What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Node spacing far

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Its my first attempt at running seeds indoor.

I have plants about a foot tall in 1 gallon containers, there is a node a couple inches from my soil, but then nothing until about 5-6 inches up the plant and there is 3 inches from that to the main top.

Just wondering whats up with the spacing on it, should i have topped it a while ago? Does topping a plant help with it to branch more/bush?

The strain is Dosido x unkown seed from last fall, something polinated my garden outside and i only ran clones outside last year, I didn't see any bananas or male flowers in my garden when harvested. Just found a bunch of seeds

Thanks

green-genes77

Veteran
Sounds crazy viny. There are some viny characteristics here and there in the cannabis genome so it could be that.

Then again GSC and Face Off OG, in my experience, have pretty lackluster internodal length unless worked studiously from the start. You might just be getting a lot of that influence via the Dosi.

Just to throw this out there: are your lights strong enough and close enough, as well as of the right color temperature, to encourage tight internodal spacing? A problem there can make even the squattest plants into lanky messes.

Is there a possibility of using LST techniques? I would tip it soon but taking it back to the first node is extreme unless you want to give it the time it needs to grow back while you train it.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At least with dosi types I liked pinching. If you top keep an eye out for follow up pruning, they like to sprawl all over and eat up canes/ties.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Sounds crazy viny. There are some viny characteristics here and there in the cannabis genome so it could be that.

Then again GSC and Face Off OG, in my experience, have pretty lackluster internodal length unless worked studiously from the start. You might just be getting a lot of that influence via the Dosi.

Just to throw this out there: are your lights strong enough and close enough, as well as of the right color temperature, to encourage tight internodal spacing? A problem there can make even the squattest plants into lanky messes.

Is there a possibility of using LST techniques? I would tip it soon but taking it back to the first node is extreme unless you want to give it the time it needs to grow back while you train it.

They are under a 600 watt metal halide. the light is about 3 feet or so from the tops. I have em packed pretty tight on the tray.

The tray is a 4x4 with 49 in 1 gallon pots.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
3' is a bit far for a 600w. Cannabis also grows very tall when planted tightly together. Bring the light down 12" and, if you can, widen the space between the plants. The spectrum on lamps can also change as they age.