What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trump implies that he might legalize cannabis.

EasyGoing

Well, it's happening folks. Trump wants to end federal prohibition against legal states, and state rights!!!!!! For some reason, this isn't making the head lines, so I though I would pass some of the most important cannabis news in 100 years!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ate-legal-marijuana-programs-alone/515376002/

Trump agrees to leave state-legal marijuana programs alone

https://hightimes.com/news/trump-makes-deal-protect-states-legal-cannabis/

Trump Makes Deal to Protect States with Legal Cannabis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.52a2a33cf589

Trump, Gardner strike deal on legalized marijuana

Now the real question, if Trump legalizes cannabis, will the cannabis community celebrate? I know I will be, good job Trump. Credit where credit is due. IMO, Trump will agree to any legalization bill put in front of him, it's a new dawn my fellow pot growers. :tiphat:

Last edited:

justcallmenugs

Nice, but I'll hold off on the celebrating until it actually happens!:tiphat:

With the way things seem to be going, it looks like it'll actually happen regardless of what either side says.

One side claims it brings peace, the other claims to bring revenue.

Then again, Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

Heads high, we've already made it passed 2016, let's see it through. Much luck to everyone out there!

-Nugs, Windtree Farms

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
America’s fast-growing marijuana industry could be poised for supercharged expansion after President Trump promised to respect state-legalized pot in a deal with a Colorado senator who had been blocking presidential nominees.

Republican Sen. Cory Gardner on Friday announced he’d received assurances from the president that federal agents would leave alone states like Colorado that have legalized recreational cannabis. Gardner had been blocking nominees to the Department of Justice since January over the issue, and on Friday relented.

“President Trump has assured me that he will support a federalism-based legislative solution to fix this states’ rights issue once and for all,” Gardner said in a statement.
Gardner didn't elaborate on what specific legislation Trump said he would support, although Congress is currently considering several bills that would legalize cannabis at the national level.

The country’s rapidly growing marijuana industry has struggled with fears Trump’s administration would alter the Obama administration’s policy of letting legalized pot flourish in states where voters approved it. Many traditional investors have shied away from pouring their capital into the industry over fears they'd be treated like drug traffickers, and a strong sign of support from Trump over Congressional action might provide the reassurance they're seeking.

Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner watches as students in rural Eastern Colorado use their new Google-issued Chromebooks to work on a Wi-Fi enabled school bus in April 2017.

Gardner, an ardent defender of states' rights, says he's secured a promise from President Trump to leave Colorado's legal marijuana industry alone. Colorado voters who approved legalizing cannabis also mandated that millions of dollars in marijuana taxes help fund construction in rural school districts. (Photo: Trevor Hughes/USA TODAY)
Mason Tvert, a longtime marijuana activist who helped lead Colorado’s legalization efforts, welcomed the news. “It has been a long and difficult process, but we may now be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel," he said. "This is one more step toward ending the irrational policy of marijuana prohibition, not only in Colorado, but throughout the country."

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is widely considered hostile to cannabis, and in January he rescinded an Obama-era memo assuring state-regulated marijuana dealers that federal prosecutors would leave them alone if they followed state regulations intended to keep pot out of the hands of kids and money out of the hands of drug cartels.

Nine states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational pot, although not all of them regulate and permit retail sales. Today, more than 60% of Americans believe recreational marijuana should be legal, double its popularity in 2000, according to a January poll by the Pew Research Center.

Medical pot access enjoys even stronger popularity, numerous studies have found. Thirty states and the District of Columbia have legalized some form of medical cannabis, which already enjoys special protection from Congress.

A federal crackdown on cannabis risks tens of thousands of jobs and potentially billions of dollars in taxes that are already funding school construction, homelessness services and college scholarships.

Medical and recreational cannabis sales will hit $11.7 billion this year, predicts cannabis analytics firm New Frontier Data. For comparison, wine sales in the United States were worth $60 billion last year, according to the Beverage Information and Insights Group.

In January, Sessions said he was rescinding the memo to give prosecutors more discretion, which was widely interpreted as a hostile move. But because Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign said he would respect states’ rights to legalize marijuana, the cannabis industry has grown increasingly frustrated with the mixed messages.

Marijuana advocates are pushing Congress to drop pot as a Schedule 1 controlled substance, which could give the industry broader acceptance, potentially opening up access to bank accounts, traditional investing and even the ability to ship products across state lines.

Many leading marijuana industry executives say they’d stopped worrying that Trump and Sessions were truly targeting their businesses.

“If Jeff Sessions wanted to shut the industry down, he could have shut the industry down,” said Leslie Bocskor, the founder of Electrum Partners, a cannabis investment and advisory firm. “He doesn’t want to kill it. In my opinion he’s trying to say to Congress, are you paying attention to the will of the American people? Ultimately, these people are political animals. If somebody who could kill it was going to kill it, it would be dead already. And they haven’t.”

*I must say that it does look kinda possible that there might well be a positive change for cannabis....under FEDERAL LAW.

.....and that's a good thing....but before we go celebrating about it, lets first see it happen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ate-legal-marijuana-programs-alone/515376002/

Last edited:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Let's see how high his approval rating soars if this should actually happen.

....... and let's see the look on Jeff Session's face if he has to stand back and watch it happen.

EasyGoing

....... and let's see the look on Jeff Session's face if he has to stand back and watch it happen.

I hope a meme is made the exact moment Jeff Sessions realizes he is beat. And a joke. And a douche..... Best meme ever, lol.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
When I hit that Washington Post link in your first post Easygoing I get this: HTTP Status 404
Cache Status [ACTIVE] Active

/polit...=.b97ece557eb2

MÈthode Portal Server / 2.2.7

EasyGoing

Super strange, it was there when I started the thread. Not now......

Google on overtime purging the internet of any positive Trump news? My conspiracy cap is on, lol.

Edit: Should be fixed now. Thank you Gypsy.

justcallmenugs

That's all Session's will do, sit back and watch. It's all he's good for, you'll see, his head is going to pop with "fury".

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Talk is cheap....waiting to see if this really does come to fruition. DJT wants it to go back to states. Let's watch.....

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I'm just wondering how it will affect me if cannabis does become legal FEDERALLY in the USA.

Will these federal charges against me in Maine that the USA was just refused my extradition from the UK for (all cannabis related) ....be dropped?

.....Then I can travel again outside the UK without fear of being detained and possibly extradited from some other country for these charges that are still active stateside.

justcallmenugs

I'm just wondering how it will affect me if cannabis does become legal FEDERALLY in the USA.

Will these federal charges against me in Maine that the USA was just refused my extradition from the UK for (all cannabis related) ....be dropped?

.....Then I can travel again outside the UK without fear of being detained and possibly extradited from some other country for these charges that are still active stateside.

That's something you should definitely look into. I'm pretty sure there's a wave of expungement hitting the West Coast of USA and not just in California. That's something to definitely stay on top of with what's coming.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
That's something you should definitely look into. I'm pretty sure there's a wave of expungement hitting the West Coast of USA and not just in California. That's something to definitely stay on top of with what's coming.

Oh, no worries about that....I have been awarded a public defender in Maine who is in touch with the prosecutor in my case, so I guess that its best to work on this thru him..

I have never even set foot in Maine in all my years, and have only had contact with this public lawyer via phone/internet, but he sounds like a decent sort of chap.

EasyGoing

Short term, no. I believe what's coming down from the federal level will be a recognition of state rights, and keeping legal med and rec states legal. I don't think that applies to you.

However, long term, yea. 5-10 years. Gov is super slow. I hope I am wrong and tomorrow it all fades away for you.

justcallmenugs

Oh, no worries about that....I have been awarded a public defender in Maine who is in touch with the prosecutor in my case, so I guess that its best to work on this thru him..

I have never even set foot in Maine in all my years, and have only had contact with this public lawyer via phone/internet, but he sounds like a decent sort of chap.

Wow, that already seems hectic. Well, as long as you're already being defended. Let's hope he's more decent than he sounds!
_____________________________________________________________________________ :yeahthats ________________

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's only a matter of time. There is no victim so there is no crime. Millions of Americans have used cannabis with absolutely no ill effects. With legal recreational use this will be proven with no doubt going forward. The Emperor Wears No Clothes.
Burn1

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

It seems reasonable, yet cog wheels of justice (or change in perception/statutes) system are s-l-o-w.