What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THAILAND LEGALIZES MEDICAL MARIJUANA, KRATOM

therevverend

Veteran
I guess I got ahead of myself, posted news about a struggle over cannabis patent laws in Thailand when there wasn't a post about medical cannabis getting legalized in Thailand.

https://www.voanews.com/a/thailand-s-legislature-legalizes-medical-use-of-marijuana/4715171.html

It's good news but I have mixed feelings about putting medical cannabis in the hands of a corrupt authoritarian dictatorship that's destroyed what was once a thriving cannabis culture. Along with ganja they've also legalized kratom for medical use which is a traditional pain reliever native to SE Asia that acts similar to opiates with less baggage and addiction.

Here's another article about some of the fallout.

https://www.voanews.com/a/not-everyone-is-high-on-thailand-s-medical-marijuana-law/4724407.html

Indoor growing only! They'll be ignoring thousands of years of culture growing long season outdoor tropical varieties to focus on indoor Western medical strains. The licenses are far too exclusive. As in much of Asia it's who you know that's the important part.

Certainly an opportunity, if you're an experienced grower in the Western US that's familiar with Thailand and Thai culture it could be an opportunity. Especially if you know someone with ties to the government.

Hopefully their Western 'expert' will direct them towards old style Thai Stick varieties along with modern CBD and medical THC strains. I'd love to see a research product on what made the old Thai Stick so special and unique.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The indoor only part makes me worry they will try something stupid like an eradication program for outdoor cannabis.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
I guess I got ahead of myself, posted news about a struggle over cannabis patent laws in Thailand when there wasn't a post about medical cannabis getting legalized in Thailand.

https://www.voanews.com/a/thailand-s-legislature-legalizes-medical-use-of-marijuana/4715171.html

It's good news but I have mixed feelings about putting medical cannabis in the hands of a corrupt authoritarian dictatorship that's destroyed what was once a thriving cannabis culture. Along with ganja they've also legalized kratom for medical use which is a traditional pain reliever native to SE Asia that acts similar to opiates with less baggage and addiction.

Here's another article about some of the fallout.

https://www.voanews.com/a/not-everyone-is-high-on-thailand-s-medical-marijuana-law/4724407.html

Indoor growing only! They'll be ignoring thousands of years of culture growing long season outdoor tropical varieties to focus on indoor Western medical strains. The licenses are far too exclusive. As in much of Asia it's who you know that's the important part.

Certainly an opportunity, if you're an experienced grower in the Western US that's familiar with Thailand and Thai culture it could be an opportunity. Especially if you know someone with ties to the government.

Hopefully their Western 'expert' will direct them towards old style Thai Stick varieties along with modern CBD and medical THC strains. I'd love to see a research product on what made the old Thai Stick so special and unique.

Being married to a thai lady I find this interesting to say the least maybes times are changing now for the better only time will tell :tiphat:

romanoweed

I mean whatever may be bad on it.. It will be a wake up for neighboring Counties, wich have insane laws just for consumption of cannabis.. What was it.. Malaisisia.
I mean 1 Foot to the North (Thailand)and you are healing yourselfe while smoking and ownign Cannabis..
1 Foot to the South(Malaisia) and you are about to be threated like a murder... As soon as this Inbalance comes into media, wich i think it will, then Malaisia nearly has to make a move, since they are the outsiders with their Law..
There we got some of the harshest (Spikes ) , or Changes in the Map of global marihuana laws.
The Phillipines wich arent too far are going crazy at the moment about Drugs in overall. They go the other way.. they are about to criminallize everyone more and more, but in General this Movement in Thailand may have a huge impact, since in this Se Asian Regions we had the hardest Marihuana Laws bundled all together.. for a long time already.
This is definitely a Change in the Map of global Marihuana Law!

I even cant believe it.

But it seems to be the happy Truth! I would be ready for some Holidays ..
Would be something of the nicest to be smoking there, while Laws become more like in Florida eventually, (maybe Laws become generally easyer for everyone) and just walk inside the Jungles , and wouldnt be risking to much.. just a little bill ..
And you could even find wild Cannabis. Take some.. walk further.
I mean i would like to do that in an idyllik place like that.... Never wanted to go to Southamerika cause all this Drug money.. this strange Persons you may buy it from.. Overall to strange in Feeling, especially for such a wonderfull Herb. It doesent fit it.

romanoweed

Could that mean, that: Thailands Medical Cannabis Experts could legally exchange Seeds with US Medical Cannabis Experts? hahaha! Hopefully we could therefore get some real powerfull Thaistick seeds in Future!

Yeeeaaaaah!

therevverend

Veteran
The indoor only part makes me worry they will try something stupid like an eradication program for outdoor cannabis.
This has been going on since the 1970s, the USA gives them aid based on how hard they crack down on ganja growing. This is the case in many places, Pakistan, Mexico, Columbia, Turkey, US aid is determined by whether the DEA thinks they're doing a good enough job cracking down on drugs.

This doesn't mean they're changing their hard line stance on recreational and homegrown medical cannabis. They're one of the most anti-cannabis countries in the world. However once they realize how impractical and expensive indoor growing is I'm guessing they'll change their minds.

therevverend

Veteran
So not much chance of any Thai stick reaching us then,,,lol

An interesting research project, there's different angles to it. If someone was an studying anthropology at a university and needed a project. Or someone was fluent in Thai and knew the country. Or someone who worked for Phylos or was studying cannabis DNA. Or just an old fashioned strain hunter..going to Thailand with a camera or even just a tape recorder. And tracking down the people who made the traditional Thai Sticks.

Interview them, how long it had been their cultural practice, how they grew the plants, how they bred them, all the stories and culture that we're losing as these people age and die.

Thai Sticks have been gone, probably since around 1980? Replaced by Chocolate Thai which has also faded away. The Thai Sticks weren't necessarily destroyed by prohibition but by the enormous export demand for high quality cannabis in the West. The hours that were spent trimming and tying together the buds with string. A friend who dealt pounds of Thai in the 70's does a similar thing with sage bundles. Finds the awesome high desert sage in the Shasta area and southern Oregon. Sells them to head shops occasionally.

When the demand and $ was too great the mass produced product became the Chocolate Thai which was great stuff but not as good as the Sticks. Then the DEA spent big $ eradicating the Chocolate Thai so you have the mass produced type stuff you see in the article I linked to. It looks like nice stuff, especially for SE Asia but I doubt it's the old Thai strains. Looks like modern hybrid ganja.

romanoweed

It looks like nice stuff, especially for SE Asia but I doubt it's the old Thai strains. Looks like modern hybrid ganja.

in the secound link in that video you linked... that does look like real thai.. i suggest . I dont see why you shed light on that site of Future.. Or is it just concern.. In the video you linked too, wich reported i dont know who, but may be someone that might get a job in future buisness, cause why should they just film a common recreational user..? Lack of information for TV-Team? Maybeee. But eventually he is a researcher for indigenous Strains, to find good Strains with special Qualities for Medicine.
Not shure if im getting that right. Hahaha. he doesent want his name spelled. But why should they film a random smoker getting high?
Im really unshure, but atleast this are my hopes. And probably you are right therevverend.
My feel slightly tells it will really float some high Quality Thaistickseeds to us soon.. Cant imagine Thailand overlook their indigeen Landrace strains, and no Cannabisenthusiast over there transform the Idea of goooood Strains into Reality.But just Feels, not more.

therevverend

Veteran
in the secound link in that video you linked... that does look like real thai..

Yeah the outdoor plant in the 2nd link looks like a narrow leaf tropical type grown outdoors. I wasn't able to get the video to play but the guy holding the scissors seems to be white, maybe footage from a legal state in the USA? I doubt anyone in Thailand was volunteering to be videotaped with their ganja plants. Maybe email the segment's producer..

I was talking about the 1st video the confiscated ganja that the gov't is going to turn around and sell for medical or research. Here's a link to a Forbes article that contains a bit more information plus some silly stuff, like how Thai Sticks are a schwag shishkabob.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andreb...proves-one-very-important-thing/#121454e214b3

I tried to find a good rundown of Thai cannabis laws the best I could find was wikipedia. Pretty harsh but comparable to some states in the USA..

Penalties[edit]
Possession, cultivation, and transport (import/export) of up to 10 kg (22 lb) of cannabis may result in a maximum sentence of five years in prison and/or a fine. Possession, cultivation, and transport of more than 10 kg is punishable by 2 to 15 years in prison and/or a fine. For the majority of people arrested for simple possession of small quantities of cannabis a fine, rather than prison time, is imposed. Narcotics police in Thailand view methamphetamine (Thai: ยาบ้า; RTGS: ya ba) as a more serious issue.[2]

From 2 to 15 years' imprisonment and a fine of 200,000 to 1.5 million baht for production, importation, or exportation.
From 2 to 10 years' imprisonment or a fine of 40,000–200,000 baht or both for disposal or possession for the purpose of disposal. If the quantity is over 10 kilograms, the penalty is increased to a maximum of 15 years and a fine of 200,000 to 1.5 million baht.
Imprisonment not exceeding five years and or a fine not exceeding 100,000 baht or both for possession.
Imprisonment not exceeding one year and a fine of 100,000 to 1 million baht for consumption.[5]
Enforcement[edit]
Cannabis can be found openly sold in bars and restaurants in certain parts of the country.[6] In tourist heavy areas cannabis is commonly found, businesses openly sell "happy" goods which have cannabis in them. Cannabis dealers sometimes work with police who shakedown customers and demand a bribe. Many tourists do end up in jail despite the relaxed attitude.

I believe it's one of the places where they can shake you down on the street, haul you of to the police station for a UA? If you test positive you're guilty. Not 100% sure but that's the policy in some SE Asian countries.

Oldyoungrower93

I do sincerely hope old strains are grown by the new generation growing indoors. I do think some thailand people still are traditional enough yet they may use modern advanced technology, this may be off topic at this point but I found that part very intriguing good and bad. To me its all to create less diversity, monoculture and so-called more immune and adaptive species. I mean chocolate thai was experienced by many people and virtually dissapeared.

romanoweed

I just read the plan to ONLY LEGALIZE CBD WEED, 6 Plants for everyone, not just recreational Cannabis. And the already leglized Medical MArihuana i seem to read is also only CBD-Weed. All with Maximum 1 PErcen Thc. And the Pollen of all this CBD-Weed might soon grow in who ever wants Garde. Regarding that Pollen can fly up to 5 Kilometer, it is a Danger for still recreational Thai-Weed-Strains. I mean how they wanna reproduce These Strains if they are Outdoorgrowers?

Look here in first Post, then later where yesum says its all CBD : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368005

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I have been following this for months the Government has legalized medical cannabis and set up its on research and body to over see research and production but it wont allow GW and other corporate cannabis industry's in.It has produced natural cannabis high THC low CBD and are also developing other strains with different % in there labs.

They also plan to protect there genetics as Africa and others are now doing.
The recreational cannabis laws will allow each Thai house hold to grow up to 6 plants high THC.

romanoweed

I didnt read too propper, just Google-Lines.... Law Text would be more trustfull. I hope you are right HEmpy!

E

ESTERCHASER

considering that only a few yrs ago the army were killing "suspected" meth users,dealers, etc the kings men have been bad boys! I dont trust monarchies........growing indoors in thailand is STUPID!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I have been following this for months the Government has legalized medical cannabis and set up its on research and body to over see research and production but it wont allow GW and other corporate cannabis industry's in.It has produced natural cannabis high THC low CBD and are also developing other strains with different % in there labs.

They also plan to protect there genetics as Africa and others are now doing.
The recreational cannabis laws will allow each Thai house hold to grow up to 6 plants high THC.
i thought that was going to be in January ,,

i m hoping so ,,

kinda puts the crazy laws in Australia to shame ,
who said Thailand was backwards ... lol ..