated of operation.

flower light running 12hrs a day 365 days a year = 4380hr flower per year
50,000hrs divided by 4380 flower hours = 11.41 years minimum estimated operation.

Mengsk

Some of the comments here sound a little dated. Re: Chinese manufacturing, are any of the LED grow lights on the market not manufactured in Asia? I think Sunlight Supply in the US produced magnetic ballasts, do they still manufacture in the states?

"Gavita ballasts are made by Lumlux Lighting in Suzhou, China as filed by Gavita with the FCC."

They are manufactured in Asia. Saying something is cheap because of where it is designed or made isn't accurate. You can hire a nitwit engineer from the US or China maybe. You can also seek out the best or top tier equipment. Pretending like the quality suffers is a fallacy a joke because there is no other option. There may be levels $50 $250 $500 and maybe those go with quality which is true anywhere you look. I would say foreign or domestic but we do not have a domestic market do we?

LEDs may be the new thing. It takes a while. If they worked so much better from the very start then it is likely you'd see more grows with them. To this day I am not seeing pounds and pounds of buds harvested from LED grows. It may happen but not as prevalent. When something is new, just guessing or generally speaking, it is more expensive with more trouble in the beginning possibly more than it's worth. But over time the pioneers who used the new stuff will help it improve. And in time it's possible that they will take over with $/watt or $/yield or quality of product. It can take a while to gain momentum because at the beginning when expense and risk are both high less people will spend money on LEDs when we don't see pounds harvested. Once they gain traction which might take years then more sales will help drive more development. Similar idea with any emergent/replacement technology. A lot of lighting is sold at a markup to make money, car stereos home televisions marijuana growing. Retailers see all of these as good opportunities to charge whatever you'll pay. In the past there was a mechanism for leverage I guess you could say. Instead of telling your customer this light came from an industrial supplier of grocery stores or warehouse lighting, you frame it in a scenario where the customer is going to yield $5k of bud every couple months. So a $100 light selling for $300-400 is no big deal, 300 for me and two pounds per harvest for the customer. Now with legalization the veil is lifted I'm not saying it's good for everyone but that's the way of the world now phony Amazon reviews. How to discern between cheap, cheap+markup, quality?

Last edited:
It says its a 450w though?

Do you mean each switch reads 200w when on?

I don't believe any posted wattage. I measured with a watt meter at the plug.
Prior to the 2 Viparspectra I bought 2 really cheap (sub-$100) Chinese LEDs on Ebay advertised at 1000 watts measured 100 watts at the plug.

Hubbleman

Veteran
For the lover of Chineese technology

3 years ago I ordered a expensive flash light that was supposed to dish out 16000 lumens or some shit, little did I know it was made in China and when it arrived it was under 1000 lumens :)

beta

Veteran
For the lover of Chineese technology

3 years ago I ordered a expensive flash light that was supposed to dish out 16000 lumens or some shit, little did I know it was made in China and when it arrived it was under 1000 lumens :)

When you have one experience with a race and then apply that experience to everyone in that race, that's the textbook definition of racism.

One time I bought a Chicken Fried Steak and a roadside diner and it sucked. Therefore, all restaurants make bad food.

THC123

Veteran
Viparspectra is shit I needed 4 600watt units in my tent to get a good coverage, that is over thousand watts. 2 Units just werent enough for my 5x5 space. They grew beautiful plants though but I was consuming more.

Their coverage just really sucks.

Fluence spydrx plus is the one I will be getting next!

Hubbleman

Veteran
When you have one experience with a race and then apply that experience to everyone in that race, that's the textbook definition of racism.

One time I bought a Chicken Fried Steak and a roadside diner and it sucked. Therefore, all restaurants make bad food.

If ONLY it was "just one experience" :moon:

Hubbleman

Veteran
THC123

Let's get down to cases :joint:

Amazon reviews:

1 star
ze: 450W led grow light
no way this can replace a 400w hps,dont even think it can replace a 250w hps, wish i sent it back but the 30 day return ran out,i"m going to sell it on ebay anyway, waste of time and money, i had a another 240w led that out powerformed this led,total rubbish.

4 star
Arrived quickly, and well packaged, in a plain box.
Light works well, but has far too much blue for flowering.
I thought growth was ok, but i just replaced with a mh, and growth just exploded.

5 star
Packaged well, arrived all in one piece and promptly. Fully working. Packaging is discreet. Would buy again

5 star
8 weeks in, no complaints what so ever. Quiet enough for 24 hour use, not overly hot, 30" recommended. Tomatoes love it.
Will buy another.

5 star
great service arrived on time, works as well as they say, my plants are loving it

5 star
It’s cool, it’s quiet, it’s strong enough light if your just wanting it for your own plants. Happy days

Plus another SIX 5 star reviews.

In fact, in all 12 reviews there was only ONE negative review.

After what THC said I'm considering 're ordering it, as I got very small grow space 2 x 2 feet

Hubbleman

Veteran
Take a look at this guys:

picture.php

Hubbleman

Veteran
Gotta wonder why they spell it "conparison" and "energe" :chin:

Also anyone knows country is CXB manufactured at??

Hubbleman

Veteran
Also put into account cxb is 2 times more expensive than viparspectra.

And from their product description :

Highly hang the lamp will weaken the energy and affect the growth cycle of the plants, so the lamp should not be hung too high. At same time, don't hang the light to plants too close, or it will damage plants. About 0.8~1.2 meters height is a good choice.

1 + meter height???? Maybe for growing cabbages and tomatoes :chin:

What's the recommended height for viper spectra dudes??

Also got another thread going on the height distance.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358203

Waw I'm loving icmag, so much information :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

LOL :tiphat: